Overhead Press Mogs

Lonely

Lonely

Banned
Title. It's the best upper body lift. Develops the shoulders, triceps and upper chest. If you want to look like a superhero do OHP and Chin Ups/ Lat Pulldowns. You'll look amazing. OHP is just as good as Bench. And lateral raises aren't a substitute.

• +1
  • JFL
Reactions: Ryldoo IS COPING, Prince88, ItsOverCel and 6 others
Have to agree on that. but i would add something WEIGHTED chin ups for the win.

• +1
Reactions: Chinlet Ascension
Hip thrusts mog.

• +1
  • Hmm...
Reactions: Deleted member 18244 and Deleted member 2130
Have to agree on that. but i would add something WEIGHTED chin ups for the win.
Tbh I prefer Heavy Yates Rows for weighted stretch and chin ups for back volume

Strict barbell OHP is not a particularly good exercise for building most of those muscles.

• +1
Reactions: Oberyn
Strict barbell OHP is not a particularly good exercise for building most of those muscles.
Jfl ofc it is. I'm tired of science bros coming in and being like "uhhhh akhctually the EMG data is 5.3291818% less than this seated Machine poopy press 🤓"

It's a classic bread and butter exercise used all through the silver era and golden era and still used extensively by top bodybuilders. You CANNOT go wrong by being strong at the strict standing Barbell OHP. I can OHP close to 1 plate now and my shoulders are easily my best body part.

• +1
Reactions: RomanianZaddy, Over and Deleted member 3672
High IQ
OHP = Chad lift
I scapulamog everyone thanks to this

Ohp real

• +1
Reactions: RomanianZaddy, Prince88, germanlooks and 1 other person
duh you honestly don't even need to bench. overrated af

• +1
Reactions: RomanianZaddy, Elvisandreaa and Vain786
duh you honestly don't even need to bench. overrated af
I'd say the bench is still the best chest builder tbh but the OHP works every muscle the bench does besides the lower chest to some extent

Is it better than seated dumbbell shoulder press?
Both are excellent. Do whichever one you like more, can stay consistent with, overload better with and can do with better form

• +1
Reactions: germanlooks
Better to do it before chest (benchpress etc) or after chest on a push day?
Don't overthink it. Just do what allows you to hit both muscle groups as much as possible and train hard. Experiment. If you pick the wrong order at most it'll make a 3-5% difference which is nothing.

I'd say the bench is still the best chest builder tbh but the OHP works every muscle the bench does besides the lower chest to some extent
idk about being the best chest builder tbh. it depends a lot on your leverages also. if you got long arms bench press alone can be good for building chest, if you got short arms you need modifications or different exercises. even for long armed ppl, for most delts and tris take over most of the load instead of chest. so i think dumbbell pressing with a very slight incline is a lot bettter.

• +1
Reactions: Oberyn
Cable is better I'd say for chest
You get more stretch and larger range of motion and chest likes that

idk about being the best chest builder tbh. it depends a lot on your leverages also. if you got long arms bench press alone can be good for building chest, if you got short arms you need modifications or different exercises. even for long armed ppl, for most delts and tris take over most of the load instead of chest. so i think dumbbell pressing with a very slight incline is a lot bettter.
Cable is better I'd say for chest
You get more stretch and larger range of motion and chest likes that
Both of you make great points tbh. IMO what matters even more than exercise selection is your ability to work hard and stay consistent. I just do bench because I enjoy it, I've gotten great results with it and it's accessible (I don't have machines)

• Love it
Reactions: SoonToAscend
Both of you make great points tbh. IMO what matters even more than exercise selection is your ability to work hard and stay consistent. I just do bench because I enjoy it, I've gotten great results with it and it's accessible (I don't have machines)
I hogged cable every single day of summer

180 reps

• +1
Reactions: Lonely
I do floor press instead of bench because it doesn't impact your shoulder health negatively unlike bench which means you're able to handle more shoulder volume (such as the overhead press)

• +1
Reactions: boss8055 and MiroslavBulldosex
Most legit exercise.

