• Stay in math and get a phd

• Finish undergrad first then think abt it

• Pursue film school now, jfl

• Something else (comment)

Results are only viewable after voting.
DelonLover1999

DelonLover1999

Minmaxing
Backstory: I’m a math major in my junior year in college. I’ve always liked the subject since I was a kid and I am quite good at it, but the last few months I’ve been gradually losing interest for some reason. Went to a congress that had some insane researchers and very good talks, but while it was def interesting, I kinda feel like the magic is gone with me and math. Being a professor is good imo, decent salary for not much work. But the brutal part is having to get a PhD which takes a lot of time, and the quality of your thesis heavily dictates what types of unis will give you a shot at a job, so you have to study like an animal during those 4 more (long) years.

The alterative, in my mind, would be to get into screenwriting. I have very little experience (actually none, realistically). But I have written some stuff for fun, and I do believe I could get good if I really focused and gave it all. It’s also something I like very much, I’m obsessed with movies and TV shows, and that has grown more and more over the years. It would be a pretty large gamble tho, cause the odds of becoming a successful screenwriter or director are incredibly slim, but on the other hand it does sound way more fun and fulfilling atm.
I’m kinda burned out on math ngl.

So, what do you guys think? Do I finish my math major first, just to have a degree and a backup plan (sort of), or should I just take a risk and go all in?

@MaestheticMaso @Pretty @0hMan @emeraldglass @HarrierDuBois @garoupilled_ @PointOfNoReturn @BrahminBoss @It'snotover @Ellipsis

• +1
  • Hmm...
Reactions: fuse, Mr. President, Deleted member 19453 and 4 others
Sadly, you just will not be a successful screenwriter. Odds are ten thousand to one.

• So Sad
  • +1
  • Hmm...
Reactions: Deleted member 14392, hattrick, Deleted member 19453 and 2 others
Sadly, you just will not be a successful screenwriter. Odds are ten thousand to one.
brutal since most hollywood scripts are boring and unoriginal anyway

• +1
  • Hmm...
Reactions: fuse, Deleted member 19453, Deleted member 43398 and 1 other person
brutal since most hollywood scripts are boring and unoriginal anyway
Indeed. You just can't make it career-wise as an artist of any sort, unless you have connections or get incredibly lucky.

• +1
  • Hmm...
Reactions: Deleted member 43398 and DelonLover1999
math itself is one of the pure sciences like physics, biology, history.. etc
tehre are no jobs except research and teaching. that's it. Nobody should bother majoring in it unless they are 200IQ who have a solid chance in doing good research and even then salary isnt great lol.

transfer copers will say it prepares you for a data career or you can transfer into programming and mindlessly quote math grad salary stats at you. but if you're gonna go into data and programming anyway, then why not just do that from the start? and the fact math grads tend to have high salaries just means they are so HighIQ they can succeed at anything they want. The math itself doesn't give them anything useful.

you should've majored on something more directly useful.
Machine engineering (electrical/mechanical), Medicine, Agriculture, CompSci and her branches, civil engineering, etc

these subjects actually give you the ability to MAKE/DO something people always WANT to pay for.

btw PhD is a moneymin strategy. if ur on this forum i assume you are in need of fast and heavy money right? why even consider phD

also screenwriting careers are just nepotism central. I can barely navigate a conversation with the fucking cashier :lul: i wouldn't know where to begin in telling you how to make connections there.

• JFL
  • +1
  • Hmm...
Reactions: Deleted member 19453, Deleted member 43398 and DelonLover1999
tehre are no jobs except research and teaching. that's it. Nobody should bother majoring in it unless they are 200IQ who have a solid chance in doing good research and even then salary isnt great lol.

transfer copers will say it prepares you for a data career or you can transfer into programming and mindlessly quote math grad salary stats at you. but if you're gonna go into data and programming anyway, then why not just do that from the start? and the fact math grads tend to have high salaries just means they are so HighIQ they can succeed at anything they want. The math itself doesn't give them anything useful.

