New large sample study find Accutane has no effect on adult height -HOWEVER!

P

penispilled

Bronze
https://www.hcplive.com/view/analysis-pediatric-isotretinoin-use-not-linked-shorter-adult-height
They found compared to doxycycline (common antibiotic used to treat acne), those treated with accutane had a significantly higher adult height (which was a significant difference). This suggests acne causes no significant growth plate closure and may even stimulate height growth.
HOWEVER - despite them stating that premature epiphyseal closure is not associated with doxycycline, studies have found that various tetracyclines including doxycycline itself can inhibit and stop height growth
eg A 2006 study published in the journal Pediatrics found that children using doxycycline for acne were more likely to attain shorter final heights compared to those not using the antibiotic. But it should be noted that this study had a limited sample size, and the results didn't reach statistical significance.
furthermore
https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC1945410/
this study and i think various other have similar implications suggesting doxy may inhibit/ negatively effect bone growth.

Still tho, as i said, the accutane group (which had a v large sample size) had a significantly higher height.

thoughts?

• Hmm...
Reactions: AySab
let the copening begin

• +1
Reactions: STUPIDREFEREES
Because most people get their acne treated once their height is nearly finished (15) and testosterone to estrogen ratio is a strong linear correlate with acne severity so it figures those with such severe acne and low estrogen would grow longer.

• +1
Reactions: STUPIDREFEREES and mvp2v1
Because most people get their acne treated once their height is nearly finished (15) and testosterone to estrogen ratio is a strong linear correlate with acne severity so it figures those with such severe acne and low estrogen would grow longer.
but both groups have acne?