Should I get extractions for braces, are there alternatives?

ballskin

ballskin

Checkout any time you like.But you can never leave
Dentist said that 2 or 4 extractions of the premolars would be needed, I’m slightly recessed and have an overbite. I asked if that might fuck the face up he said no which is probably a lie.
Is there an alternative, I don’t want 24 teeth Who knows if the jaw will get more recessed or something happens.

Does Invisalign need extractions ?

what is your goal? fixing your bite or bimax?

invisalign would need extractions if normal braces do

There is an alternative where only yourwisdom teeth are removed and a TAD (Temporary anchoring device) is placed in tha back of the jaw. then, all teeth are pulled back towards the screw. this is usually slow, ineffective and expensive, why most orthodondists prefer to remove premolars.

I would strongly advise against removing premolars if you do not intend to have orthognatic surgery afterwads.

• +1
Reactions: Deleted member 8988
what is your goal? fixing your bite or bimax?

invisalign would need extractions if normal braces do

There is an alternative where only yourwisdom teeth are removed and a TAD (Temporary anchoring device) is placed in tha back of the jaw. then, all teeth are pulled back towards the screw. this is usually slow, ineffective and expensive, why most orthodondists prefer to remove premolars.

I would strongly advise against removing premolars if you do not intend to have orthognatic surgery afterwads.
Fixing bite and crooked teeth first I guess

How much mm is the overbite?

Fixing bite and crooked teeth first I guess
you either fix the bite with braces or with surgery. both lead to a fixed bite but inly the latter to a pleasing aetshtetic outcome and a correction of the jaws. you can not fix the teeth and then move the jaws later. after the movement, the teeth would be misplaced again. this means braces are used to misplace the teeth voluntarily in the first place, only to then fix them for good surgically.

How much mm is the overbite?
Not sure but it’s a moderate one
you either fix the bite with braces or with surgery. both lead to a fixed bite but inly the latter to a pleasing aetshtetic outcome and a correction of the jaws. you can not fix the teeth and then move the jaws later. after the movement, the teeth would be misplaced again. this means braces are used to misplace the teeth voluntarily in the first place, only to then fix them for good surgically.
How do the teeth move after the jaw surgery, I don’t understand. Also which surgery would it be, a Genioplasty?

The alternative is to do Orthodontic expansion

• +1
Reactions: ballskin

How do the teeth move after the jaw surgery, I don’t understand. Also which surgery would it be, a Genioplasty?
I'd say just ask him what he thinks about a jaw surgery, with all due respect to people here an orthodontist might have a better answer

• +1
Reactions: ballskin
run, run away fast

the teeth sit in the jaw bone. if the jaw bone is moved forward,k so are the teeth. we are talking about BSSO (lower jaw), LeFort (upper jaw) or both in one (bimax) . In your case probably bimax, altough in some cases of overbtie, bsso only is an option too.

Genioplasty just moves the chin. it would of course NOT move the teeth.