Social anxiety and exposure therapy

AlexAP

AlexAP

Kraken
I read this post by Robert Hanania and he said some interesting things.
He was a PUA in his past, but that's not the point. The point was that he had social anxiety and instead of talking about his past and taking pills, he just did "exposure therapy", meaning his PUA stuff. PUA was literally a cure for his social anxiety.

Here a good analogy from him:
One overcomes social anxiety in the same way one overcomes a fear of flying. Understand that your fear is irrational, don’t make excuses for or indulge in it, and then just practice the thing that makes you nervous. Eventually, it gets through even the thickest skull that nothing bad is going to happen as a result of flying on an airplane. This is the idea behind “exposure therapy,” which the PUAs seem to have independently discovered on their own.

If we told people that fear of flying was something everyone struggles with, that it was the result of what others have done to them, or structural racism or whatever, I’m sure we’d get more of it. Imagine further if TV, music, and movies taught kids that fear of flying made them deep and interesting, and schools and universities had fear of flying awareness weeks. This is pretty much the modern approach to mental illness.
On Twitter he said that talking about mental illnesses creates them. I guess he's right to an extent.

Just to know: He doesn't say your state of mind doesn't matter. He says that feeling anxious is not a mental illness and it can be overcome with exposure therapy and you don't need to talk to a therapist or take pills before doing it. In short, you don't need to have a good mental health in order to try and achieve difficult things. What do you think?

Last edited:
  • +1
  • Love it
Reactions: Deleted member 21146, thereallegend, ChristianChad and 1 other person
His posts about Ukraine are BS. Dunno about this.

If you think mental health is cope you probably never experienced any true mentally related stuff

• +1
  • So Sad
Reactions: BigJimsWornOutTires, Deleted member 19174 and Wallenberg
If you think mental health is cope you probably never experienced any true mentally related stuff
What Hanania meant is that he disagrees on how to solve these mental issues.
Modern western psychology says mental issues are an illness and the cure is you have to talk about it and take pills. He says you need to do exposure therapy.

• +1
Reactions: alriodai
What Hanania meant is that he disagrees on how to solve these mental issues.
Modern western psychology says mental issues are an illness and the cure is you have to talk about it and take pills. He says you need to do exposure therapy.

@AlexAP Nigga in your OP thread just was scared to talk to bitches and was socially awkward, this shit not really a mental health problem, just lol if you think social anxiety cause of girls is a true mental disorder, it's super easy to fix

Compared to me, I'm truly bipolar and be having mood swings and sometimes hearing some shits in my head that be getting me violent, I can't even talk about it to anyone cause they'ill think I'm joking typa shit, It's fucked up shit, I need help but can't get it or talk to anyone
Therapy is key

• +1
  • So Sad
Reactions: n0rthface, BigJimsWornOutTires and AlexAP
Compared to me, I'm truly bipolar and be having mood swings and sometimes hearing some shits in my head that be getting me violent, I can't even talk about it to anyone cause they'ill think I'm joking typa shit, It's fucked up shit, I need help but can't get it or talk to anyone
Therapy is key
Damn, I'm sorry.

Is there no one you can talk about it where you live? Are there some people specialized with helping bipolar persons?

• +1
Reactions: alriodai
Damn, I'm sorry.

Is there no one you can talk about it where you live? Are there some people specialized with helping bipolar persons?
I live in a hyper masculine country where they mock everything and think a man should be strong blabla shit like this. That's why I'm so strong on the anti-bigot shit and leftist. Conservartive and mostly right wing faggots think Depression isn't even real JFL

I'll probably overcome shit like this (hoping I do), but it's no joke, social anxiety isn't comparable to that shit.

• +1
Reactions: Elvisandreaa, n0rthface, ChristianChad and 2 others
I live in a hyper masculine country where they mock everything and think a man should be strong blabla shit like this. That's why I'm so strong on the anti-bigot shit and leftist
I fully agree with you on this, I hate all this Alpha, Macho, Redpill-bullshit. Men should be allowed to show vulnerability.

• +1
Reactions: n0rthface and alriodai
Exposure therapy doesn't work. My social interactions only get worse and worse. I've suffered so much trying to socialize with people. If exposure therapy worked I would be an NT machine by now.

