Michael Dokes is the perfect example of talent >>> hard work.

VeryFuglyNiyguhs

VeryFuglyNiyguhs

887 high t beast

Easily the quickest heavyweight that isnt Muhammad Ali or Floyd Patterson(despite him not even starting out at heavyweight.) And dare I say he's even more talented than Tyson, Holyfield, Lewis even.

Angelo Dundee witnessed his speed and said he's never seen a heavyweight that fast since Ali at his peak in the 60's.

“There is no limit to what that kid can do if he trains, focuses, and uses the talent God gave him.”

Jimmy Young was a heavyweight contender in the ring with foreman, ken norton, Ron Lyle, and Ali.

He said this about Michael Dokes.
“He’s the fastest fighter I have ever seen, and if he can control himself, he will go far.

However severe drug addiction plagued him and it's the main reason he couldn't stay on top losing to a guy he should have on paper beat named Gerrie Coetzie

Btw he trained on Jack Daniels and cocaine for that fight.

He gave Holyfield absolute hell even after falling into severe drug addiction due to his talent.

Interesting fact:
Holyfield and Donovan Ruddock faced both Tyson and dokes and claimed DOKES IS the quickest fighter they've ever faced.

Holyfield:
Michael Dokes: I can tell you the people who had good hand speed – Michael Dokes would be the first one. I hit him with six and he’d hit me with six. (Laughs.) He could have his hands down and throw punches from different directions and get you before you were able to get your hands up. He was quick and he had punching power as well.

Ruddock:
Dokes: His hands were quick and he was exceedingly experienced. He had lightning speed that you would not see coming. At the end of Round 2 he stunned me with his sharp left hook and I knew I had to keep my cool because he was going to keep coming at me. There is a reason his nickname was “Dynamite”.

Still he managed to compile a record of 53-6-2 with 3 losses, 1 where he lost to Holyfield, 1 fight where he beat himself, Ruddock caught him, and his last 3 losses where he was completely shot due to his sheer talenr

• +1
Reactions: ReadBooksEveryday, Erik-Jón, Account and 2 others
Buster Douglas beat Tyson and it is obvious which of the two was more talented.

It is not black and white but talent is certainally a prerequisite, the difference between the top 0.1% is going to come down to other factors aswell.

• +1
Reactions: ReadBooksEveryday

It is not black and white but talent is certainally a prerequisite, the difference between the top 0.1% is going to come down to other factors aswell.
Buster was extremely talented just extremely lazy. After losing to Holyfield he admitted he didn't even like boxing.

• Hmm...
  • Woah
Reactions: gymmaxedhorse and Moggie
Buster was extremely talented just extremely lazy. After losing to Holyfield he admitted he didn't even like boxing.
I only know the fight as the biggest upset in boxing history. Assumed the difference was how poor Tysons preparation for the fight was.

I only know the fight as the biggest upset in boxing history. Assumed the difference was how poor Tysons preparation for the fight was.
Buster trained like a mad man and tyson's team was ill prepared. Tyson's team didn't even bring a icepack or endswell because they thought it would be a curbstomp. They used a rubber glove filled with ice water.

• +1
Reactions: Moggie
Buster trained like a mad man and tyson's team was ill prepared. Tyson's team didn't even bring a icepack or endswell because they thought it would be a curbstomp. They used a rubber glove filled with ice water.
What are your thoughts on Hearns?

Dokes didn't live up to his potential but even at his best wasn't up there with the very top heavyweights imo. He beat Weaver and then never did much at all after that.

• +1

That’s what it is

These are the top 0.1% even if boxers
Frankly there will be no one like Mike or Ali. It’s just a different time
One used to do 2000 squats and push ups every single day. The other gave up 3+ years of his absolute prime just to go against the Vietcong war
They’ got famous for their outside of boxing personality too. Especially Ali who was incredibly good at speeches

Floyd Mayweather, Antonio , and Cemelio just don’t compare tbh. I respect Tyson Fury but even he doesn’t come close

Frankly that was the golden age of boxing and the sport has been on an absolute downhill since then when it should instead be improving (technology has developed modern man to become a cuck)

• +1