Skincare I use as someone with acne, moderate eczema, allergies and hyperpigmentation

D

Deleted member 49130

Gold
I only cared about fixing this stuff recently, before I would just scractch and leave scars which has lead to lots of hyperpigmentation etc. This is what I do for my skincare which as helped alot and my symptoms i experience have been reduced greatly. Hopefully this helps other people.

My acne used to cover most of my cheeks, and partially cover my forehead and chin when it was at its worst.
My eczema used to be at moderate with frequent flare ups to severe on my neck, and inner elbows and stay around mild-moderate everywhere else.
After I started researching treatment and applying it, i would currently assess my eczema as being mild with occasional flare ups to moderate currently.

This image shows the grading of eczema.

Products I CURRENTLY USE
(acne) Tretinoin/Clindamycin 0.025% & 1% gel. Used daily at night
(acne + hyperpigmentation) Azelaic acid 15%. Used twice daily on areas of hyperpigmentation. Used once daily to spot treat acne in PM. Will increase to 20% after skin is sensitised. Applied at same time at tretinoin. 20% azelaic acid is as effective as 4% hydroquinone for reducing hyperpigmentation with less side effects and antimicrobial effects as bonus.
(acne) Benzoyl peroxide 5% cream. Use occasioanlly in the morning to spot treat acne. Prevents bacteria developing resistance to clindamycin. Extremly drying. Not used at the same time + same location with tret and azelaic acid
(eczema) Epimax oatmeal cream. This is a cheap option, you may find aveeno or eucerin more usefull. Collidol oats are extremly usefull in repairing the skin barrier. I use this as much as required daily, usually reaching 3x a day on most exposed areas, and 1x on others. This is a mosteiruser, should not be used on face as it contains comodogenic ingrediants
(eczema) E45 Itch relief cream. Contains urea and lauromacrogols. Reduced my steriod use a huge amount. Allows me to tolerate applying emmolients. I use an extremely small amount on the face at night, as despite it being comodogenic, I think it helps.
(eczema) Fusidic Acid/Betamethasone Valerate. A potent steriod combined with an antibiotic. Used rarely and only on small areas.
(eczema) clobetasone. A weaker steriod, not used often.
(general) Aveeno triple oat serum. Currently using on the face 30m after actives are applied and before mosteriusing. Good results
(general) Neutrogena hydrating day/night cream. Has hylaurinc acid Good results, may switch day cream to aveeno soon tho. Do not get the water gel, it has a fragrance.
WHAT I AVOID:
- Anything containing fragrances, bad for sensitive skin
- Sunscreen, I live in the UK and am brown, all the ones I use irritate my skin. If you live somewhere where you actually get sun, you must use it if using tret.
- Glycolic acid: For some reason some "mosteirusers" contain this, destroyed my skin especially as I am using other actives.
- Salicylic acid: Avoid routine use as my skin is dry not oily, this can be usefull sometimes but I generally avoid it now. Will use it occassionaly.
- CLEANSERS: Just cleanse with water, then miscellar water, then water again. If you REALLY need to cleanse, try to do it once a week and use salicylic acid serum, not cream, or something that works for you.
- Regular exfoliation: Just stop

Issues I have run into in the past and mistakes I made and what I do now/would do now:

Antihistamine withdrawl:​
- Symptoms of itching all over body, small under skin raised bumps everywhere
- Can occur by accident, eg taking cough syrup which contains antihistamine for a week then suddently stopping
- Used to treat by applying greasly emmoilets everywhere, this made it much worse and would always lead to me having broken and damaged skin
- What I found works: Applying non-sterioidal itch relief cream ontop eczema prone regions + slowly reducing antihistamine dose over a few days

Overuse of steriods creams (betamethasone, hydrocortisone etc)​
- I used to apply these 2x a day for a week
- This would lead to thinning of the skin and while I was on it my skin would sting, and if scratching that area just abit the skin would start to bleed or break
- Now for itching I try, follow arrow if current fails. Try to force yourself to wait 5min: Apply e45 itch relief cream -> Ice packs/cold compress -> Fucibet once.
- Notice how instead of trying a longer course of weaker steriods I go to 1x application of a potent steriod cream with an antimicrobrial. I have found that application of fucibet every 48-72hrs twice is enough to stop the flare up if caught early. I used to try weaker steriods over longer times, or fucibet daily and they have been less effective/tolerable than this

NOT using antimicrobials after itching has settled:
- Literally use the same products for acne (not retinoids tho) for treating eczema. This is because people with eczema commonly have MRSA/staph colonised which increases itchiness. Beznoyl peroxide and azelaic acid are effective against both. There are prescription medications much more effective however try with OTC meds first.
- Do this after itching has stopped, and after a flare up has settled for about 3 days. Dont do it forever as you want good bacteria to come back.

