Serious question about mirrors

Awoo

Awoo

Iron
Why do I look good in a mirror, but bad in selfies/pictures?

When I'm looking at myself in the mirror at the gym or at home, I legit think I'm a 6. But then when I take a photo of myself or in most photos I get tagged in, I look sub 4. What is this magic?

• +1
Reactions: Deleted member 6401
I have these feelings too. Lens distortion is definitely one factor that makes you look worse in selfies and pics. People say that another factor is that we are used to looking ourselves in the mirror. I want to know more.

• +1
Reactions: Deleted member 6401 and Nibba
I have these feelings too. Lens distortion is definitely one factor that makes you look worse in selfies and pics. People say that another factor is that we are used to looking ourselves in the mirror. I want to know more.
Just flip your picture but even then it doesn't look good.
You'll look good in high quality professional cameras because they catch more light and whatever details.

• +1
I think mirror are more real, despite mirroring sides of your face. And i want it to be so.

• +1
I think mirror are more real, despite mirroring sides of your face. And i want it to be so.
Irl is somewhere between mirror and camera

• +1
Just flip your picture but even then it doesn't look good.
You'll look good in high quality professional cameras because they catch more light and whatever details.
TBH, I look better after flipping sometimes

• +1
How you look in motion is what matters the most, so mirror and high quality video are the closest to what you actually look like.

• +1
Reactions: Deleted member 6401 and SLA
How you look in motion is what matters the most, so mirror and high quality video are the closest to what you actually look like.
Seconding this. If at all possible, get someone to record a video of you from a few feet away. Then maybe stand around, move your face, or walk in place. Thats what people see you as.

• +1
Reactions: Deleted member 6401 and Armus1
Well that's reassuring, cheers guys (y)

• +1
1) Mirror / Reflection is 3D. When you flatten it, it'll look different. (This one is the 3rd less important of the 3)

2) You're flipping an image. Your eyes are used to looking at yourself (especially your face) through a mirror or reflection. Imperfections you get used to over time aren't surprising anymore, but when you flip the image you truly see what you look like and since no ones face is perfectly symmetrical your brain is put off by it. (Already said. Flip a photo and then judge yourself, that's what other people see).

Also... I don't think this has been mentioned a lot when people ask this, but it's really important.

3) The length of the lens can be different than the focal length of your eye. Most phone cameras are in a wider angle than your own eye, which means it distorts features. I've seen tons of people complain about facecam on their Iphone or whatever and low-quality phone photos they got tagged in on Instagram or something for years I've spent in the incel community. While this doesn't fully excuse us looking bad or whatever, it should be known so we can be the most realistic in how we see ourselves and judge from there. A 50 mm is a normal lens, as in the closest thing to human vision. Portrait photography uses 85mm-100mm

Note: As someone mentioned motion does matter as well. Film your posture, how you walk, look wearing something, etc. If you really want to be OCD about how you looksmaxx. You'll realize how many flaws you really have.

Also.. Learn how to take a good selfie. There are a lot of videos on sites like Buzzfeed, etc. on how to take great pictures and even if you hate that kind of thing do it. Social media is going to be essential in the path of lifemaxxing going forward. It's too late to get a head start, but it's not too late to correct it.

Last edited:
  • +1
JFL stop the cope and start the rope

A video of you in the back camera from a distance is 300% how you look like IRL

• +1
1) Mirror / Reflection is 3D. When you flatten it, it'll look different. (This one is the 3rd less important of the 3)

2) You're flipping an image. Your eyes are used to looking at yourself (especially your face) through a mirror or reflection. Imperfections you get used to over time aren't surprising anymore, but when you flip the image you truly see what you look like and since no ones face is perfectly symmetrical your brain is put off by it. (Already said. Flip a photo and then judge yourself, that's what other people see).

Also... I don't think this has been mentioned a lot when people ask this, but it's really important.

3) The length of the lens can be different than the focal length of your eye. Most phone cameras are in a wider angle than your own eye, which means it distorts features. I've seen tons of people complain about facecam on their Iphone or whatever and low-quality phone photos they got tagged in on Instagram or something for years I've spent in the incel community. While this doesn't fully excuse us looking bad or whatever, it should be known so we can be the most realistic in how we see ourselves and judge from there. A 50 mm is a normal lens, as in the closest thing to human vision. Portrait photography uses 85mm-100mm

Note: As someone mentioned motion does matter as well. Film your posture, how you walk, look wearing something, etc. If you really want to be OCD about how you looksmaxx. You'll realize how many flaws you really have.

Also.. Learn how to take a good selfie. There are a lot of videos on sites like Buzzfeed, etc. on how to take great pictures and even if you hate that kind of thing do it. Social media is going to be essential in the path of lifemaxxing going forward. It's too late to get a head start, but it's not too late to correct it.

:soy::soy::soy:

• +1

Thats some maud information there my broski.

• +1
Because smartphone cameras use orb shaped lenses that distort a photo taken unlike in flat lenses like in high end cameras.
On average phones would probably look like 35 or 16 maybe 12 if your too close to the lens.

Also selfie cameras are supposed to show how people see you.
Images

Last edited:
  • +1
Fortunately thanks to the new iPhone camera we don't need to flip pictures anymore