Should I ask for jaw widening bimax?

hansmoleman

hansmoleman

Gold

Attachments

• fb3dd5d4-66b3-48bd-baad-679d3d56dc13.jpeg
    fb3dd5d4-66b3-48bd-baad-679d3d56dc13.jpeg
    46.3 KB · Views: 0
It depends on how small your jaw is since the Advacment it Limited compared to jaw implants

I mean, you could also get BOTH (but then, just bigger implants would be easier, no?). But what would be the pros of “natural” jaw widening?

I mean, you could also get BOTH (but then, just bigger implants would be easier, no?). But what would be the pros of “natural” jaw widening?
pros: cheaper (with the same surgeon), no foreign body in your body, less chance of uncanny results, less chance of masseter dehiscence, less additional chance of infection, less chance of bone resorption, don't have to have a second surgery if you were going that route with implants

some of those are just guesses

pros: cheaper (with the same surgeon), no foreign body in your body, less chance of uncanny results, less chance of masseter dehiscence, less additional chance of infection, less chance of bone resorption, don't have to have a second surgery if you were going that route with implants

some of those are just guesses

Good guesses though, thanks.

I’m also wondering about the sharpness/shape. Idk if you can get sharp angles with an osteotomy

The advantage with bimax jaw widening is that it makes the base (area from the chin to the gonions) wider and encompasses the entire jaw all the way up to the zygos. Generally jaw implants will just simply add additional anterior and lateral projection on the edges of your jaw. My intuition is that in some patients bimax jaw widening might be necessary to set up for a good jaw implant result if you opt to pursue that afterwards, since many poor jaw implant results seem to produce gonions that are too wide for a narrow base; the area between the edges of the lips and the gonions from the front angle also often seems too flat or something. I also suspect jaw widening may actually work against the interest of those who want outward gonions, since it causes the area where the masseters are to protrude laterally more than the gonions itself, which can cause the masseters to cover up more of the gonions from the front angle and produce or exacerbate an "inward gonions" effect. The desire for outward gonions in the abstract might just be a cope, or this might just mean that if you really want that you have to do both bimax widening and jaw implants to avoid looking uncanny. I don't think jaw implants and bimax widening are necessarily comparable procedures, they aim to do different things.

/baseless theories

• +1
Reactions: hansmoleman
The advantage with bimax jaw widening is that it makes the base (area from the chin to the gonions) wider and encompasses the entire jaw all the way up to the zygos. Generally jaw implants will just simply add additional anterior and lateral projection on the edges of your jaw. My intuition is that in some patients bimax jaw widening might be necessary to set up for a good jaw implant result if you opt to pursue that afterwards, since many poor jaw implant results seem to produce gonions that are too wide for a narrow base; the area between the edges of the lips and the gonions from the front angle also often seems too flat or something. I also suspect jaw widening may actually work against the interest of those who want outward gonions, since it causes the area where the masseters are to protrude laterally more than the gonions itself, which can cause the masseters to cover up more of the gonions from the front angle and produce or exacerbate an "inward gonions" effect. The desire for outward gonions in the abstract might just be a cope, or this might just mean that if you really want that you have to do both bimax widening and jaw implants to avoid looking uncanny. I don't think jaw implants and bimax widening are necessarily comparable procedures, they aim to do different things.

/baseless theories
is there evidence behind the claim that jaw widening will promote inward gonions? also, could one get jaw widening and then just get an implant on top to get the outward gonion effect?

is there evidence behind the claim that jaw widening will promote inward gonions? also, could one get jaw widening and then just get an implant on top to get the outward gonion effect?
Both your questions are already answered in my reply

• +1
Reactions: Deleted member 19766

/baseless theories
Hey, I’m soon consulting with a maxfac. What questions would you ask about jaw widening?

Hey, I’m soon consulting with a maxfac. What questions would you ask about jaw widening?
Do you know for sure he does it? Not all do.

Confirmed by email, yes
You may want to ask if he can/should widen the chin as well with the genio, often this is necessary with jaw widening to avoid a blockhead appearancr

You may want to ask if he can/should widen the chin as well with the genio, often this is necessary with jaw widening to avoid a blockhead appearancr

Is widening genio a thing? Someone mentioned it here but have never seen an actual result

Is widening genio a thing? Someone mentioned it here but have never seen an actual result
Yes, im having it done myself with jaw widening
In addition to vertical and anterior projection They do a vertical cut in the chin and move the pieces outward laterally

• +1
I think it can't create the natural big mandible contour you'd want and comes with its own set of risks and limitations.

It's not as simple as "condylar torquing widen jaw and implant widen jaw which one best? :feelsuhh: " things are full of nuance irl.

Also op are you considering surgery fr or is it just masturbation

I think it can't create the natural big mandible contour you'd want and comes with its own set of risks and limitations.

It's not as simple as "condylar torquing widen jaw and implant widen jaw which one best? :feelsuhh: " things are full of nuance irl.

Also op are you considering surgery fr or is it just masturbation

Sure, but same thing, what are these nuances? I want to absorbe all the possible information but I see almost nothing. Lots of info on bimax, almost nothing about widening.

I’m considered it for real. If I was a surgery first candidate I would have already done it, the thing that messes everything up is that I need to figure out what to do with the bite

• +1
Reactions: ccwarrior
Yes, im having it done myself with jaw widening
In addition to vertical and anterior projection They do a vertical cut in the chin and move the pieces outward laterally

Reddit says jaw widening is not safe:

Reddit says jaw widening is not safe:

The top comment on that post is "I have heard..." x2 and then "I recommend," based on these things he has "heard," to do instead, X. Others are "I know a person..."
If the first person wants their comment to hold any water they need to provide a source.

I wouldn't doubt there are additional potential risks, and who knows how much they are in excess of the usual risks associated with bimax, but I think thats a question for the surgeon.

• +1