Machine engineering (electrical/mechanical), Medicine, Agriculture, CompSci and her branches, civil engineering, etc

these subjects actually give you the ability to MAKE/DO something people always WANT to pay for.

btw PhD is a moneymin strategy. if ur on this forum i assume you are in need of fast and heavy money right? why even consider phD

also screenwriting careers are just nepotism central. I can barely navigate a conversation with the fucking cashier :lul: i wouldn't know where to begin in telling you how to make connections there.
First off, you don’t need to be 200IQ to become a math professor lmao. If you want the fields medal, maybe, but anything above 110ish is fine. Also, I do have actual research potential, but the problem is I’m losing motivation pretty fast. The avg salary for math professor is also good, around 100k/year.

As for the immediate need of money, I don’t really have one. And yes, I agree that PhD is not a great idea in most cases, but it is required in my case, so tough shit.

Lastly, ik that screenwriting and movie directing is a high risk bet. You can always write for smaller stuff or direct more commercial shit but that’s obv not as interesting and will pay way less.

I also have the option of becoming a programmer after college. Most companies dont really care if you have a cs or a physics or a math degree, they just want to know if you have actual coding experience and can do well with interview problems (which I can).

• +1
  • Hmm...
Reactions: fuse and Deleted member 43398
You should drop out of college and live in the woods like a hippie.

• Hmm...
Reactions: Deleted member 43398
Are you willing to not eat for screenwriting? If yes, do it. If not, stay to math and find a way to hype yourself up with it.

• +1
  • Hmm...
Are you willing to not eat for screenwriting? If yes, do it. If not, stay to math and find a way to hype yourself up with it.
Hard gamble means hard loss, so you have to be ready for it. You might win, but if you loose, be ready. After that I see no problem.

• +1
  • Hmm...
sound advice, thanks.

the screenwriting thing is prob a pipedream, i dont even know if i have real talent tbh, i just really enjoy watching and thinking about movies and can write pretty well

• Hmm...
  • +1
Reactions: fuse and Deleted member 43398
redditors will say become a programmer

• +1
  • Hmm...
Reactions: Master_Wanky, mrr, Deleted member 43398 and 1 other person
Film.

• +1
  • Hmm...
Reactions: mrr and Deleted member 43398
Backstory: I’m a math major in my junior year in college. I’ve always liked the subject since I was a kid and I am quite good at it, but the last few months I’ve been gradually losing interest for some reason. Went to a congress that had some insane researchers and very good talks, but while it was def interesting, I kinda feel like the magic is gone with me and math. Being a professor is good imo, decent salary for not much work. But the brutal part is having to get a PhD which takes a lot of time, and the quality of your thesis heavily dictates what types of unis will give you a shot at a job, so you have to study like an animal during those 4 more (long) years.

The alterative, in my mind, would be to get into screenwriting. I have very little experience (actually none, realistically). But I have written some stuff for fun, and I do believe I could get good if I really focused and gave it all. It’s also something I like very much, I’m obsessed with movies and TV shows, and that has grown more and more over the years. It would be a pretty large gamble tho, cause the odds of becoming a successful screenwriter or director are incredibly slim, but on the other hand it does sound way more fun and fulfilling atm.

So, what do you guys think? Do I finish my math major first, just to have a degree and a backup plan (sort of), or should I just take a risk and go all in?

@MaestheticMaso @Pretty @0hMan @emeraldglass @HarrierDuBois @garoupilled_ @PointOfNoReturn @BrahminBoss @It'snotover @Ellipsis
You've come a long way, so my advice would be to complete college before considering anything else. Prioritize it because it offers security, and you've already put effort into it.

• Hmm...
Get into AI / machine learning, you need to be decent at maths and it’s not boring and has lots of jobs. You could even finish your degree: Bsc in Math, Msc in Comp Sci.

