Segmental genioplasty for a narrower V taper?

Lonenely sigma

Lonenely sigma

Future "username-o-plasty" candidate
Context

The point of this thread is to gather some knowledge on the topic of chin narrowing through genioplasty. Just so that we are on the same page I will firstly share all I know about this, and then, most importantly, ask @RealSurgerymax a few questions about the topic as I've heard of this first time on his page.

Basically, genioplasty could be modified in a way to split the chin in 3 smaller segments, and then move them separately. By moving the central part further forwards, and by the rotation of the lateral part, you could achieve a narrower chin.

This video I found on Giant Implants' professional ig page describes it very well

Screenshot 20240103 042409 Samsung Notes

The result of this should be a more prettyboyish narrow chin with a tighter genioglossus (most anterior part of the chin).

Now that you are pretty much on the same place where I got stuck, I have a few questions. Again, these questions are meant for @RealSurgerymax, but anyone with a knowledge could reply as well.

Questions

1) How does mentalis muscle react to the chin narrowing? If one has a mentalis strain would it prevent him from doing this?

2) Is the upper limit of the amount of movement the same as with the regular genioplasty?

3) If not, would it be possible to firstly move the chin forwards as much as possible and THEN do the segmenting for a narrower chin?

4) If one wishes to achieve a pointier chin in the vertical direction (sort of like Ryan Gosling's), would a vertical movement of the central part help with that?

Sorry if I am bothering you, I know you always have projects you are working on, but as (hopefully) a future patient in your clinic, I would be grateful if you could share with us a bit more on the topic.

Thanks in advance :)

Last edited:
  • +1
  • Ugh..
Reactions: RealSurgerymax, Weed, Asspear and 2 others
I don't have any insight to add, but these are great questions and you've formated them very well.

• +1
Reactions: Lonenely sigma
why would u want a narrower chin? are you a tranny, nigga?

• JFL
why would u want a narrower chin? are you a tranny, nigga?
Nah I am not, but even if prettyboys piss you off you have to admit they appeal to many women. I won't ever be hypermasculine, my base doesn't allow that, so I am going for the next best thing, and I think I might pull off the look

Nah I am not, but even if prettyboys piss you off you have to admit they appeal to many women. I won't ever be hypermasculine, my base doesn't allow that, so I am going for the next best thing, and I think I might pull off the look
u don’t have to do this with ur chin tho unless u have a very masc chin

u don’t have to do this with ur chin tho unless u have a very masc chin
You don't have to do anything, this is a luxury. Objectively speaking, V-shaped jaws are highly attractive, but again, in most cases standard genioplasty is enough. Again, if you want to achieve something different and specific this may help

any updates or new findings OP @Lonenely sigma great post

i’m wondering is a narrower v taper chin more aesthetic, im starting to think so for both men and women but i wonder if i’m confusing narrow chin vs narrow jaw
0559915A D592 4AFE 8BD3 F68E414BA4BD

in this pic for ex, her actual chin was already narrow to begin with right? But it’s her jaw that got narrowed due to reduction in masseters. this is what v line surgery attempts to accomplish

The jaw frontal angle (angle btwn the jaw and horizontal line)
E772AF94 CDA4 4DF2 ACC6 0C06D1A2E86B
should ideally be at least 45 degrees for both men and women. when it starts getting 30 degrees and below it looks odd oftentimes on both men and women
examples
before

19CB1D52 1F95 4211 AE14 0B4CCCCCA61A
80AF690A 47C7 4E7C 9BBD C0FC810144E2

after either lengthening chin height or slimming jaw (v line taper)
4D489A8D D7C6 4D6C B6F8 86A67CC9BC4E
E2CBDE74 EBCE 4308 BB54 9F33E3B3915E

the jaw frontal angle becomes larger and it looks more aesthetic

would vertical genio affect this jaw frontal angle? it appears so

my question is : is the chin slimming procedure you’re talking about addressing just the chin or the lines that i drew as well?

example of slim jaw and good jaw frontal angle
BD0AC7F4 A13C 49E7 81F2 F69CB4AB7F81
CAF886AF 8C18 4B8E A101 77BFC255B8EE
DC6E5DDE 9960 4DF6 B8B2 C6A8321776ED
1770698A A725 4983 90FC BE7557B86894

@RealSurgerymax any thoughts on the OP? would love to hear your insights

Last edited:
  • +1

i’m wondering is a narrower v taper chin more aesthetic, im starting to think so for both men and women but i wonder if i’m confusing narrow chin vs narrow jawView attachment 2845951

in this pic for ex, her actual chin was already narrow to begin with right? But it’s her jaw that got narrowed due to reduction in masseters. this is what v line surgery attempts to accomplish

The jaw frontal angle (angle btwn the jaw and horizontal line) View attachment 2845960should ideally be at least 45 degrees for both men and women. when it starts getting 30 degrees and below it looks odd oftentimes on both men and women
examples
before

View attachment 2845955View attachment 2845956

View attachment 2845958View attachment 2845959

my question is : is the chin slimming procedure you’re talking about addressing just the chin or the lines that i drew as well?

example of slim jaw and good jaw frontal angleView attachment 2845970View attachment 2845972View attachment 2845973View attachment 2845974

Hey, yeah I've researched the topic and I still stand by what I wrote.

