My lifts stalling, my gym progress, it all makes sense now.

SomethingOff

SomethingOff

PhD in Moggology
Kinda bloggy post, but this just changes everything for me.

I just bought myself a fitness scale, which tells you your bodyfat percentage, water weight percentage, and muscle percentage (scales like this are pretty decent nowadays) and I now understand everything about how my gym progress has been going the past 3 months even when it was pretty crap to begin with. I haven't weighed myself in 3 months since I didn't have a scale where I live now.

I found it odd, you know? How I'd get about 7 hours of sleep, eat a nice, relatively well tracked (or so I assumed) 3300 calories or so, and yet, hardly make progress in the gym. My bench stalled completely, and my squat only went up about 15 pounds over the course of 3 months, even while lifting 5 times a week consistently, even while my squat was mediocre to begin with. Why is that?

Well, I was about 20.5 BMI in january, determined to work hard and gain some pounds. I assume my bodyfat was something like 14%, maybe 13%. Well it turns out, my BMI now is 19.8. I have LOST 6 pounds. But my bodyfat percentage is a crazy 9.6%! I had been doing a cut, while thinking to myself everything was fine because I was getting stronger!

Now I also have a kitchen scale to weigh food, but I don't think that is the real problem. I checked around a bit and my calorie tracking was fine. I just didn't eat enough. I ate about 3000-3200 per day, but that simply isn't enough at 6'5 and at such a low bodyfat percentage.

Now, I'm going to eat 4000 calories a day, well tracked, and weigh myself on a weekly basis. If I managed to become stronger on a deficit, I have a feeling my lifts are going to skyrocket now that I understand what's going on.

So what did we learn by this? Number one, you cannot measure your gym progress in the way you look in the mirror. The only way to measure gym progress is through your strength, your bodyfat percentage, and your weight. It's that easy, so keep fucking track of it!
Fucking lifefuel tbh. We're all gonna make it.

Last edited:
Wait what??? Did you cut at 3000kcal?
How fucking tall are you.

Wait what??? Did you cut at 3000kcal?
How fucking tall are you.
6'5, and as you can see, around 9% bodyfat. Add in a 25 minute walk back and forth from the gym, walking to school, and consistent lifting, and there you go, a lot of calories burned per day.

• +1
Reactions: Deleted member 1089
6'5, and as you can see, around 9% bodyfat. Add in a 25 minute walk back and forth from the gym, walking to school, and consistent lifting, and there you go, a lot of calories burned per day.

Well if you are 6'5 it makes sense,
I bulk at around 3000kcal lol.
I eat around 1800 when cutting.

• +1
Reactions: SomethingOff
I just focus on strenght numbers, but lately my weight wont go up past about 90.8kg (200lbs)
My strenght goes up just slowly tho, so I hopefully am still progressing

• +1
Reactions: SomethingOff
The only way to measure gym progress is through your strength, your bodyfat percentage, and your weight
Yep. Legit. If you keep increasing strength in big 5 then you're bulking. If not, you're not eating enough

• +1
Reactions: kobecel, SomethingOff and androidcel
Yep. Legit. If you keep increasing strength in big 5 then you're bulking. If not, you're not eating enough
Or your a beginner, also a possibility

You bench goes down while losing weight because you increase the range of motion a tad bit. Also cutting makes yo uweaker no matter what. Try to get protein to stop muscle lose.

fucking hell gigachad

Kinda bloggy post, but this just changes everything for me.

I just bought myself a fitness scale, which tells you your bodyfat percentage, water weight percentage, and muscle percentage (scales like this are pretty decent nowadays) and I now understand everything about how my gym progress has been going the past 3 months even when it was pretty crap to begin with. I haven't weighed myself in 3 months since I didn't have a scale where I live now.

I found it odd, you know? How I'd get about 7 hours of sleep, eat a nice, relatively well tracked (or so I assumed) 3300 calories or so, and yet, hardly make progress in the gym. My bench stalled completely, and my squat only went up about 15 pounds over the course of 3 months, even while lifting 5 times a week consistently, even while my squat was mediocre to begin with. Why is that?

Well, I was about 20.5 BMI in january, determined to work hard and gain some pounds. I assume my bodyfat was something like 14%, maybe 13%. Well it turns out, my BMI now is 19.8. I have LOST 6 pounds. But my bodyfat percentage is a crazy 9.6%! I had been doing a cut, while thinking to myself everything was fine because I was getting stronger!

Now I also have a kitchen scale to weigh food, but I don't think that is the real problem. I checked around a bit and my calorie tracking was fine. I just didn't eat enough. I ate about 3000-3200 per day, but that simply isn't enough at 6'5 and at such a low bodyfat percentage.

Now, I'm going to eat 4000 calories a day, well tracked, and weigh myself on a weekly basis. If I managed to become stronger on a deficit, I have a feeling my lifts are going to skyrocket now that I understand what's going on.

So what did we learn by this? Number one, you cannot measure your gym progress in the way you look in the mirror. The only way to measure gym progress is through your strength, your bodyfat percentage, and your weight. It's that easy, so keep fucking track of it!
Fucking lifefuel tbh. We're all gonna make it.
pics

• +1
Reactions: dogtown