It's also underrated as to how important is for your intercostal muscles (rib cage muscles). It's just adds a lot of definition to the the body and tapers your physic for maximum aesthetics.

OHP and/or Seated DB press
Lateral raises
Facepulls

Perfect exercise selection for big delts

I do floor press instead of bench because it doesn't impact your shoulder health negatively unlike bench which means you're able to handle more shoulder volume (such as the overhead press)
The floor press is great too honestly. Can't go wrong with it. Do you do it in a power rack?

Most legit exercise.

It's also underrated as to how important is for your intercostal muscles (rib cage muscles). It's just adds a lot of definition to the the body and tapers your physic for maximum aesthetics.
Exactly. It just completes your physique. Anyone who's great at OHP looks nice and broad.

The floor press is great too honestly. Can't go wrong with it. Do you do it in a power rack?
I just have a regular squat rack that I also use for overhead press.

bench has better stretch in the muscle fiber, but you're paying for that with your shoulder health, you can avoid this to some extent with a fat pad but doing it on the floor eliminates it altogether, you have to do more volume to make up for the lack of range of motion though, but that is fine.

I just have a regular squat rack that I also use for overhead press.

bench has better stretch in the muscle fiber, but you're paying for that with your shoulder health, you can avoid this to some extent with a fat pad but doing it on the floor eliminates it altogether, you have to do more volume to make up for the lack of range of motion though, but that is fine.
I've never had shoulder issues with the bench. I think that's more of an issue with wide grip. I exclusively do moderate to close grip with proper scapular depression and retraction. Close grip/ moderate grip also works the upper chest better.

Title. It's the best upper body lift. Develops the shoulders, triceps and upper chest. If you want to look like a superhero do OHP and Chin Ups/ Lat Pulldowns. You'll look amazing. OHP is just as good as Bench. And lateral raises aren't a substitute.
If I do OHP, do I still need incline bench for upper chest?

If I do OHP, do I still need incline bench for upper chest?
I'd say so, yeah. See, the OHP is like a standing incline (90°) bench but since the incline is so great you're primarily using your shoulders, with *some* upper chest activation.

I've never had shoulder issues with the bench. I think that's more of an issue with wide grip. I exclusively do moderate to close grip with proper scapular depression and retraction. Close grip/ moderate grip also works the upper chest better.
the issues are very long term, takes years for them to develop, and occurs more if you're pushing it i.e for powerlifting.

the issues are very long term, takes years for them to develop, and occurs more if you're pushing it i.e for powerlifting.
Possibly yeah. I might switch to floor press or dumbbell pressing later down the line.

I'd say so, yeah. See, the OHP is like a standing incline (90°) bench but since the incline is so great you're primarily using your shoulders, with *some* upper chest activation.
I can't be bothered to do that tbh I only do main compounds: bench, OHP, squats, barbell rows, deadlifts + accessory for biceps/triceps.

Idk why niggas are doing 5-8 different exercises for one muscle group :lul: like for example david laid does 8 exercises for back alone lmao

I can't be bothered to do that tbh I only do main compounds: bench, OHP, squats, barbell rows, deadlifts + accessory for biceps/triceps.

Idk why niggas are doing 5-8 different exercises for one muscle group :lul: like for example david laid does 8 exercises for back alone lmao
I'd recommend adding lateral raises, incline pressing, reverse curling and facepulls on top of what you mentioned and you'll have a super aesthetic physique.

• +1
Reactions: Over
I'd recommend adding lateral raises, incline pressing, reverse curling and facepulls on top of what you mentioned and you'll have a super aesthetic physique.
i'd add back my lateral raises, i used to do them but stopped because I thought going heavy OHP will do the work

also I need forearm+biceps exercises, I did hammer curls but they only hit some inside part of the biceps, so I do rotated wrist biceps curls now with dumbbells

Possibly yeah. I might switch to floor press or dumbbell pressing later down the line.
if you start feeling any sort of impingement that's good idea yeah, but get a fat pad if you're still doing it because there's honestly no reason to bench on a narrow gym bench that barely has any shoulder support, they even shifted to using wider benches for powerlifting meets because they're aware of this problem.

bench has the highest long term risk of injury of all compound lifts, pretty much everyone that does it heavy fucks themselves up eventually.

