Programming skills but no clues on how to use it to makes money

S

Slyfex8

Sphinx
I've been programming using java since like 6-7 years because I needed to make plugins for a game. For the moment the only diploma I have is a baccalaureate. Really it seems to be pretty hard to makes money online using programming languages that are mostly used for softwares.

tbh I hate the web world when it comes to programming but it seems to be the best shit to makes money online but even it seems difficult nowodays because of curries doing the same things for 10x cheaper...

Anyone here make money online using their programming skills ?

• +1
Reactions: bwrauycnee, thecel and one job away
I've been programming using java since like 6-7 years because I needed to make plugins for a game. For the moment the only diploma I have is a baccalaureate. Really it seems to be pretty hard to makes money online using programming languages that are mostly used for softwares.

tbh I hate the web world when it comes to programming but it seems to be the best shit to makes money online but even it seems difficult nowodays because of curries doing the same things for 10x cheaper...

Im curious as to what you know.

Can you name design patterns and what you use them for ?

• +1
Reactions: thecel and Slyfex8
you could became the greatest hacker in the world

• Love it
Reactions: thecel

Basically I've been programming Minecraft plugins for years. I've learned all the programming logic from that.

The big difference between making a plugin and making a real software is that no time comes a "graphical" part, it's kind of like constantly doing the backend.

I respect the programming idioms: I respect the conventions of the language, I use the notion of object-oriented programming and I use specific tools for dependency management such as Maven.

I know the basics of SQL and use it regularly with mysql mainly.

• +1
Reactions: one job away

Im asking this to evaluate how far in Java you are and if your knowledge is any useful for programming.

everyone can code. But building proper code is a whole different story.

Java is a lot used for backend stuff. But just cuz you code Java for 7 years on your own that doesn’t mean anything.

Like it’s about the overall concepts of programming. The language in itself is super irrelevant. Just the ideas and blocks how to build code, that is important.

• +1
Reactions: Slyfex8
Basically I've been programming Minecraft plugins for years. I've learned all the programming logic from that.

The big difference between making a plugin and making a real software is that no time comes a "graphical" part, it's kind of like constantly doing the backend.

I respect the programming idioms: I respect the conventions of the language, I use the notion of object-oriented programming and I use specific tools for dependency management such as Maven.

I know the basics of SQL and use it regularly with mysql mainly.
All good and important things. Java is mostly used for backend. So idk if you can monetize it on your own. Building websites that require backend is usually a task way too big for a single dude anyways. Also learning spring and all that Web shit requires a lot of time.

But if you familiarized yourself with coding in general I heard roblox is a easy way make some money. Different language but the concepts are always the same

• +1
All good and important things. Java is mostly used for backend. So idk if you can monetize it on your own. Building websites that require backend is usually a task way too big for a single dude anyways. Also learning spring and all that Web shit requires a lot of time.

But if you familiarized yourself with coding in general I heard roblox is a easy way make some money. Different language but the concepts are always the same

Actually you need to know that I am making money with my Minecraft server, the ability to makes my own plugins allowed me to obtain certain advantages over the competition. But it is only about 300 euros per month of benefits. Exceptions are the months of school vacations when I was able to make 900 euros for 2 months

• Woah
Actually you need to know that I am making money with my Minecraft server, the ability to makes my own plugins allowed me to obtain certain advantages over the competition. But it is only about 300 euros per month of benefits. Exceptions are the months of school vacations when I was able to make 900 euros for 2 months
That’s good man. Then you have your niche. Offer your services to other servers ?

• +1
That’s good man. Then you have your niche. Offer your services to other servers ?

Actually I guess that's doable to stay in that niche and scale up.

selling ready-made plugins doesn't seem to be profitable, selling custom plugins to individuals is probably much more profitable but you still need to popularize and find customers tbh

• +1

selling ready-made plugins doesn't seem to be profitable, selling custom plugins to individuals is probably much more profitable but you still need to popularize and find customers tbh
So like Java has basically two ways it’s used afaik. Web development backend. You can’t really do that on your own tbh. Someone would have to teach you all the stuff anyways.