• +1
  • Hmm...
Reactions: hattrick, DelonLover1999 and Deleted member 43398
pursue screenwriting as a hobby, people are succesful authors while still working full-time and that takes a lot more effort imo

• +1
  • Hmm...
Reactions: DelonLover1999 and Deleted member 43398
Going to uni for writing is a scam btw, It's a natural talent. You can do some online courses that's all you'll need. Make sure to read a lot of scripts and heavy literature as well

• +1
  • Hmm...
Reactions: fuxkdakikez, DelonLover1999, Deleted member 43398 and 1 other person
Pursue your dreams and be a film maker
James cameron was a random truck driver before and now he is worth 600m dollars

• Hmm...
redditors will say become a programmer
BE A COMPUTER NERD ALL YOUR LIFE BRO:::!!!!!l PAYS GOOD bRO!

• JFL
  • Hmm...
Reactions: Deleted member 43398 and Deleted member 31155
kind of on the same boat tbh. im a computer wiz but i dont really wanna pursue cs in clg so im going for a arts or law degree (my major interest lies in art and designing ) iill continue to upskill my cs knowledge no matter what course i choose so i can land a pretty good cs job even i fuck my designing/law career

• +1
  • Hmm...
Film maker is mogger career tbh

• Love it
  • Hmm...
get the PHD its too late and a professor is a mogger career you can pick up JBs right from the get go and it gives you more time to ascend

• JFL
Reactions: DelonLover1999

Open an of

Get into AI / machine learning, you need to be decent at maths and it’s not boring and has lots of jobs. You could even finish your degree: Bsc in Math, Msc in Comp Sci.
something I've contemplated, too

If I need a good job in the mid-term to support a family or something, I'll probably go this route

Pursue your dreams and be a film maker
James cameron was a random truck driver before and now he is worth 600m dollars
pursue screenwriting as a hobby, people are succesful authors while still working full-time and that takes a lot more effort imo
I'll keep on writing and trying to perfect this craft. Thanks for the input guys this thread was way more successful than I anticipated.

• +1
Reactions: fuse and Mr. President
you know how crazy they would go if they saw this

• Love it
get the PHD its too late and a professor is a mogger career you can pick up JBs right from the get go and it gives you more time to ascend
there will probably be no JB's (or good looking women at all, for that matter) in advanced math classes lmao, which are the ones I would most likely want to teach

However in first year courses like Calc and Liner Algebra there will be plenty

• +1
there will probably be no JB's (or good looking women at all, for that matter) in advanced math classes lmao, which are the ones I would most likely want to teach

However in first year courses like Calc and Liner Algebra there will be plenty
aim for the lower ones. its easy peasy

• +1
  • +1
Reactions: Mr. President
Delon with professor halo would be ideal ngl

But according to my mom I mog him, so I'm pretty set in life tbh. Feels good :) (I am slowly dying inside).
shes right. i got compared to delon once and it made my month even though they were lying

• +1
especially if your like late 20s and the collagen holds up its so over for gen alpha
it most likely will

thing I'm worried abt the most is eyebrows, cause my dad lost a lot of density in his mid to late 20s for some reason

• +1
shes right. i got compared to delon once and it made my month even though they were lying
that's weird cause you don't really resemble him much, despite looking good

• +1
it most likely will

thing I'm worried abt the most is eyebrows, cause my dad lost a lot of density in his mid to late 20s for some reason
minox. imma minox max once i get my lazy ass up

• +1
that's weird cause you don't really resemble him much, despite looking good
i think its the deep canine fossa with my round blue eyes remember these people don't think in ratios like we do

• +1

what a retard jfl

• +1
Reactions: Mr. President

What is this nonsense?

At least here in the UK, most maths degree holders do very well. They go into IB, Quant trading, Acturial sciences ect. Most careers, especially in finance, do not require you to have a specific degree. Again this is in the UK

• +1
What is this nonsense?

At least here in the UK, most maths degree holders do very well.
RETARD.
I JUST explained why math degree holders do well. it's because math grads were already smart. that's why they'll do well transferring anywhere. Same goes for physics grads.
It doesn't mean studying differential geometry or Classical Electrodynamics magically prepared them for computer programming or anything else. Correlation =/= Causation. Its just that the people who can delve deep and master those subjects already started off with better intellectual raw materials than most people.