Using ointments as the only mosteriuser:
- WTF. So much of a difference when i stopped doing this
- why doctors still prescribe this as the only mosteriuser idfk. But I used to attempt to only mosteriuser with emollients, however most of these are primarily occlusives. This is great for using on actively inflammed flared up skin as the only agent, however for daily mosteuirsing this is not the best.
- Now I use a mosteriuser cream first, and if my skin still feels dry THEN i will use an emollient.
Tips:
- Use the most greasy emollient you can tolerate. As in tolerate I mean, you wont start scratching it, there is no reaction and you dont get annoyed by the oily skin. For me using greasy emollients on some places such as my neck cause me to start screacthing the shit of out it till the point it breaks skin. I do not know why this happens.
- A lot of the stuff mentioned here is prescription only medication. Most OTC stuff is cope as the concentration of actives is not high enough to cause an effect. You need to be low inhib and go to doctor.

QUICK REFRANCE GUIDE OF WHAT COMMON PRODUCTS CONTAIN (BOTH PRESCRIPTION AND OTC):

Attachments

• 1705100737243.png
    1705100737243.png
    45.5 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:
  • +1
Reactions: EggKing, Prettyboys_AboveAll, Rasputin and 6 others
Have you seen any improvement in your hyperpigmentation and how much time did ot take to see improvements

Good thread! What are your results so far?

I only cared about fixing this stuff recently, before I would just scractch and leave scars which has lead to lots of hyperpigmentation etc. This is what I do for my skincare which as helped alot and my symptoms i experience have been reduced greatly. Hopefully this helps other people.

My acne used to cover most of my cheeks, and partially cover my forehead and chin when it was at its worst.
My eczema used to be at moderate with frequent flare ups to severe on my neck, and inner elbows and stay around mild-moderate everywhere else.
After I started researching treatment and applying it, i would currently assess my eczema as being mild with occasional flare ups to moderate currently.
View attachment 2671435

Products I CURRENTLY USE
(acne + hyperpigmentation) Azelaic acid 15%. Used twice daily on areas of hyperpigmentation. Used once daily to spot treat acne in PM. Will increase to 20% after skin is sensitised. Applied at same time at tretinoin. 20% azelaic acid is as effective as 4% hydroquinone for reducing hyperpigmentation with less side effects and antimicrobial effects as bonus.
(acne) Benzoyl peroxide 5% cream. Use occasioanlly in the morning to spot treat acne. Prevents bacteria developing resistance to clindamycin. Extremly drying. Not used at the same time + same location with tret and azelaic acid
(eczema) Epimax oatmeal cream. This is a cheap option, you may find aveeno or eucerin more usefull. Collidol oats are extremly usefull in repairing the skin barrier. I use this as much as required daily, usually reaching 3x a day on most exposed areas, and 1x on others. This is a mosteiruser, should not be used on face as it contains comodogenic ingrediants
(eczema) E45 Itch relief cream. Contains urea and lauromacrogols. Reduced my steriod use a huge amount. Allows me to tolerate applying emmolients. I use an extremely small amount on the face at night, as despite it being comodogenic, I think it helps.
(eczema) Fusidic Acid/Betamethasone Valerate. A potent steriod combined with an antibiotic. Used rarely and only on small areas.
(general) Aveeno triple oat serum. Currently using on the face 30m after actives are applied and before mosteriusing. Good results
(general) Neutrogena hydrating day/night cream. Has hylaurinc acid Good results, may switch day cream to aveeno soon tho. Do not get the water gel, it has a fragrance.
WHAT I AVOID:
- Sunscreen, I live in the UK and am brown, all the ones I use irritate my skin. If you live somewhere where you actually get sun, you must use it if using tret.
- Glycolic acid: For some reason some "mosteirusers" contain this, destroyed my skin especially as I am using other actives.
- Salicylic acid: Avoid routine use as my skin is dry not oily, this can be usefull sometimes but I generally avoid it now. Will use it occassionaly.
- CLEANSERS: Just cleanse with water, then miscellar water, then water again. If you REALLY need to cleanse, try to do it once a week and use salicylic acid serum, not cream, or something that works for you.

