Sacrifice Forward Growth

pagodagu

pagodagu

Compassion and Acceptance
All of you are familiar with Forward Growth, most of you also with Occlusal Plane Rotation, How would you compare them to each other in terms of importance?

As seen below a patient with underbite/increased occlusal plane, go under a Ortho-surgical treatment to increase the rotation of said plane.
F624 06 9781416043898
8de719b18f5750ee6721094db1c00d9d06ca5c16

What are your thoughts on what if they got a lefort 1 with gonial implants, patient A1 specifically.
The angle of the occlusal plane seems influence the attractiveness of the profile quite heavily, more forward growth might not always be the answer.

• Hmm...
Reactions: Deleted member 32486
Solution
pagodagu
Update to OP

High occlusal plane shows:
  • when it is >12 deg
  • follows with increased mandibular plane
  • anterior vertical maxillary excess (down grown)
  • more lower face height (downgrownnn)
  • shorter ramus
  • malloclusion
  • open bite
  • sleep apnea
Low occlusal plane shows:
  • when it is <4 deg
  • increased projection of pogonion
  • anterior overbite
  • lower curve of Spee
  • malloclusion
  • decrease of inclination in incisors
To combat a high plane you would need to go for a CCW rotation, hence for low plane a CW rotation. With the surgical increase/decrease of the occlusal plane, the deformities and above characteristics are changed and fixed.

What I think is that these changes should precede...
Deformities like these are often accompanied with improper jaw function specifically mandibular autorotation, hence the selective alteration of the occlusal plane allows the maxillofacial surgeon to reestablish the correct and proper jaw function with respect to the cranial base and, consequently, better esthetic results in patients with dentoskeletal deformities.

Deformities like these are often accompanied with improper jaw function specifically mandibular autorotation, hence the selective alteration of the occlusal plane allows the maxillofacial surgeon to reestablish the correct and proper jaw function with respect to the cranial base and, consequently, better esthetic results in patients with dentoskeletal deformities.
Yeah but she looks better more forward grown. She needs paleolithic maxilla, bro science, etc.

Unless you have SFS there is no need to adjust the occlusal plane

Unless you have SFS there is no need to adjust the occlusal plane
Definitely not the only case, refer to the study I linked. The plane rotation is an indicator of many other problems.

Update to OP

• when it is >12 deg
  • shorter ramus
  • malloclusion
  • open bite
  • sleep apnea
  • when it is <4 deg
  • anterior overbite
  • lower curve of Spee
  • malloclusion
To combat a high plane you would need to go for a CCW rotation, hence for low plane a CW rotation. With the surgical increase/decrease of the occlusal plane, the deformities and above characteristics are changed and fixed.

What I think is that these changes should precede the obsession we currently have with forward growth.

• +1
Reactions: greycel and Mr. President
Solution
Update to OP

• when it is >12 deg
  • shorter ramus
  • malloclusion
  • open bite
  • sleep apnea
  • when it is <4 deg
  • anterior overbite
  • lower curve of Spee
  • malloclusion

What I think is that these changes should precede the obsession we currently have with forward growth.
you changed my mind! do you know how to measure the occlusal plane?

• +1
Reactions: pagodagu
you changed my mind! do you know how to measure the occlusal plane?
To accurately measure the plane you take the Frankfurt horizontal plane and a line touching the cusps of premolars and second molars.
8ec0fa246c38aba99b2d72b52e5378ec26753984

An easier way of looking at it (not that accurate, esp if you're deformed) is simply draw a line that goes through the points where your chin and top lip are, as that normally indicates the way your PO is angled, Then a second line vertically from your brow ridge.

Hope that helped :p

• +1
Reactions: Mr. President
To accurately measure the plane you take the Frankfurt horizontal plane and a line touching the cusps of premolars and second molars.
View attachment 2477418
An easier way of looking at it (not that accurate, esp if you're deformed) is simply draw a line that goes through the points where your chin and top lip are, as that normally indicates the way your PO is angled, Then a second line vertically from your brow ridge.

Hope that helped :p
can i just pm and you do it im too low iq

• +1
Update to OP

• when it is >12 deg
  • shorter ramus
  • malloclusion
  • open bite
  • sleep apnea
  • when it is <4 deg
  • anterior overbite
  • lower curve of Spee
  • malloclusion

Lol thanks for this, all this time I thought normal was 0 degrees.

• +1