• +1
  • So Sad
Reactions: Marioo, thereallegend, ChristianChad and 1 other person
I fully agree with you on this, I hate all this Alpha, Macho, Redpill-bullshit. Men should be allowed to show vulnerability.
Theses guys are just insecure in their masculinity and in their overrall life so they try to come off as theses "alpha lone wolf"
In reality they're scared faggots trying to get validation.
Woman been hip to them, that's why they make fun of them.
Exposure therapy doesn't work. My social interactions only get worse and worse. I've suffered so much trying to socialize with people. If exposure therapy worked I would be an NT machine by now.
Yup facts. It's deeper than that, it's childhood trauma and more to that tbh

• +1
  • Woah
  • So Sad
Reactions: BigJimsWornOutTires, AlexAP and apocalypse
I'll probably overcome shit like this (hoping I do), but it's no joke, social anxiety isn't comparable to that shit.
I changed the OP title to "Social anxiety and exposure therapy", it captures better what the guy said.

I changed the OP title to "Social anxiety and exposure therapy", it captures better what the guy said.
I'm not denying social anxiety is a mental problem. It is and it' simportant

But that dude seems like he was just scared of talking to girls that's all. It's natural and normal

• +1
Reactions: BigJimsWornOutTires
I'm not denying social anxiety is a mental problem. It is and it' simportant

But that dude seems like he was just scared of talking to girls that's all. It's natural and normal
I guess the thing wiht him is that he says he was in the top 5% of most anxious people, he had no friends, no social life, and he went to rise to the top 5% of confindent people with low-inhibition. He had a great ascension with his "exposure therapy".

The use of exposure therapy to treat those diagnosed with anxiety disorders is frequent, but they're often ineffective as a standalone hence drugs are often us as add-on treatments. Nevertheless, it's a helpful tool to get over your fears.

• WTF
  • +1
Reactions: thereallegend and ChristianChad
Vorinostat should be taken when facing your deepest fears

I live in a hyper masculine country where they mock everything and think a man should be strong blabla shit like this. That's why I'm so strong on the anti-bigot shit and leftist. Conservartive and mostly right wing faggots think Depression isn't even real JFL

Which country?

The use of exposure therapy to treat those diagnosed with anxiety disorders is frequent, but they're often ineffective as a standalone hence drugs are often us as add-on treatments. Nevertheless, it's a helpful tool to get over your fears.
Weird I have a bias that's it's the opposite. Too many drugs and psychologists and all this shit which makes you dwell in your fears.

• +1
Reactions: Lawton88 and Alexanderr
Weird I have a bias that's it's the opposite. Too many drugs and psychologists and all this shit which makes you dwell in your fears.
Not all drugs have favorable outcomes for everyone, lots of people do not benefit at all but experience terrible side effects. Nevertheless, some are genuinely helpful to a lot of people.

• +1
Reactions: ChristianChad
My social anxiety went less as my apperance improved also because people treat you diffetent the better you look

Not all drugs have favorable outcomes for everyone, lots of people do not benefit at all but experience terrible side effects. Nevertheless, some are genuinely helpful to a lot of people.
(y) very nice blanket statement mister @Alexanderr , +20 Reddit karma:soy::soy:

it's hard to get peple to admit they're just weak pussies. they'll just go muh muh muh brain chemistry

I read this post by Robert Hanania and he said some interesting things.
He was a PUA in his past, but that's not the point. The point was that he had social anxiety and instead of talking about his past and taking pills, he just did "exposure therapy", meaning his PUA stuff. PUA was literally a cure for his social anxiety.

Here a good analogy from him:

On Twitter he said that talking about mental illnesses creates them. I guess he's right to an extent.

Just to know: He doesn't say your state of mind doesn't matter. He says that feeling anxious is not a mental illness and it can be overcome with exposure therapy and you don't need to talk to a therapist or take pills before doing it. In short, you don't need to have a good mental health in order to try and achieve difficult things. What do you think?

Yeah exposure therapy is one of the only things that works in the short term. You would be surprised how fast you can get numb to certain stressers. Just having a cashier job can do wonders.

But the issue is this still does not often fix the root issue and in a few months away from constant interaction you will be socially anxious again. I think the best way to do it is to develop will power and force yourself to push through discomfort

• +1
Reactions: n0rthface and AlexAP
True that brother, come and give me a hug
Season 5 Hug GIF by The Office

• +1
Reactions: AlexAP