Issues I have run into in the past and mistakes I made and what I do now/would do now:

- Can occur by accident, eg taking cough syrup which contains antihistamine for a week then suddently stopping
- Used to treat by applying greasly emmoilets everywhere, this made it much worse and would always lead to me having broken and damaged skin
- What I found works: Applying non-sterioidal itch relief cream ontop eczema prone regions + slowly reducing antihistamine dose over a few days

- This would lead to thinning of the skin and while I was on it my skin would sting, and if scratching that area just abit the skin would start to bleed or break
- Now for itching I try, follow arrow if current fails. Try to force yourself to wait 5min: Apply e45 itch relief cream -> Ice packs/cold compress -> Fucibet once.
- Notice how instead of trying a longer course of weaker steriods I go to 1x application of a potent steriod cream with an antimicrobrial. I have found that application of fucibet every 48-72hrs twice is enough to stop the flare up if caught early. I used to try weaker steriods over longer times, or fucibet daily and they have been less effective/tolerable than this

- Literally use the same products for acne (not retinoids tho) for treating eczema. This is because people with eczema commonly have MRSA/staph colonised which increases itchiness. Beznoyl peroxide and azelaic acid are effective against both. There are prescription medications much more effective however try with OTC meds first.
- Do this after itching has stopped, and after a flare up has settled for about 3 days. Dont do it forever as you want good bacteria to come back.

- why doctors still prescribe this as the only mosteriuser idfk. But I used to attempt to only mosteriuser with emollients, however most of these are primarily occlusives. This is great for using on actively inflammed flared up skin as the only agent, however for daily mosteuirsing this is not the best.
- Now I use a mosteriuser cream first, and if my skin still feels dry THEN i will use an emollient.
Tips:
- Use the most greasy emollient you can tolerate. As in tolerate I mean, you wont start scratching it, there is no reaction and you dont get annoyed by the oily skin. For me using greasy emollients on some places such as my neck cause me to start screacthing the shit of out it till the point it breaks skin. I do not know why this happens.
- A lot of the stuff mentioned here is prescription only medication. Most OTC stuff is cope as the concentration of actives is not high enough to cause an effect. You need to be low inhib and go to doctor.
View attachment 2671453
QUICK REFRANCE GUIDE OF WHAT COMMON PRODUCTS CONTAIN (BOTH PRESCRIPTION AND OTC):
View attachment 2671457
Why is cleansing bad?
Also do you think using azelaic acid as a teen is bad since it reduces DHT?
I recommend you megadose vitamin b5 for acne, one study showed a 66% decrease in acne after 12 weeks (2.2g of b5)
This got rid of my acne but now i have PIE (i think you are mistaking PIE and hyperpigmentation in your thread) but you have to take other things with it since megadosing b5 can make your hair start thinning

Why is cleansing bad?
Also do you think using azelaic acid as a teen is bad since it reduces DHT?
I recommend you megadose vitamin b5 for acne, one study showed a 66% decrease in acne after 12 weeks (2.2g of b5)
This got rid of my acne but now i have PIE (i think you are mistaking PIE and hyperpigmentation in your thread) but you have to take other things with it since megadosing b5 can make your hair start thinning
Cleansing disrupts the natural barrier and removes oils from your skin. If you have significant acne on top of eczema prone skin you may have to cleanse but dont do it daily.

You can daily cleanse with something like cold water then miscellar water then a benxoyl peroxide face wash then water again. for the azelaic acid question, it is worth it if you have hyperpigmentation. If there was a significant risk of dht blocking it would be more known.

Also I did not confuse PIE with PIH in the post, PIH presents with darkend regions of the skin whereas PIE presents with red marks and flushing. There is not much you can do for PIE compared to PIH.

Have you seen any improvement in your hyperpigmentation and how much time did ot take to see improvements
Good thread! What are your results so far?
Eczema improved, acne is slowly going away too. Hyperpigmentation has improved but will take about another month to go away completly.

• Love it
Reactions: Rasputin
Q: How to apply tret?
Q2: Opinion on Dermastamp for acne scars, what serum to use in combination?
Q3: Where did you buy Azelaic acid? I use silicone gel (Dermatix), do you think yours is better?

