MSE might not be a good idea if your maxilla is recessed

6ft4

TFBEM is the Meta
I hear of people who get MSE looking for 12mm of expansion
I got a few MM of expansion with SARPE.
The lower maxilla is now wider which is a halo because it's created a wider smile and wider resting philtrum and nose base (my nostrils were the size of a 10 year old's beforehand)
The mid maxilla appears wider but this is not necessarily a halo because this area is so flat, the extra width doesn't provide any halo it is just giving you more surface area to bring attention to a failoed region

If you could bring this region forward with lefort II then the extra width would be a halo but when it is stuck in a recessed position the extra width is not a halo
If I had gotten a large expansion with MSE that directly impacts the mid maxilla moreso than SARPE I would be very wary of the potential for it to create an additional failo

• +1
  • Love it
Reactions: thereallegend, BugeyeBigNoseCurry, ChristianChad and 3 others
  • +1
Reactions: ChristianChad and alriodai
The lower maxilla is now wider which is a halo because it's created a wider smile and wider resting philtrum and nose base (my nostrils were the size of a 10 year old's beforehand)
The mid maxilla appears wider but this is not necessarily a halo because this area is so flat, the extra width doesn't provide any halo it is just giving you more surface area to bring attention to a failoed region

If you could bring this region forward with lefort II then the extra width would be a halo but when it is stuck in a recessed position the extra width is not a halo
If I had gotten a large expansion with MSE that directly impacts the mid maxilla moreso than SARPE I would be very wary of the potential for it to create an additional failo
A wider mouth is always a halo tho, is it better to have a narrow smile/mouth with recessed maxilla or wide smile/mouth with a recessed maxilla?

• +1
Reactions: SoonToAscend and ChristianChad
  • +1
Reactions: SoonToAscend
  • +1
Reactions: SoonToAscend and alriodai
I'm surprised your mid maxilla got wider, don't the SARPE cuts not allow any expansion beyond where those cuts are done because the maxilla is detached?

Lefort II has a much higher mortality then both Leforts I and III, and it's done more rarely then Lefort I, though I still know some cases where it was done. I think you just have to get by without midface coming forward surgically.
Why not get fillers for your midface?

Last edited:
  • +1
  • Woah
Reactions: thereallegend and SoonToAscend
A wider mouth is always a halo tho, is it better to have a narrow smile/mouth with recessed maxilla or wide smile/mouth with a recessed maxilla?
I think ofc wide is better even if ur recessed.

lower maxilla... do you mean mandible or the back part of maxilla?

Lower maxilla = beneath the red line
Mid maxilla = between the red and yellow line

• +1
Reactions: thereallegend and SoonToAscend
  • +1

U got any pics that show the widening?

• +1
Reactions: ChristianChad
I'm surprised your mid maxilla got wider, don't the SARPE cuts not allow any expansion beyond where those cuts are done because the maxilla is detached?

Lefort II has a much higher mortality then both Leforts I and III, and it's done more rarely then Lefort I, though I still know some cases where it was done. I think you just have to get by without midface coming forward surgically.
Why not get fillers for your midface?
It is possible that the mid maxilla didn't get wider if the cuts don't allow for it but it definitely appears wider
Maybe the reason for this is how the soft tissue interaction has changed since the lower maxilla became wider
Either way, seeing what looks to be a wider mid maxilla with no additional projection is in my opinion a neutral outcome as opposed to lower maxilla widening which is unquestionably a positive outcome

This thread is speculating that excessive increase in width to the mid maxilla while it remains recessed could be a failo because you are just adding more recessed bone to your face in an area that is resting/cannot be brought forward

Last edited:
  • +1
Reactions: thereallegend, SoonToAscend and ChristianChad
I said in the original post that the widening of the lower maxilla/smile is a halo regardless
I am debating the potential halo/failo of widening the mid maxilla when it is recessed

• +1
Reactions: thereallegend, SoonToAscend, alriodai and 1 other person
U got any pics that show the widening?
The difference isn't as noticable in pics as it is when I check the mirror in daylighting but I will do what I can to take pics that show the difference

• Love it
So its okay to get mse if I will get lefort 1 too?