(Research) Tretinoin doesn't increase photosensitivity

Soalian

Soalian

Kraken
Published Research:

r/tretinoin - Tretinoin does not increase sun sensitivity

Now here me out. Every summer I see an uptick in either jokes about avoiding the sun or questions about how many times a day tret users should re-apply sunblock. In reality, there is very little peer-reviewed literature indicating that tret makes your skin more sun sensitive.

In fact, this article,

Reappraising the phototoxicity of Tretinoin

explicitly tests whether or not tret increases your sensitivity to sun. They recognize that “recent literature and FDA-approved package labeling for all tretinoin products state explicitly that tretinoin is both a phototoxin and a photosensitizer. Our findings in four separate trials that tretinoin is neither phototoxic or photoallergenic.” They conclude “thus at least 10 separate studies, including the four reported here, have reached the conclusion that tretinoin is not a phototoxin or photoallergen” (pg. 151). This is just one of those weird medical things that gets repeated and repeated with little evidence to back it up.

I know your doctor probably told you that tret does increase sun sensitivity. The sad fact is many doctors just repeat what they are told in medical school and seldom actually read more current studies.
I am not saying don’t wear sunblock. For god’s sake, please do. I do. We all should. I’m just saying that tret users don’t need to hide in the attic from May till September or figure out ingenious ways to reapply four times a day without ruining your make up. We should be just as careful about sun exposure as everyone else.

• +1
  • JFL
Reactions: Deprived, dakchuh, PURE ARYAN GENETICS and 4 others
I am photophobic

i use spf 50 either way tbh my face gets red instantly when exposed to summer sun but nice to know thanks

I bask in Chennai hot sun for an hour while applying high strength tret. It doesn’t do dog shit like irritate my skin or any other bs. Sometimes I apply sunscreen sometimes I don’t. No difference. Now I’m avoiding sun and msm maxing to get to a better skin tone but yea gud thread

Published Research:

r/tretinoin - Tretinoin does not increase sun sensitivity

Now here me out. Every summer I see an uptick in either jokes about avoiding the sun or questions about how many times a day tret users should re-apply sunblock. In reality, there is very little peer-reviewed literature indicating that tret makes your skin more sun sensitive.

In fact, this article,

Reappraising the phototoxicity of Tretinoin

explicitly tests whether or not tret increases your sensitivity to sun. They recognize that “recent literature and FDA-approved package labeling for all tretinoin products state explicitly that tretinoin is both a phototoxin and a photosensitizer. Our findings in four separate trials that tretinoin is neither phototoxic or photoallergenic.” They conclude “thus at least 10 separate studies, including the four reported here, have reached the conclusion that tretinoin is not a phototoxin or photoallergen” (pg. 151). This is just one of those weird medical things that gets repeated and repeated with little evidence to back it up.

I know your doctor probably told you that tret does increase sun sensitivity. The sad fact is many doctors just repeat what they are told in medical school and seldom actually read more current studies.
I am not saying don’t wear sunblock. For god’s sake, please do. I do. We all should. I’m just saying that tret users don’t need to hide in the attic from May till September or figure out ingenious ways to reapply four times a day without ruining your make up. We should be just as careful about sun exposure as everyone else.
So I can tan while using tretinoin and wearing sunblock?

Ive been using Tret for almost a year now. I can attest, that being in the sun lightly won't hurt you. But for when i was in the sun for prolonged periods of time, even with SPF50 I had burning and red inflammation because of the sensitivity of my skin.

• +1
Reactions: PURE ARYAN GENETICS
yeah no nigga it does