My theory on why Americans are more outgoing than Europeans

Gargantuan

Gargantuan

Mod
Staff
I think that most people here, Europeans and Americans alike, are of the opinion that the latter tend to be more sociable and outgoing than the former and are also far more willing to talk to strangers (something that is frequently mentioned here).

My theory is that over the past 200 years, the most outgoing and adventurous people were the ones who left the UK (and some other European countries) for the US.
So the people who were that way inclined, certainly a large percentage of them ended up in the US.
This, in turn, would have been perpetuated through both nature and nurture:
  • Through nature, (certain) personality traits are passed on genetically so you could potentially end up with a whole generation of outgoing people that are concentrated in a single country, the early years of the United States in this instance.
  • Through nurture, these outgoing personality traits ensure that the subsequent generations that follow are all outgoing with each other as well in social settings since it's the norm for them, resulting in a melting-pot of outgoing people.

But then again, how do you explain that people from countries in Southern European (most notably Italians) also tend to be more outgoing than people from countries in Northwestern Europe?

So I do suspect that it's deeper than that.

@Johanjohan @Biggdink @looksmaxxer234 @Yliaster @Prettyboy

• +1
  • WTF
  • Love it
Reactions: Deleted member 51727, PointOfNoReturn, flippasav and 17 others
But then again, how do you explain that people from countries in Southern European (most notably Italians) also tend to be more outgoing than people from countries in Northwestern Europe?
the weather

• JFL
  • +1
Reactions: socialcel, zura, PointOfNoReturn and 6 others
Because they are all a bunch of dravidians

• JFL
  • +1
Reactions: PointOfNoReturn, bedes, Deleted member 17791 and 1 other person
Good theory that I had not considered

• +1
Reactions: PointOfNoReturn, Yliaster and Gargantuan
Imagine being autistic in a country where you make more smalltalk with the cashier than with your family in europe :feelsuhh:

• JFL
  • +1
Reactions: socialcel, zura, PointOfNoReturn and 8 others
America is a divided country. Looming race war, economic inequality, libs vs. conservatives... small talk is a way for them to feel more connected, more united.

• +1
  • Hmm...
Reactions: PointOfNoReturn, Kingcel32 and Gargantuan
the weather
I think it certainly plays a role. I do feel happier and more sociable myself when it's warm outside as opposed to when it's cold.

Although there are lots of people in NW Europe (at least in my country) who cannot stand warm weather and actually prefer the cold so there's that.

• +1
Reactions: zura, PointOfNoReturn, Johanjohan and 1 other person
Although there are lots of people in NW Europe (at least in my country) who cannot stand warm weather and actually prefer the cold so there's that.
checking in

• +1
Reactions: PointOfNoReturn, datboijj and Gargantuan
Probably true

I've also noticed the academic syllabus of US tends to be more practical and reality based (and less tedious) than the European counterpart that focuses ultra hard on theory

• +1
Reactions: zura, Deleted member 30283, PointOfNoReturn and 3 others
America is a divided country. Looming race war, economic inequality, libs vs. conservatives... small talk is a way for them to feel more connected, more united.
Probably true to some extent although I think it's not merely circumstantial due to the environment that they live in.

The genetic component of their ancestors who were adventurous enough to take the risk to move to another country is probably still ingrained in them.

• +1
Reactions: PointOfNoReturn and Johanjohan
Good thread m8

• Love it
  • +1
Reactions: PointOfNoReturn and Gargantuan
I think that most people here, Europeans and Americans alike, are of the opinion that the latter tend to be more sociable and outgoing than the former and are also far more willing to talk to strangers (something that is frequently mentioned here).

My theory is that over the past 200 years, the most outgoing and adventurous people were the ones who left the UK (and some other European countries) for the US.
So the people who were that way inclined, certainly a large percentage of them ended up in the US.
  • Through nature, (certain) personality traits are passed on genetically so you could potentially end up with a whole generation of outgoing people that are concentrated in a single country, the early years of the United States in this instance.
  • Through nurture, these outgoing personality traits ensure that the subsequent generations that follow are all outgoing with each other as well in social settings since it's the norm for them, resulting in a melting-pot of outgoing people.

Wrong. It’s because Americans have ethnics and especially blacks.

