Optimum number of sets/reps for size (gymcels gih)

looks>books

looks>books

Do not be as you are, but as you should be
Currently have been doing 3 sets, 8-12 reps to failure, then some slow eccentrics.

Saw some progress but it hasn’t been long enough so idk if I just got leaner or I actually got bigger, nevertheless also triying to see if there’s a more effective approach.

What gave you guys the most success?

1-2 sets till absolute failure (can’t move and shaking) with full body workout 3-4 times a week as a natural lifter. Being in a caloric surplus is also necessary, this is something I neglected early on.

• JFL
  • +1
Reactions: Yerico7, IndraBC and looks>books
1-2 sets till absolute failure (can’t move and shaking) with full body workout 3-4 times a week as a natural lifter. Being in a caloric surplus is also necessary, this is something I neglected early on.
Do you life light with lots of reps or heavy with like 4-8? Or like super heavy

Currently have been doing 3 sets, 8-12 reps to failure, then some slow eccentrics.

Saw some progress but it hasn’t been long enough so idk if I just got leaner or I actually got bigger, nevertheless also triying to see if there’s a more effective approach.

Choose 2 basic exercises for a muscle group
6 set each 8-12 reps

after warming up i usually do 3-4 depending on the exercise. focusing on a slow eccentric and getting a deeper stretch really made my gains take off.

• +1
Reactions: looks>books

2 sets to failure, 4-8 rep range.

• JFL
  • +1
Reactions: Yerico7 and looks>books
after warming up i usually do 3-4 depending on the exercise. focusing on a slow eccentric and getting a deeper stretch really made my gains take off.
How many reps?

slow eccentric + aim for 10-14 sets per week per muscle group (ie 2 chest days with 7 sets each)

just get more than 6 reps and less than 15

good technique is most important part to building size

• +1
How many reps?
8-16, also depending on the exercise. usually 8-12, but if i cant get the right form because of lacking grip strength or whatever circumstance, i like to milk out the muscle until it burns like a bitch instead. having bad form could hurt joints or hit other muscles which obviously is worse than doing a few extra reps on a lower weight.

drop sets at the last set also help to make sure you tear up the last fibres before moving on.

• +1
Trying out Mentzer's HDT not gonna lie. I've started my bulk few days ago. If you remember to remind me in a few months I can update.

• +1
Is that that slow eccentric guy? Will do
Nah, I'll sum up his principles for you.
1. High intensity: Every muscle group to or beyond failure (methods include: assisted concentrics, "pre-exhaust", "rest-pause")
2. Low volume: Only 1 set per muscle group (the "pre-exhaust" method has you doing 2 sets but in a superset fashion so it counts as only 1)
3. Infrequent training: Every like 4-7 days, the more advanced, the more rest, yes, this means if you have split your body into say 4, you train a specific group every 4 × 4 = 16 days
4. No momentum: Weight moved purely through mechanical force generated by muscles
-> 5. Slow reps: 4-second concentrics, 2-second isometrics, 4-second eccentrics. 4-2-4

You can watch his speeches on YouTube. The channel "Mr America Heart" is also good at explaining HIT theory.

• Love it
Nah, I'll sum up his principles for you.
1. High intensity: Every muscle group to or beyond failure (methods include: assisted concentrics, "pre-exhaust", "rest-pause")
2. Low volume: Only 1 set per muscle group (the "pre-exhaust" method has you doing 2 sets but in a superset fashion so it counts as only 1)
3. Infrequent training: Every like 4-7 days, the more advanced, the more rest, yes, this means if you have split your body into say 4, you train a specific group every 4 × 4 = 16 days
4. No momentum: Weight moved purely through mechanical force generated by muscles
-> 5. Slow reps: 4-second concentrics, 2-second isometrics, 4-second eccentrics. 4-2-4

You can watch his speeches on YouTube. The channel "Mr America Heart" is also good at explaining HIT theory.
Sounds really unorthodox, lmk how it goes
GL

• +1
Reactions: ʾAbū al-Qāsim