Retainers, wear them or not after braces treatment?

D

Deleted member 1990

Gold
My braces were recently taken off and my teeth have had a major ascension but should I wear the retainer or no? I've heard it stunts palatal expansion and in turn skull expansion. Tagging @ChristianChad because he seemed knowledgeable on this stuff.

• +1
Reactions: ChristianChad
what age are you?

If you don't wear them your teeth will return to how they were
whether or not your palate would grow more from this point is uncertain
If your teeth were crooked beforehand, not wearing your retainer and having them return to that position could narrow your arch

If you don't wear them your teeth will return to how they were
whether or not your palate would grow more from this point is uncertain
If your teeth were crooked beforehand, not wearing your retainer and having them return to that position could narrow your arch
So I should wear the retainers? The lower arch has a fixed retainer which I can get rid of by cutting the wire, the upper arch has a removable retainer

So I should wear the retainers? The lower arch has a fixed retainer which I can get rid of by cutting the wire, the upper arch has a removable retainer
Yes you should wear them
You are defeating the purpose of getting braces in the first place if you don't

• +1
Reactions: Deleted member 1990
I got my retainers off last year and my teeth are still straight from mewing

• +1
Reactions: RAMU KAKA, Deleted member 8608 and Deleted member 1990
I would stop wearing everything. Braces is a lose-lose situation for growing people
I would simply get palatal expansion and braces later in life. For now let your dental arches naturally grow as much as they could.

Eat a lot of animal protein and fat soluble Vitamins like A, D, K and supplement 15-45mg per day of Vitamin K2 MK4 drops.

• +1
They haven't stunted mine

• +1
Reactions: ChristianChad
You must wear your retainers, espeically if your wisdom teeth are not out yet. Otherwisey you will have to wear braces (or invisalign) later again in life or end up with crooked teeth. For the love of god do not listen to looksmax users, listen to your doctor.

• +1
Reactions: kuroro and Deleted member 1990
You must wear your retainers, espeically if your wisdom teeth are not out yet. Otherwisey you will have to wear braces (or invisalign) later again in life or end up with crooked teeth. For the love of god do not listen to looksmax users, listen to your doctor.
If he is going to do palatal expansion later in life he would get braces as part of the treatment anyways.

OP I'm not an expert you should do whatever's right for your case.

• +1
If he is going to do palatal expansion later in life he would get braces as part of the treatment anyways.

OP I'm not an expert you should do whatever's right for your case.
yes, that is true of course but in that case he should still wear his retainers now and then go ahead with whatever treatment he pursues in the future

• +1
yes, that is true of course but in that case he should still wear his retainers now and then go ahead with whatever treatment he pursues in the future
It may alter his natural growth

• +1

Users who are viewing this thread

Back