The segmental genio I showed does make your chin more V-shaped in the anterior direction; whether or not it does in the vertical depends on a gonial angle it seems

Now, perhaps you can specifically focus on that vertical direction through a modified version but there certainly is a few options.

You can even do a bit of shaving of the jaw if your jaw looks like the second dude you posted (in the white shirt). Koreans do that, its called a "V-shape mandibuloplasty" or something of that nature, but they generally suck.

I believe the best approach is to go with giant and then ask him to increase the height of your chin, and afterwards have your jaw shaved.

i’m wondering is a narrower v taper chin more aesthetic, im starting to think so for both men and women but i wonder if i’m confusing narrow chin vs narrow jawView attachment 2845951

The jaw frontal angle (angle btwn the jaw and horizontal line) View attachment 2845960should ideally be at least 45 degrees for both men and women. when it starts getting 30 degrees and below it looks odd oftentimes on both men and women
examples
before

View attachment 2845955View attachment 2845956

View attachment 2845958View attachment 2845959

example of slim jaw and good jaw frontal angleView attachment 2845970View attachment 2845972View attachment 2845973View attachment 2845974

Also yeah, regarding those "lines", I actually thought about it too.

V line surgery steps 1024x562

As you can see, they pretty much just cut off part of your mandible from the ramus all the way to just behind the chin. This should, combined with a specific genio, create that separation you mentioned.

The only thing I don't fully understand though is how can you affect the vertical aspect of this. Obviously this would change your horizontal mandible look, but if your gonial angle is low to begin with you should probably start off with CW bimax and then do the rest imo

The segmental genio I showed does make your chin more V-shaped in the anterior direction; whether or not it does in the vertical depends on a gonial angle it seems
thanks for your reply. what do you mean by anterior vs vertical direction?

As you can see, they pretty much just cut off part of your mandible from the ramus all the way to just behind the chin. This should, combined with a specific genio, create that separation you mentioned.

The only thing I don't fully understand though is how can you affect the vertical aspect of this.
ty, im not sure what your confusion is re the vertical aspect. As seen in this pic, if you cut off parts of the sides, then the appearance of the jaw would be narrower from the front
D026AF39 F896 44E1 B8A0 572C96D92AA6

i was thinking along with this shaving of the sides, you could also do vertical genio (they may have to add bone graft to fill in the space)

• +1
thanks for your reply. what do you mean by anterior vs vertical direction?
I meant, if your gonial angle is low, your chin and mandible will be more in the same "line", as opposed to chin being literally under the rest of the mandible if you have a high gonial angle, since it will be facing downwards.

If you have a vertically short mandible, usually like Asians or Slavic people, just doing the genio in the original post wouldn't make it pointier vertically.

Thats why you should probably increase the gonial first, and then even doing anterior projection to the chin would make it more V-shaped, as adding anterior projection would also add vertical one since your jaw will be facing downwards.

• +1
Reactions: nobodyspecial369
I meant, if your gonial angle is low, your chin and mandible will be more in the same "line", as opposed to chin being literally under the rest of the mandible if you have a high gonial angle, since it will be facing downwards.

If you have a vertically short mandible, usually like Asians or Slavic people, just doing the genio in the original post wouldn't make it pointier vertically.

Thats why you should probably increase the gonial first, and then even doing anterior projection to the chin would make it more V-shaped, as adding anterior projection would also add vertical one since your jaw will be facing downwards.
got it ty obviously the higher the gonial angle the more V shaped the chin would be when doing anterior projection (as like you said it would simultaneously be adding vertical projection), but everyone has a gonial angle greater than 90 degrees, so wouldn’t any anterior projection automatically cause at least some vertical projection as well?

That being said, i am unsure if horizontal genio alone would increase the vertical height. that is, does it a) increase the length in a manner parallel to ground level or b) increase it in a manner parallel to whatever angle the jaw already was in?

I guess that depends on the surgeon. i heard someone saying that horizontal projection alone increases vertical height due to b) being true. However what if you ask the surgeon to increase horizontally 5 mm and he interprets that to mean 5 mm parallel to ground level, then the vertical part would remain unchanged.

Also if b) is true, then why even need to specify a requirement of adding vertical genio (height) as well, if that’s already going to happen in proportion to the amount of horizontal length increase? or is the additional vertical specification adding extra vertical height on top of the height you would have already gained if b) occurred