Q: How to apply tret?
Q2: Opinion on Dermastamp for acne scars, what serum to use in combination?
Q3: Where did you buy Azelaic acid? I use silicone gel (Dermatix), do you think yours is better?
1) Use a pea sized amount for each cheek, and half a pea for the chin. This more than typically said (one pea sized amount for entire face) however when using concentration 0.025% i have found this amount has worked very well for me.
More considerations:
- Do not combine with benzoyl peroxide, benzyol peroxide inactivates tretinoin
- Do not apply on damp skin
- Do not apply anything else before or until 1 hour after, if your skin really cant handle it using a simple mosteriuser before and after. You can only combine Tretinoin with the following: Azelaic acid, Clindamycin/Eryhtomycin, Hydroquinone, salicylic acid(not reccomended).This is my routine:

Water -> mild salicylic acid cleanser (if pores clogged) -> miscellar water cleanse -> water cleanse -> pat dry face -> Azelaic acid onto areas of hyperpigmentation -> Tretinoin applied everywhere on face -> Azelaic acid spot treatment on areas where acne has gone red (lower amount of cream than for areas with hyperpigmentation) -> Wait 1 hour -> Hylaronic acid serum -> Oat serum -> Night cream.

You can cut out some stuff that you dont want to do but thats generally what I do, the oat serum must be applied very fast after hylauronic acid serum applied, as you will be using hylauronic acid on dry skin which can cause it to pull mosteriur out of the deeper regions of the skin.

2) I wouldn't do microneedling at home, i would only go to dermatologist for it as the chance of infection is high. Instead, I would wait a few months for tretinoin and azelaic acid to work (4 months of daily use), if that fails chemical peels can usually get scars. But this is more of a personal choice

3) I asked my doctor for it as the strength I am using is prescription strength only in my country. Unforunatly my gel has other ingrediants added so if yours looks clear it is probably better.

• Love it
  • +1
Reactions: Napoleon1800 and depressionmaxxing
I hope you've received good results so far as I use tretinoin and all from skinorac for my skincare routine and it works great.

• +1
Reactions: Deleted member 49130

View attachment 2671435

Products I CURRENTLY USE
WHAT I AVOID:

Tips:
View attachment 2671453
View attachment 2671457
why not cleanse

c

View attachment 2671435

Products I CURRENTLY USE
WHAT I AVOID:

Tips:
View attachment 2671453
View attachment 2671457
can I pm you?

will the steroid cream withdrawal happen for something as mild as hydrocortisone 2.5%? i use a very tiny amount on my shoulder and neck but its a really small spot, im concerned because it does get worse if i don't use it and i tend to use it once a day (at night), and will it spread and get severe if i stop using it? what should i do to prevent withdrawal

1) Use a pea sized amount for each cheek, and half a pea for the chin. This more than typically said (one pea sized amount for entire face) however when using concentration 0.025% i have found this amount has worked very well for me.
More considerations:
- Do not combine with benzoyl peroxide, benzyol peroxide inactivates tretinoin
- Do not apply on damp skin
- Do not apply anything else before or until 1 hour after, if your skin really cant handle it using a simple mosteriuser before and after. You can only combine Tretinoin with the following: Azelaic acid, Clindamycin/Eryhtomycin, Hydroquinone, salicylic acid(not reccomended).This is my routine:

Water -> mild salicylic acid cleanser (if pores clogged) -> miscellar water cleanse -> water cleanse -> pat dry face -> Azelaic acid onto areas of hyperpigmentation -> Tretinoin applied everywhere on face -> Azelaic acid spot treatment on areas where acne has gone red (lower amount of cream than for areas with hyperpigmentation) -> Wait 1 hour -> Hylaronic acid serum -> Oat serum -> Night cream.

You can cut out some stuff that you dont want to do but thats generally what I do, the oat serum must be applied very fast after hylauronic acid serum applied, as you will be using hylauronic acid on dry skin which can cause it to pull mosteriur out of the deeper regions of the skin.

2) I wouldn't do microneedling at home, i would only go to dermatologist for it as the chance of infection is high. Instead, I would wait a few months for tretinoin and azelaic acid to work (4 months of daily use), if that fails chemical peels can usually get scars. But this is more of a personal choice

3) I asked my doctor for it as the strength I am using is prescription strength only in my country. Unforunatly my gel has other ingrediants added so if yours looks clear it is probably better.
Do you think Niacin would work well with tret and azelaic acid