Question about cardiomaxxing (swimming)

Nerozine

Nerozine

Substance enjoyer
So I enjoy martial arts very much and cardio is king. Besides, we all know being lean and fit has it’s advantages in regular life as well. I did some research into the best ways of improving your cardio and my take away is that swimming is the ultimate cardio enhancer because of two reasons:

•It barely puts any stress on your joints because you’re basically weightless. This is great for longevity.

•The waters resistance means the whole body gets a workout, not just the legs like with running for example.

A8EEFCF4 3135 4C39 935E 6AFCEC9DC9FE

With that being said, I have a river pretty close to my house and I’m very willing to swim in it but it is cold as fuck JFL, about 10C.

Everyone is aware that cold water exposure burn MAJOR calories so my question is this:
Will swimming in a cold river be good for improving cardio, or will I just WASTE my calories because they’re not being used to exercise but to warm my body?
C98886D9 1CC8 4B8C 8F7E EFD1E492BF9C

JFL at this dude on the North Pole

• +1
Reactions: MakinItHappen
yes swimming in the ocean/rivers is way better for you since you dont get chlorine all over your skin, swimming,boxing and sprinting are the best forms of cardio there is

Swimming in a cold river by yourself is extremely dangerous, use a pool and put some body oil on before entering the water to protect your skin if you decide to swim frequently.

• +1
Reactions: bradpittshairline
yes swimming in the ocean/rivers is way better for you since you dont get chlorine all over your skin, swimming,boxing and sprinting are the best forms of cardio there is
Yes but do you have an answer to the question about temperature?

Swimming in a cold river by yourself is extremely dangerous, use a pool and put some body oil on before entering the water to protect your skin if you decide to swim frequently.
Why is it dangerous

only a faggot who is paranoid about evertyhnign would say swimming in 10 degrees water is dangerous,thats not even cold at all same temp as a cold shower

only a faggot who is paranoid about evertyhnign would say swimming in 10 degrees water is dangerous,thats not even cold at all same temp as a cold shower
Winters are here it’s dangerous u retard if he gets tired of a cramp it’s over inside a river

• +1
Reactions: DildoFaggins
Why is it dangerous
There are random currents in different parts of rivers while cold water causes muscles to contract, stiffen, and shrink which causes cramps. Many people have drowned that way

• +1
Reactions: ConfusedBolivian
Don't know the answer to your question because only a crazy person would try to swim in 10C water for more than a few minutes. You will need a swimming wetsuit, I used to have one when I did Triathlon open water swims. But even with a 1/4" wetsuit like this, 10C is cold, and if you do not already have the aerobic capacity to swim hard enough to warm your body, then you will fail.

Eta: you are failing to consider the wear the swimming motion puts on your shoulders, it is an unnatural movement. Once you become good at swimming your legs do not get much exercise.
iu

Last edited: