Psychological Thread : Are People Born Good ?

currylightskin

currylightskin

Yakhiiiiiiii 😹😹😹😹🤙🤙🤙🤙💦
There are two important, Indeed, fundamental questions you have to answer in life. The first is: Is there a god? Specifically, a moral and Judging creator? The second is: Are people basically good? Your answer to the second question will shape just about all of your moral, social, and political views even more than when you believe in god. That's why a believer and an atheist who have the same views about human nature almost always have the same social and political views. Let me give you some examples. You've probably heard the phrase "Poverty causes crime". If you believe that people are basically good, you are likely to believe that poverty, or bigotry, or some other outside force, causes people to commit violent crimes. That's the only way you can make sense of the fact that some people commit crimes, despite their basically good nature! Something drove them to it. But if you don't believe that people are basically good you're far more likely to blame the criminals themselves, not outside forces, for their actions. One more example. In a society where it is believed that people are basically good, parents and society don't devote great efforts towards making good people, after all, if we're born good, why do you have to teach goodness? On the other hand, those who don't believe that we are all that good understand that parents and society have to undertake major efforts to make children into good adults. OK then, are people basically good? As I will show, given humanities history, the answer should be obvious. Of course human nature isn't basically good! Now this doesn't mean that people are basically bad, We are born with real potential to do good, but we are not basically good. Take babies. Babies are lovable and innocent, but they're not good; they're entirely self-centered, as they have to be in order to survive! I want mommy, I want milk, I want to be held, I want to be comforted... and if you do not do all these things immediately, I will ruin your life! (baby crying) That's not goodness, that's narcissisms. We are born narcissists. pre-occupied with #1, ourselves, and if you've ever worked with kids, you know how cruel, how bullying they can be. And don't parents have to tell their child tens of thousands of times "Say Thank you!" Now why is that? If we're naturally good, wouldn't feeling and expressing gratitude come naturally? And then, there is the historical record. Evils, Huge evils, affecting much of the human race, have been the norm. Here goes just a few examples: The Ottoman Turks targeted millions of Armenian Christians for death during World War 1. The German Nazi Regime murdered 6 million jews, 2 out of every 3 European jews, including more than a million children and babies. The Soviet Communist Regime slaughtered about 5 million Ukranians and about 25 million other innocents. The Chinese Communist killed about 70 million Chinese and enslaved the rest of the Chinese people. The North Korean Communist Regime has built what one could only call "the world's largest concentration camp," Most of North Korea. In post-colonial Congo in the decade between 1998 and 2008, over 5 million people were murdered, and tens if not hundreds of thousands of women raped. Of course, before that, about 10 million Africans were kidnapped and made slaves in the European Slave Trade, and another 10 to 18 million Africans were enslaved by Arab Slave Traders. And let me ask you this: If people are basically good, why does every civilization have so many laws to control human behavior? Knowing all this, those who believe that people are basically good have simply made a decision to believe that, and Ignore all the evidence. Why do people commit evil? Because it's easy to, It's tempting to, and yes, it often accords with human nature. That is why figuring out how to make good people is the single, most important project in all of human life. But first, you have to believe it's necessary.

• +1
Reactions: incel194012940, Deleted member 8988, Kingcel32 and 1 other person
Dn rd

• Love it
  • WTF
  • JFL
Reactions: alriodai, ALP, Deleted member 4106 and 2 others
mirin formatting

• +1
  • JFL
  • Hmm...
Reactions: Deleted member 13787, Moggie, Gerardwayfan and 2 others
not reading

• +1
Reactions: ALP and currylightskin
who tf is going to read all that philosophy wall of text

• +1
Reactions: A23ghskung, ALP and currylightskin
did read

people can be born more friendly and less aggressive than others, as it can be seen everytime by people's faces

and the environment problem is always happening because of power, the bigger fish eats the smaller one so he can become stronger and be more likely to survive, if he was good and friendly the big fish will die because of other power hungry fishes

so called evil is just a product of surviving in a brutal environment, mix that with genius IQ and some psychopathy and you get dictators like hitler, stalin, etc.

• Love it
Reactions: currylightskin
No one is born anything wether it may be good or evil

• +1
Reactions: currylightskin and alriodai
People are self-interested. However, that self-interest appears in different ways for different people. Some people get there jiggles off slaughtering children and then abusing their corpses, while others get theirs by giving away all their income to charities for no recognition. Luckily for societies, most people are somewhere in the middle, and we have developed laws and systems to suppress the more sadistic elements in people, de-incentivizing them from actually going through with their sadism. Of course, when our societies break down in any way, such as poverty for example, people incentive to actually commit crime whether to get money in order to feed their families or perform their own sadistic pleasures for their self interest rises, as their lives are shit.

• +1
5S4RfCRh.jpg

• +1
people are not born good, we are born to survive but some people's spirits are more ascended than others and hence gravitate towards doing things that benefit others as well as themselves

• +1
You don’t want to go down this deep deep topic. Trust me. But your answer will ultimately be dependent on the first question not the second.

• +1
nigger use paragraphs smh

read the bible and stop being schizo

16386.jpg

• Love it
no we are inherently not good or evil, we simply act according to morals because we grew up with them i think (y)

we do however inherently posses empathy and will try to avoid hurting others unless it is neccesary

• +1
Reactions: currylightskin and Deleted member 8988
the assumption is that there IS a good shouldn't be unquestioned, even though I agree with it. Because of so much variation between different peoples and cultures morality. For any given action how would you define it as good? And how might it differ with someone elses definition?

I think people are born with innate human qualities, as well as individual and maybe racial qualities.
Whether or not any specific one is "Good" is in practice mostly projection, although it's probably possible to reach a more objective conclusion. Anthropology and psychology prove definitely there are massive and still largely unclear human similarities in what's traditionally considered societal conditioning, even if they do feel restrained by the scientific framework from passing judgement

"evil" is a concept i'm not quite as sold on. I'd need a definition. If anything seems like an "evil" concept, an arrogant cope that lets you treat life as a video game, destroying your "evil" enemies and not giving it a second thought.

I don't think the existence of laws contradicts inherent human goodness.
If 1% of people go against certain social norms, it doesn't prove that those norms aren't strongly entrenched, it proves that they are. Because of how much contrast the infraction creates.

Also because laws seem to be innate to any social structure, even among animals, whether or not they're rationalized and codified.

• +1