Should you correct an overbite first before getting a palate expander?

Deleted member 9699

Deleted member 9699

skelebro psychopethic MonStEr!
t

• +1
Reactions: Sal
first maxilla, then mandible

• +1
Reactions: SPFromNY914
first maxilla, then mandible
I am fine with my maxilla and mandible. I just want to widen my palate with a normal palate expander for functional reasons (not MSE), but I currently have an overbite which I could correct with braces but I'm not sure if I should correct it first before getting the palate expander.

I am fine with my maxilla and mandible. I just want to widen my palate with a normal palate expander for functional reasons (not MSE), but I currently have an overbite which I could correct with braces but I'm not sure if I should correct it first before getting the palate expander.
How can one correct an overbite with braces? You mean a camouflage retraction treatment?

How can one correct an overbite with braces? You mean a camouflage retraction treatment?
How are overbites corrected then? I don't know much about this stuff lol
All you said is "first maxilla then mandbile", that doesn't make much sense to me tbh

How are overbites corrected then? I don't know much about this stuff lol
All you said is "first maxilla then mandbile", that doesn't make much sense to me tbh
Orthos correct it by extracting teeth to make more space (or you can use the expander) and then they retract the maxilla to make it as shitty as your mandible to reach an "occlusion". The other way of correcting this is a mandibular surgery. Sometimes people need some maxillary surgeries or an expansion too. In those cases they first fix the maxilla then they do the mandible or both at the same time in case of a bimax.

• +1
Reactions: highT
Orthos correct it by extracting teeth to make more space (or you can use the expander) and then they retract the maxilla to make it as shitty as your mandible to reach an "occlusion". The other way of correcting this is a mandibular surgery. Sometimes people need some maxillary surgeries or an expansion too. In those cases they first fix the maxilla then they do the mandible or both at the same time in case of a bimax.
So you reckon I should visit an ortho then?
My mandibular projection is pretty much fine, I don't think I need mandible surgery.

So you reckon I should visit an ortho then?
My mandibular projection is pretty much fine, I don't think I need mandible surgery.
So whats the problem? I'd rather visit a maxfac. Orthos are retards. It's very unlikely for your maxilla to be too far forward. It's your mandible which is too far back.

• +1
Reactions: highT
So whats the problem? I'd rather visit a maxfac. Orthos are retards. It's very unlikely for your maxilla to be too far forward. It's your mandible which is too far back.
My mandible is decently forward projected actually. I don't know, I guess maybe I suck at explaining things to be honest. I've posted a picture of my teeth here and people told me I have an overbite though, and I always felt there was problems with my bite in general so it confirmed my suspicions.

I could send you pictures I suppose.

My mandible is decently forward projected actually. I don't know, I guess maybe I suck at explaining things to be honest. I've posted a picture of my teeth here and people told me I have an overbite though, and I always felt there was problems with my bite in general so it confirmed my suspicions.

I could send you pictures I suppose.
lay down flat on the ground make it so that you don't push your mandible forward though, really flat, take a profile photo like this:

then turn it so it looks like you're standing

then try to find the tip of the nasal bone (it's like a centimetre from the nasion) and draw a straight line down:

(note that the soft tissue is protruding a lot further than the bone)

all three of these points should be touching the line in a completely non recessed (male) person:
(females due to a smaller chin should have the third point at about 5 mm off the line)

the patient above in the first pic got:

Le Fort I:
CCW rotation to bring the first two points in an alignment
6 mm forward movement

BSSO:
8 mm forward movement (it was a female so a male would get more)

Last edited:
  • +1
Reactions: kubo
lay down flat on the ground make it so that you don't push your mandible forward though, really flat, take a profile photo like this:
View attachment 897159

then turn it so it looks like you're standing

then try to find the tip of the nasal bone (it's like a centimetre from the nasion) and draw a straight line down:
View attachment 897167View attachment 897168
(note that the soft tissue is protruding a lot further than the bone)

all three of these points should be touching the line in a completely non recessed (male) person:
(females due to a smaller chin should have the third point at about 5 mm off the line)
View attachment 897171

the patient above in the first pic got:

Le Fort I:
CCW rotation to bring the first two points in an alignment
6 mm forward movement

BSSO:
8 mm forward movement (it was a female so a male would get more)
This is Coceancig's diagram right? Source?

This is Coceancig's diagram right? Source?
Yeah that is a CBCT from a Coceancig's video. I don't know exactly which patient was that but yeah he said himself it's an arbitrary line he made up. His reasoning was that 1) people who reach that line don't look overdone and 2) he's never seen a single person who was forward grown enough to reach that line who has ever had sleep apnea

• +1
Reactions: Ocelot