Mse question

Eezz

Eezz

Death standu hamuno
1-What happens to the lower jaw when you do mse ? Does it follow or do you need to widen it too or what ?
2-After the expansion you get gaps, wont using braces to fix the gapes just retract your maxilla ?

Solution
noprogressno
View attachment 1610272View attachment 1610274
They cut the maxilla like a lefort but then instead of advancing it and using metal screws. They just install an mse and expand. Why do they cut those horizontal cuts ?
Because those horizontal cuts release the resistance. Otherwise the midpalatal suture might not be able to open and palatal expansion might go wrong(palate might not expand or teeth might get pushed out of the alveolar bone). This is also an issue with MSE as well if you are a male aged over 30 or you have torus palatinus. Depending on those conditions, orthodontists sometimes recomment surgical assist with MSE as well.
But as far as I know those horizontal cuts are not always made for a similar surgery. But I forgot its name...
Also if...
Not an answer but I don't think MSE is worth it bro, the risk of developing assymetry is too big

• +1
Reactions: Eezz
Mse is for people with a wider mandible than palate aka crossbite.
Otherwise you need msdo after mse to match the bite. Msdo is very risky because of infection or damage to the mandibular joints.

• +1
  • So Sad
Reactions: ChristianChad and Eezz
Mse is for people with a wider mandible than palate aka crossbite.
Otherwise you need msdo after mse to match the bite. Msdo is very risky because of infection or damage to the mandibular joints.
Hmmm so If I have a correct bite I cant just use mse for a wider smile ?

• +1
Reactions: Deleted member 8365
what do u mean?
Screenshot 20220328 180503
Screenshot 20220328 180457

They cut the maxilla like a lefort but then instead of advancing it and using metal screws. They just install an mse and expand. Why do they cut those horizontal cuts ?

1-What happens to the lower jaw when you do mse ? Does it follow or do you need to widen it too or what ?
2-After the expansion you get gaps, wont using braces to fix the gapes just retract your maxilla ?
-Lower jaw does not follow. So there are 4 possibilities:
1st possibility: you either already have a crossbite so lower teeth does not need to be adjusted after MSE
2nd possibility: you don't have a crossbite and your orthodontists conpensates for the upper teeth by tilting lower teeth upwards with either braces or invisalign(as much as your bite allows because since this type of teeth movement has its risks too. You can't continue changing the position of lower teeth after a certain point, otherwise teeth roots might get pushed out of the bone)
3rd possibility: you already have a crossbite but your orthodontists decides that you might benefit from a bigger expansion so they upright the lower teeth as well
4th possibility: you get surgical intervention for lower jaw(which is risky)
-Orthodontists don't believe that retraction can happen with braces or the midpalatal suture might bet closed again because of braces. But in my opinion thats a possibility. Also MSE isn't instantly removed after the expansion is complete. You have to keep it there for at least 6 months or so so the midpalatal suture could get filled with bone again

• +1
View attachment 1610272View attachment 1610274
Because those horizontal cuts release the resistance. Otherwise the midpalatal suture might not be able to open and palatal expansion might go wrong(palate might not expand or teeth might get pushed out of the alveolar bone). This is also an issue with MSE as well if you are a male aged over 30 or you have torus palatinus. Depending on those conditions, orthodontists sometimes recomment surgical assist with MSE as well.
But as far as I know those horizontal cuts are not always made for a similar surgery. But I forgot its name...
Also if you are asking why are they not advancing since they already made that horizontal cut, the answer is they do sometimes. As far as I know that type of surgery is called a 2 piece lefort. But it probably usually has some kind of complication, I have heard more 3 piece lefort surgeries than 2 piece lefort. But I might be wrong, and that surgery I am talking about might not be what you are trying to describe

• +1
Solution
Msdo is very risky because of infection
Are you serious? How did you come to this? If this is a common concern that's brutal ngl...
damage to the mandibular joints.
There's apparently an MSDO variant named DAME which is better in this regard, Ronald Eed made a video on it with the inventor. But the inventor is a lier so keep this in mind