• +1
Reactions: Ryldoo IS COPING

if you start feeling any sort of impingement that's good idea yeah, but get a fat pad if you're still doing it because there's honestly no reason to bench on a narrow gym bench that barely has any shoulder support, they even shifted to using wider benches for powerlifting meets because they're aware of this problem.

bench has the highest long term risk of injury of all compound lifts, pretty much everyone that does it heavy fucks themselves up eventually.
Sweet, I didn't know that. Thanks for making me aware. Ill look into the right bench so my shoulders stay safe.

What are your thoughts on benching with the Swiss bar/ football bar?

Wouldn't doing lateral raises be redundant while doing overhead press? Since overhead press will work all delt muscles and laterals will target only the side ones

• +1
i'd add back my lateral raises, i used to do them but stopped because I thought going heavy OHP will do the work

also I need forearm+biceps exercises, I did hammer curls but they only hit some inside part of the biceps, so I do rotated wrist biceps curls now with dumbbells
Lateral raises done with good form are GOATED for the medial delts. OHP is great too but for the Medial Delts Lateral Raises take the cake.

Yeah, forearms are underrated asf. Neck+forearms will make you look so good. I reccomend buying a grip trainer and using that. It'll give you thick, veiny forearms.

• +1
Wouldn't doing lateral raises be redundant while doing overhead press? Since overhead press will work all delt muscles and laterals will target only the side ones
It's not redundant because the OHP doesn't work the medial deltoid to its fullest extent. The medial delt contributed the most to width and doing lateral raises will max those out and make you super wide.

• +1
Reactions: SoonToAscend and Over

the only exercises I do are floor press, overhead press, t-bar rows and conventional and hex bar dead-lifts, with only two accessories which are hammer curls and lateral raises and these aren't even part of my regular routine I just do them at work before I start a job (my name on the forum is my profession)

you need very little exercise selection to build a good body, the only thing that matters is that you roughly hit everything and progressively overload, even if you were to do the same thing for two hours straight it literally doesn't make any major difference.

• Woah
OHP is great too but for the Medial Delts Lateral Raises take the cake.
yeah but what's the point of doing exercise for exact same muscle group? I do OHP till absolute failure, sometimes my left shoulder is in such agony i can barely raise my hand. What's the point of doing another exercise this is why I don't understand fitness influencers doing barbell rows then dumbbell rows and then cable pulldown, literally 3 exercises for same muscle.

Neck+forearms will make you look so good
gonna do forearms in gym and neck at home without weights (i dont want to look idiotic at gym lol)

the only exercises I do are floor press, overhead press, t-bar rows and conventional and hex bar dead-lifts, with only two accessories which are hammer curls and lateral raises and these aren't even part of my regular routine I just do them at work before I start a job (my name on the forum is my profession)
Hmmmm interesting. What about your legs though?

• +1
yeah but what's the point of doing exercise for exact same muscle group? I do OHP till absolute failure, sometimes my left shoulder is in such agony i can barely raise my hand. What's the point of doing another exercise this is why I don't understand fitness influencers doing barbell rows then dumbbell rows and then cable pulldown, literally 3 exercises for same muscle.
Because doing OHP+lateral raises will give you amazing shoulders whereas just doing lateral raises will give you meh shoulders. The ability to overload the medial delt with the heavy weights of the OHP means you can place a super high stimulus even if you're not targetting it directly.

• +1

you need very little exercise selection to build a good body, the only thing that matters is that you roughly hit everything and progressively overload, even if you were to do the same thing for two hours straight it literally doesn't make any major difference.
show me more pics of your physique, that you on avi?