Skinny fat (fat belly): lose fat first or build muscles first?

R

Red Fox

The fox has many tricks.
Skinny. But fat belly visible when no shirt on. I also have very skinny forearms

I have good equipment at home.

Last edited:
  • +1
Reactions: Deleted member 28896
15-20% bf - lean bulk
20-25% - recomp (0-200 cal deficit)

• +1
Reactions: PseudoMaxxer, Cliff_Lee, T50 Mogger and 1 other person
just know that if you have 0 muscle you'll need to be at least slightly underweight to be actually lean. that said what i did was 300kcal deficit while lifting and getting enough protein. keep in mind i have do you even lift body and am prettyboymaxxed. i'd forget muscle tbh

• +1
Reactions: T50 Mogger and Red Fox
Skinny. But fat belly visible when no shirt on. I also have very skinny forearms

I have good equipment at home.
You cannot change your karyotype, broski.

Skinny fat is caused by shit diet and lack of strength training. Simply eat more Protein and cut out all junk food which is a common trait in skinny fat individuals, being protein deficient and consuming large amounts of high carbed junk foods. Do this while u do strength training whether it be at a Jim or even at home. I used to be skinny fat

• +1
Reactions: bradpittshairline, T50 Mogger, JohnBaza and 1 other person
thx but I don’t understand this part

this me but no tattoos and uglier

• Woah
Reactions: Red Fox
bulk build muscle because otherwise you will just get smaller

• +1
cut until lean then bulk.

• +1
Reactions: Yerico7 and Red Fox
Skinny fat is caused by shit diet and lack of strength training. Simply eat more Protein and cut out all junk food which is a common trait in skinny fat individuals, being protein deficient and consuming large amounts of high carbed junk foods. Do this while u do strength training whether it be at a Jim or even at home. I used to be skinny fat
Is a calory deficit while eating protein and no junk food good?

I'd do what one of the posters said and lean bulk for sure. So only a couple of hundred cals above maintenance - use an app like cronometer to track

This is my goal. I have his muscle mass and proportions but less lean

Do I incorporate more cardio?

Don't wanna eat less and lose strength and muscle
are you on caloric surplus at the moment? like tell me more about your current state. i just did deficit forever, got a small body recomp even on deficit because i was high bf + got newbie gains (all you need to have a body like vinniehacker to be honest, assuming your frame genetics are average or above)

Last edited:
Lose fat till you're 6 pack lean, don't even think about lifting till you're at a lean base

• +1
Reactions: fl0w
are you on caloric surplus at the moment? like tell me more about your current state. i just did deficit forever, got a small body recomp even on deficit because i was high bf + got newbie gains (all you need to have a body like vinniehacker to be honest, assuming your frame genetics are average or above)
Yes, I'm on a small caloric surplus of about 150-200 cals over. Trying to lean bulk and keep my weight increase per week pretty tight

I'm probably around 16-18% bf with some muscle mass, based on working out a year ago, therefore now I'm experiencing some newbie gains/ muscle memory. Frame and insertions are approx those of hacker

What do you think I should do? Do I mild deficit? How much of a deficit?

Cheers

Yes, I'm on a small caloric surplus of about 150-200 cals over. Trying to lean bulk and keep my weight increase per week pretty tight

I'm probably around 16-18% bf with some muscle mass, based on working out a year ago, therefore now I'm experiencing some newbie gains/ muscle memory. Frame and insertions are approx those of hacker

What do you think I should do? Do I mild deficit? How much of a deficit?

Cheers
if you have some bone structure dropping from 17% to 13% is life changer. I would do the exact same I did and still do, 400/500 kcal of cardio a day (1 hour running/walking). also, do a 300kcal deficit.

first get yourself completely lean, so you can see how you actually look. trust me, if your face change significantly (and it most likely will) and you start to receive positive reinforcement you'll probably forget completely about muscle.

the thing is muscle helps so you can eat more and not be miserable forever. after you get to 13/12/11 bf% going under is pointless for most people.

tldr: do a sustainable calorie deficit (300kcal is the magic number for the average person) with cardio + some strenght training just to keep muscle until 12% bf and after this you decide if you need a bulk.