• JFL
  • +1
Reactions: socialcel, PointOfNoReturn and Gargantuan
A big part is probably just cultural differences

• +1
Reactions: PointOfNoReturn, Gargantuan and Yliaster
Small talk is retarded

I have to ask hundreds of people, "how you doing" for my job at a golf course daily and its so annoying

• +1

Yeah I wanted to say the same thing about southern italians who are very low inhib. Might be genetic to some extent as well as related to the warm weather.

• +1
NO

• WTF
  • +1
Most europeans who went to America didn't do so out of an adventurous spirit, they did it because they were poor and having a difficult life in europe. America offered a lot of financial opportunity for immigrants to make a living and escape those hardships.

i think that americans being more outgoing has more to do with the fact that its a country made of immigrants. Everyone was arriving somewhere new surrounded by strangers and having to meet new people and make new social groups. This openness and flexibility in meeting people may be ingrained in the culture. Meanwhile Europeans may come from a family that has always lived in the same town or neighborhood for generations and don't have the custom to meet new people as they never had the need to.

• +1
  • JFL
Reactions: zura, PointOfNoReturn, incel194012940 and 1 other person
Europeans got raped by 50 world wars so now they’re permanently traumatized and depressed

• So Sad
  • JFL
Americans used to teach that their ancestors were the Pioneers who created a nation out of the wilderness; tamed a continent, built a civilization, fought the Indians.

It wasn't that easy coming in here in the old days. The Puritans said that God sifted a nation that he might send choice grain into the wilderness

Americans traditionally were primarily middle class and educated. Land was cheap and labor expensive. It was make your own destiny; "Go West, young man"

• +1
Reactions: zura, PointOfNoReturn, Gargantuan and 1 other person
Reminds me that in a diplomatic contact between Sweden and Portugal during the Age of Exploration, the Swedes boasted that their ancestors were the Goths who beat the Roman Empire and wandered far and wide, some settling in Portugal to form the nexus of the future leadership of the nation

The Portuguese retorted that, indeed, among their ancestors were adventuresome alpha Goths, but that only the meek homebodies had stayed behind in Sweden

• +1
Reactions: zura, PointOfNoReturn and Gargantuan
Your theory about the melting pot of outgoing people being concentrated into a Continent and propagating seems
legit...its not something I ever thought about lol,profund take tbh.

As for the Italians/Sicilians those mfs are just giga high T and Low Inhib af,there's a large community of them in NY,particularly
Staten Island and they don't take shit from anyone

• +1

No opinion but british people act like pigs but are also super fucking cold when they aren't hammered. Worst of both worlds :feelskek:

• +1
  • JFL
  • Woah
Reactions: zura, PointOfNoReturn, Aladin and 2 others
No opinion but british people act like pigs but are also super fucking cold when they aren't hammered. Worst of both worlds :feelskek:
i only feel safe around british with hammer

• JFL
  • +1
Reactions: PointOfNoReturn, Gargantuan and SendMePicsToRate
  • JFL
  • +1
Reactions: PointOfNoReturn, Aladin and Gargantuan

It correlates with autistic traits which are based on genetics
Americans have mixed European heritage and so are not as autistic as pure North-Western European populations

• +1
Reactions: PointOfNoReturn, Hero of the Imperium and Gargantuan

Your post should make sense but the thing is that the US is no longer majority wasp. A lot of the population consists of latins/nigs/ethnics/other europeans that look like deathnics. Those that came from mayflower ships are a minority nowadays.

• +1
Reactions: PointOfNoReturn, Hero of the Imperium and Gargantuan
Agree

• +1
Reactions: Gargantuan and PointOfNoReturn
the cold makes people unsociable. Its the reason why many movies potray solitary people in windstorms huddled up drinking vodka and saying nothing.

• +1
Reactions: zura, Gargantuan and PointOfNoReturn
This is the basis of the founder effect and it's even more pronounced in the former Mexican (Spanish) colonies in the US among pure-blooded (non-Spanish) Europeans. It's increasingly obvious in the rural areas of Texas where the colonizer lineages are potentially less than 200 years old.

Last edited:
  • +1

The gdp gap between Brits and Americans is crazy

• +1