The other thing it’s used for is android apps. Those can be programmed in java. app dev is probably what you should get into if you have cool ideas. Nearly forgot about app dev lol. It’s a huuuge field. Easily done by yourself as well.

And the last thing is what you got going on already.

but yeah App development is pretty fun and can be monetized easily as a single person. I nearly forgot about that. You are also only doing stuff on your own so no one can sue you if It’s not on the standard it should be.
Defenitly Programme Apps. Would also get your foot In the door if you want to work for app dev companies later on. If you have some cool stuff to show. That’s defenitly good.

Last edited:
  • +1
  • Love it
Reactions: bwrauycnee, Slyfex8 and Deleted member 5786

Did you make Minecraft plugins? I learned all my skills off that shit and made hella money.

Edit: Just saw your post that you did. You have a good foundation with it.

Last edited:
  • +1

I sold premade plugins on SpigotMC and made like $30k+ off it. This was 5 years ago so probably a lot different now. I worked for Hypixel for a brief period of time but they only paid $12 an hour :ROFLMAO:.

But my advice would be to learn a different language. Java isn't good for anything except for Minecraft plugins. Well, you could learn how to make Android apps which is in Java.

• +1
Did you make Minecraft plugins? I learned all my skills off that shit and made hella money.

Edit: Just saw your post that you did. You have a good foundation with it.
I sold premade plugins on SpigotMC and made like $30k+ off it. This was 5 years ago so probably a lot different now. I worked for Hypixel for a brief period of time but they only paid $12 an hour :ROFLMAO:.

But my advice would be to learn a different language. Java isn't good for anything except for Minecraft plugins. Well, you could learn how to make Android apps which is in Java.

That's insane tbh today there are some premium resources that must have generated 30k$ on spigot but more than a few dozen I think.

When you talk about learning a new language I'm pretty sure you're talking about languages that are mainly used for the web nowodays. I mean becoming a fullstack developer is probably one of the best way to makes money online and on your own.. Still it is necessary to master a huge number of different technologies and also to make a place in the tough competition

So like Java has basically two ways it’s used afaik. Web development backend. You can’t really do that on your own tbh. Someone would have to teach you all the stuff anyways.

The other thing it’s used for is android apps. Those can be programmed in java. app dev is probably what you should get into if you have cool ideas. Nearly forgot about app dev lol. It’s a huuuge field. Easily done by yourself as well.

And the last thing is what you got going on already.

but yeah App development is pretty fun and can be monetized easily as a single person. I nearly forgot about that. You are also only doing stuff on your own so no one can sue you if It’s not on the standard it should be.
Defenitly Programme Apps. Would also get your foot In the door if you want to work for app dev companies later on. If you have some cool stuff to show. That’s defenitly good.

In the past I had read that to make a decent amount of money creating apps you need to have a lot of creativity but also a lot of LUCK, and that in the end very few people make any decent money at all. Maybe it was bad information or maybe it has changed since then. I'll have to find out more.

In the past I had read that to make a decent amount of money creating apps you need to have a lot of creativity but also a lot of LUCK, and that in the end very few people make any decent money at all. Maybe it was bad information or maybe it has changed since then. I'll have to find out more.
You won't make any real money with your own apps. You need to work for someone making them.

• +1
Well there are 3 ways to make money as a programmer in generell 1) be employed 2) make your shit like a startup or 3) freelance like on fiverr or make your own website for yourself or develop plugins for other servers.

With Java I know That you can make Apps or develop backend. And apparently it’s good for making Minecraft stuff.

which way you choose is up to you.

making your own apps defenitly requires luck as well.
If you want steady safe income ofc try to get employed somewhere. Question is are you good enough so a company employs you? Idk that’s on you

• +1
you know javascript ?

Programming is just a means to an end. You need to identify some unmet need in some field and use programming to solve it. This can be in whatever you’re familiar with or interested in. Then you need to market your product properly to make proper money.