Sclera Exposure: an Addition to our Understanding of Eye Area

Lux

Lux

Kraken

Sclera Exposure
an Addition to our Understanding of Eye Area

A while back I was watching a Jordan Peterson lecture & something he said stuck with me. This is the clip, take a look.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Like Peterson said in the clip, the reason that we’ve evolved to have the white part of our eye, also known as the sclera, is to better interact with other human beings. Our more developed Theory of Mind makes conveying and reading others' gaze direction and emotional expressions much more important for our social intelligence.

Screen Shot 2020 09 05 at 70205 PM

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I believe this is also connected to our brain chemistry & the nature of empathy. Humans have a type of brain cell called a mirror neuron. When you see another person perform an action (this includes facial expressions) mirror neurons make you feel empathy. It stands to reason that you will feel more empathy for a person when it's easier to understand their facial expressions. More sclera exposure makes it easier to be understood, therefore it makes others empathize more.

It’s common knowledge that animated characters are made with bigger eyes to greater emphasize expressions.

Aeead9f18aa8199f76420bd5f3aeb46a
384921a9a512810bae3c7970fafb83eb

They’re also made with disproportionately bigger sclera.

Check out these comparisons.

Less Sclera Exposure | More Sclera Exposure

Screen Shot 2020 09 06 at 42147 AM
Screen Shot 2020 09 06 at 42208 AM

Screen Shot 2020 09 06 at 42220 AM
Screen Shot 2020 09 06 at 42228 AM

Screen Shot 2020 09 06 at 42237 AM
Screen Shot 2020 09 06 at 42244 AM

Screen Shot 2020 09 06 at 42258 AM
Screen Shot 2020 09 06 at 42307 AM

Screen Shot 2020 09 06 at 42317 AM
Screen Shot 2020 09 06 at 42324 AM

Screen Shot 2020 09 06 at 42333 AM
Screen Shot 2020 09 06 at 42341 AM

Sclera exposure doesn't change attractiveness significantly. What matters is that the people on the right would convey emotion better.

I’ve noticed that people with less sclera exposure are more prone to the emotionless alien look. You guys have already been calling Jordan Barrett an alien. Just from the examples above, Kobe Bryant, Taylor Swift, and Ezra Miller have the same look, though mostly to a lesser degree.

Giphy downsized

In his eye area video, the old youtube channel Looks Theory mentioned that sclera show is unattractive. People often interchange sclera show and inferior scleral exposure with sclera exposure. They are not the same though their meanings overlap.

(watch out for the volume)

Though sclera exposure is good, this man’s sclera show has made it unattractive. His eyes also lack overall support, and a bad case of negative orbital vectors create a tired droopy look giving his eyes a negative tilt.

Take a look at these morphs I made of Lil Peep. The original is on the left.

Screen Shot 2020 09 05 at 51310 PM
Peep morphj
Peep morph 2

Peep’s small amount of sclera show is obviously a looksmin. However, since the whites of his eyes are larger, in a social situation Peep on the left would be easier understood & therefore better accepted. Peep doesn't look “dopey” like the example in the video. He looks alert & perceptive.

The middle morph looks average. The difference in attractiveness between it & the original is small. It's like a trade-off; attractiveness for empathy. Peep morphed with hunter eyes makes his total sclera exposure smaller. This makes him look more "alien" i.e. harder to be understood & empathized with.

The whites of the eyes, aka sclera, are important for facial expressions and broadcasting emotions.

Thanks for reading.

• +1
Reactions: Deleted member 8165, randomvanish, Stare and 15 others
Did rd, concluded it is recessed cope

• +1
  • JFL
Reactions: Krezo, BradAniston, Deleted member 6273 and 5 others
It's fucking simple

Don't have any white shit beneath the iris
Have pct
Have large pfl

Best of both worlds

Stop over complicating shit

• +1
Reactions: Allornothing, Deleted member 6128, PubertyMaxxer and 2 others
Good thread op

• +1
Reactions: Lux
  • JFL
  • +1
Reactions: Deleted member 10709, randomvanish, TheEndHasNoEnd and 11 others
Damn I have a shitty area but this is a good thread.

