Please help me get rid of my health anxiety. It's been plaguing me for the past year now....

Just read this on ALSforums regarding someone who complained about BFS a decade ago:
ALS starts in a single part of the spine and the lower motor neurons that hook up there. Your calves, fingers, and tongue aren't even in the same neighborhood as each other from a spine level perspective. What that tells us is that you do have benign fasciculations, and given the consuming anxiety you mentioned, probably BFS. BFS commonly causes great anxiety. There's no shame in that, a lot of people have dealt with this before you.

Unfortunately, for most people just learning the anatomy behind ALS and why they don't seem to have it isn't as helpful as it would seem. The anxiety itself becomes the real enemy. If you find yourself obsessively reading about neurological diseases, grasping at straws, thinking you and you alone have this weird new disease onset, those are signs of this very damaging health anxiety. Most people in this boat eventually get an EMG and it comes up clean. Even that, however, does not quiet the anxiety, it merely redirects it. Now they start looking for things that don't show up on an EMG. They often go through phases of concentrating their fear on other diseases. It is this fear itself that is life damaging, and it builds on itself. The anxiety and stress make their own mysterious symptoms that only make the doc's job harder.

I tell you this because if you find your thoughts are working this way, you NEED to get help, insurance or no. You need someone objective who can help with the anxiety, someone that you can trust. You may need to put some decisions in their hands, because in that situation your perspective will become flawed. If you have a very sensible spouse or sibling, ask them if your legs look like they are working correctly, and have them tell you when they aren't and you need to see a doc about it.

What you can do right now is to stop researching neurological diseases, and concentrate your focus on other things in your life. Get help for the anxiety. If you at some point find yourself with a symptom that is causing difficulty in your life, that someone else can see, by all means at least go to one doc visit to have them tell you what they think. Having BFS doesn't make you immune to other problems.

I say this quite seriously - being diagnosed with ALS causes people to spend money and go on vacations while they still can. Living in obsessive fear of ALS destroys marriages, loses jobs, and causes people to hide in their home while PALS on vents are taking powerchair walks in the park. Don't let the fear win.

Last edited:
Simple just stop overthinking shit

• +1
Reactions: Xangsane
start meditating, death is inevitable the sooner u make peace with it the better.

• +1
Reactions: BongMog and Xangsane
I wish things were so easy. I'll have to take small steps.
Just live life, stay healthy, get your bloodwork done once a year and ball out :feelsokman:

• +1
Just live life, stay healthy, get your bloodwork done once a year and ball out :feelsokman:
Here you can't get health checks on demand unless you're middle-aged.

I want to live long...
and see everyone u love die? i dont care about my own death as much as that of my family and im still in the process of making peace with the fact that it will happen someday

and see everyone u love die? i dont care about my own death as much as that of my family and im still in the process of making peace with the fact that it will happen someday
I want to see me and my future wife's children and their children grow up.

Just dont think about it

• +1
I want to see me and my future wife's children and their children grow up.
then u grow attached to them and dont want to die still. also even they could just die randomly in a car crash or something. death is inevitable and always imminent.

• So Sad
then u grow attached to them and dont want to die still. also even they could just die randomly in a car crash or something. death is inevitable and always imminent.
I hope I can live very long

• So Sad
Reactions: forevermirin
Here you can't get health checks on demand unless you're middle-aged.
what country you live in? You can get private bloodwork done in the US

• +1
This quiz just said I'm either suffering from restless legs syndrome or anxiety:

This quiz just said I'm either suffering from restless legs syndrome or anxiety:
i couldn't mollify myself with such delusions past the age of 10 tbh.
Over for the united cuckdom

Your just a coward nigga you a young nigga in the prime of his life you ain’t got cancer

• JFL
  • +1
Reactions: BongMog, Xangsane and baldgeeza
Just don’t worry about it bro

• +1
because if you have als then youd 100% die. i get muscle twitches all the time and so does 90% of population youre fine
salt, magnesium (coffee is rich in magnesium) , cyproheptadine, anything to lower stress really (carbs, theanine, nicotine, vitamin D, calcium). Eyelid twitching is usually due to high stress and adrenals, you need to /calm/ down brah
@LookmaxBlau @Collagen or rope @Octavian_Augustus @defezman @mecha72 @baldgeeza
Alright, I did the boy health AI quiz again. They said this is most likely it:

• +1
Reactions: Deleted member 19174, baldgeeza and pentamogged9000
All those schizo threads are taking a toll on your brain , go on a trip with your family , to the countryside or something

• JFL
Reactions: Xangsane, forevermirin and Deleted member 21863
Same problem
don't know what to do about it

• So Sad
@LookmaxBlau @Collagen or rope @Octavian_Augustus @defezman @mecha72 @baldgeeza
Alright, I did the boy health AI quiz again. They said this is most likely
Don’t really know how to help, I watched a health anxiety vid ages ago by Lucinda strafford and she said just spend times with those closest and those who do not judge you. Since health anxiety is made up in your head, you can’t really do much to help I’d say just Keep fit and prioritie MH and theoretically it should go away w time.

This is vid I watched -

It’s just her talking ab her experiences and mostly useless info for 40 mins but she’s nice to look at tho

• +1
Don’t really know how to help, I watched a health anxiety vid ages ago by Lucinda strafford and she said just spend times with those closest and those who do not judge you. Since health anxiety is made up in your head, you can’t really do much to help I’d say just Keep fit and prioritie MH and theoretically it should go away w time.

This is vid I watched -

It’s just her talking ab her experiences and mostly useless info for 40 mins but she’s nice to look at tho

From Love Island?

All those schizo threads are taking a toll on your brain , go on a trip with your family , to the countryside or something

• +1
Reactions: BongMog
I bet mine is worse than yours. It’s literally fucking crippling. Most of my day is spent googling and researching shit that’s wrong with me. If you want to chat in dms about it im open bro. I have this thing plaguing me rn and I legit am convinced I will die soon or be left with an incurable condition.

• So Sad
f
I bet mine is worse than yours. It’s literally fucking crippling. Most of my day is spent googling and researching shit that’s wrong with me. If you want to chat in dms about it im open bro. I have this thing plaguing me rn and I legit am convinced I will die soon or be left with an incurable condition.
I'm free to talk about it with you

Users who are viewing this thread

Back