They go into IB, Quant trading, Acturial sciences ect. Most careers, especially in finance, do not require you to have a specific degree. Again this is in the UK
So you just admitted those careers you mentioned math grads go into, don't require a specific degree. ?
...Then why get a math degree except for fun? LIKE I SAID EARLIER. it trains you for no specific job except teaching and research (which are available for every field) rather than a directly useful degree in:
- CompSci and her branches
- Computer engineering
- Machine eng (electric/mech)
- Civil Eng
- Chemical eng
- Agriculture

which all prepare you to supply something always in demand in the job market.

and if you have the talent to to do so, you can enter finance careers too. just like u said they don't have specific degree requirements.

Man I be out here casting pearls before lobotomised pigs and shiet :feelskek:

RETARD.
I JUST explained why math degree holders do well. it's because math grads were already smart. that's why they'll do well transferring anywhere. Same goes for physics grads.
It doesn't mean studying differential geometry or Classical Electrodynamics magically prepared them for computer programming or anything else. Correlation =/= Causation. Its just that the people who can delve deep and master those subjects already started off with better intellectual raw materials than most people.

So you just admitted those careers you mentioned math grads go into, don't require a specific degree. ?
...Then why get a math degree except for fun? LIKE I SAID EARLIER. it trains you for no specific job except teaching and research (which are available for every field) rather than a directly useful degree in:
- Computer engineering
- Civil Eng
- Chemical eng
- Agriculture

and if you have the talent to to do so, you can enter finance careers too. just like u said they don't have specific degree requirements.

No, you implied that they do well because they have a genius level IQ, not the case at all. Nowadays, many maths courses have modules in computing, financial mathematics ect which are all very useful in today’s world. Not to mention that the degree shows that you can solve problems effectively. Once again very useful.

Either way, if you enjoy maths or physics, study it. Like you said, if you’re good enough to study these hard classic subjects, then you’re most probably good enough to get into high finance or do a masters in something else like computing.

• +1
No, you implied that they do well because they have a genius level IQ, not the case at all. Nowadays, many maths courses have modules in computing, financial mathematics ect which are all very useful in today’s world. Not to mention that the degree shows that you can solve problems effectively. Once again very useful.
So just pull modules from degrees that actually get you a job theory. :feelskek::feelskek:

every time you say something you refute yourself and agree with me. Poor IQcel nigga Im done guiding you.
go wank over your Abstract algebra books for three years if thats what u want and then buy Python for Dummies in your twenties JFL
Python for dummies

RETARD.

- Computer engineering
- Civil Eng
- Chemical eng
- Agriculture

And why do you keep mentioning agriculture jfl??? Jfl
So just pull modules from degrees that actually get you a job theory. :feelskek::feelskek:

every time you say something you refute yourself and agree with me. Poor IQcel nigga Im done guiding you.
go wank over your Abstract algebra books for three years if thats what u want and then buy Python for Dummies in your twenties JFL
View attachment 2461033
Dumb fuck stop with the Strawmans, maths is looked upon very favourably in the corporate world, even more so than engineering. I would know since I’ve done Internships at J.P, Rothschild ect. What have you done, dog ? Unless you want to be an engineer or programmer , why study it ? Rather than maths at a high ranking uni, leaving your doors open for careers in finance, insurance, trading ect or progressing nicely into a masters like computing ?

Worthless subhuman Dalit, I wonder which trash uni you study at ?

• JFL

Dumb fuck stop with the Strawmans, maths is looked upon very favourably in the corporate world, even more so than engineering. I would know since I’ve done Internships at J.P, Rothschild ect. What have you done, dog ? Unless you want to be an engineer or programmer , why study it ? Rather than maths at a high ranking uni, leaving your doors open for careers in finance, insurance, trading ect or progressing nicely into a masters like computing ?

Oh and BTW, did you know that you can study maths and comp science or maths and econ as well??. It’s not just pure maths out there.

• +1
Buy a bagof fentanyl and od

exactly, ignore this complete retard

toilet cleaner