• +1
dnr but ye

• +1
YOU WANT THAT EMOTIONLESS LOW TRUST LOOK , PEOPLE SHOULD BE INTIMIDATED BY YOU BUT AT THE SAME TIME IN AWE OF YOUR BEAUTY.JEFF SEID IS THE PERFECT EXAMPLE DUDES LEGIT BUILT LIKE A FELINE

• JFL
  • +1
Reactions: Patrick Baitman, sandcelmuttcel, Lux and 1 other person
I am so sorry

• So Sad
Great thread read all

• Love it
  • +1
Reactions: BradAniston and Lux
state of this forum.
You again. Do you think it would be advantageous for men to have scleral show so they are more understandable? Almost all attractive traits in men signal health + aggression + intimidation + good growth. Scleral show is caused suboptimal undereyes, meaning a bad maxilla which probably means bad, downward grown jaw.

On the other hand, I'm assuming you want to cope with this being true so you can cope with whatever features you have, so 0 evidence, just eat it all up. Mindless low T attitude, meant to follow.

• +1
Reactions: benchortable
You again. Do you think it would be advantageous for men to have scleral show so they are more understandable? Almost all attractive traits in men signal health + aggression + intimidation + good growth. Scleral show is caused suboptimal undereyes, meaning a bad maxilla which probably means bad, downward grown jaw.

On the other hand, I'm assuming you want to cope with this being true so you can cope with whatever features you have, so 0 evidence, just eat it all up. Mindless low T attitude, meant to follow.
YOU STUPID RETARD I MEAN YOU DIN'T READ THE THREAD AGAIN LIKE YOU DID IN MY THREAD
YOU STUPID COCKROACH AGAIN BE SHITTING AND PISSING ALL OVER CIVILIZED THREADS
FUCK OFF

nothing to do with the scleral show btw

• +1
YOU STUPID RETARD I MEAN YOU DIN'T READ THE THREAD AGAIN LIKE YOU DID IN MY THREAD
YOU STUPID COCKROACH AGAIN BE SHITTING AND PISSING ALL OVER CIVILIZED THREADS
FUCK OFF
I did read the thread you sperg. Clearly you didn't read my comment. Keep barking.

• +1
I did read the thread you sperg. Clearly you didn't read my comment. Keep barking.
i thought it was a typo and you meant dn rd lmao

• JFL
additionally to what jordan peterson said, that's probably also part of the reason why an eye area such as this one appears more intimidating and meaner:
GettyImages 1151685509 e1589024949642

because it's much harder to tell exactly where he's looking

• +1
Yea but girl love mysterious guy, so no sceral show mog

Found this model with an interesting eye area. Despite sclera show, they are well supported & have positive cantal tilt.
E735d2a77961ba8e32ca245ef4530f0e

• +1
Reactions: Copeful
It's important for expression, but that's exactly the reason why more scleral is attractive on females and less attractive on males. On males, they need to look cold and expressionless because showing expression is perceived as being weak. I think it plays a major role in attraction even tho u said it doesn't.

Most important thing for expression (in a good way) especially for males is eyebrows imo.

Last edited:
  • +1
Reactions: Lux and Stare
It's important for expression, but that's exactly the reason why more scleral is attractive on females and less attractive on males. On males, they need to look cold and expressionless because showing expression is perceived as being weak. I think it plays a major role in attraction even tho u said it doesn't.

Most important thing for expression (in a good way) especially for males is eyebrows imo.
think it depends on what you're going for with how you want to be treated but good point

• +1
Reactions: TheEndHasNoEnd
think it depends on what you're going for with how you want to be treated but good point
More scleral is good for JBs I think, look at lorenzo
But also u need outside stuff to balance it. Lorenzo has scleral show but also a good eye shape, hooded eyes, and dense long eyebrows. He's got those psychopath eyes that JBs love

• +1
worth a bump i think

Users who are viewing this thread

Back