Last edited:
  • +1
Reactions: fl0w and Cliff_Lee
if you have some bone structure dropping from 17% to 13% is life changer. I would do the exact same I did and still do, 400/500 kcal of cardio a day (1 hour running/walking). also, do a 300kcal deficit.

first get yourself completely lean, so you can see how you actually look. trust me, if your face change significantly (and it most likely will) and you start to receive positive reinforcement you'll probably forget completely about muscle.

the thing is muscle helps so you can eat more and not be miserable forever. after you get to 13/12/11 bf% going under is pointless for most people.

tldr: do a sustainable calorie deficit (300kcal is the magic number for the average person) with cardio + some strenght training just to keep muscle until 12% bf and after this you decide if you need a bulk.
Thanks for the detail!

I will give this a shot to the end of the year and see how things play out

My cardio portion is poor - only do 2/3x a week at best and only like 20mins HIT session. I'll increase this

Do a steep 1 month cut by subtracting like 600 calories until your face gets noticeably leaner and people start to call you skinny. Become sub 15 percent bf basically.

Then, lean bulk for 3 months, cut for 1-1.5 months and repeat.

This is only if you dont want to look fat or bloated for a whole year and get no bitches. It is not optimal for muscle growth

• +1
Reactions: Red Fox, Cliff_Lee and fl0w
What's considered plenty of protein?

I'm doing 0.82g of protein per pound of bodyweight. There's multiple sources and they quote different quantities.

I don't want to go overboard either, as an extremely high protein diet is bad for you and will prematurely age you.

At a macro level, I'm doing 20/50/30 (Protein/Carbs/Fat)

Yea. Make sure to eat plenty of protein
Alr I eat 1500 calories a day and I am 74 kg and 180 cm while being 17. Is that a good calorie deficit you think?

Alr I eat 1500 calories a day and I am 74 kg and 180 cm while being 17. Is that a good calorie deficit you think?
It’s Low enough, if u workout u might also wanna weigh that in.

It’s Low enough, if u workout u might also wanna weigh that in.
I dont workout a lot because of lack of time because of work and school. But is 1500 calories on the higher end or lower end. If it is on the higher end I am willing to lower it

This seems too low.

Are you plugging this info into an app? It will calc your maintenance level and you can even add goal weights

I use cronometer

lift + cut, then clean bulk, the. cut till your at the lowest weight that has your face looking good and is maintainable, then liposuction

• +1
lift + cut, then clean bulk, the. cut till your at the lowest weight that has your face looking good and is maintainable, then liposuction
I regret not getting lipo when i went in for facial fat transfer surgery

They offered it to me when i went for in-person consultation and offered a discount as i already paid for hospital stay and equipment etc and the surgery is only 1 hr but i declined, like an idiot

I always have some fat around my midsection if when <15% bf. My face and all other muscle groups are lean af at that %

I regret not getting lipo when i went in for facial fat transfer surgery

They offered it to me when i went for in-person consultation and offered a discount as i already paid for hospital stay and equipment etc and the surgery is only 1 hr but i declined, like an idiot

I always have some fat around my midsection if when <15% bf. My face and all other muscle groups are lean af at that %
Why not get fillers? I saw some good results

I kind of have a strange face/skull shape especially jaw (not recessed) and mid face

Why not get fillers? I saw some good results
Fillers can be good but you have to be careful

A lot of providers dont understand what they're doing plus you can look overfilled

Fat transfer looks natural and is permanent

Fillers can also migrate and can age you poorly if you use them a lot over a number of years

Also, it depends what you're trying to address. If you want to fill areas where fat has naturally depleted (temples, midface, undereye) then fat transfer is best imo - but if you want to mimic bone, then for sure opt for fillers

• Woah
Fillers can be good but you have to be careful

A lot of providers dont understand what they're doing plus you can look overfilled

Fat transfer looks natural and is permanent

Fillers can also migrate and can age you poorly if you use them a lot over a number of years

Also, it depends what you're trying to address. If you want to fill areas where fat has naturally depleted (temples, midface, undereye) then fat transfer is best imo - but if you want to mimic bone, then for sure opt for fillers
ok wow I see, thanks for this info man!

• +1
Reactions: Cliff_Lee
This seems too low.

Are you plugging this info into an app? It will calc your maintenance level and you can even add goal weights

I use cronometer
I want fast results thats why. I tried 900 calories once but it was too low but I think 1500 is good. I was eating 1500 for two weeks and lost 6 kg (most prob water weight). Then I had exams and ate a lot to cope with the stress but now my exams are over I want to stay disciplined

• +1
Reactions: Cliff_Lee