Software engineering is the best career

I might actually make a separate, more detailed thread on this since this forum is filled with literal children and they really need to hear this advice.
Even if you don't get a high GPA, you can always go to a Caribbean or other sketchy overseas medical school. Couldn't agree more. I have a comp sci degree from a top 50 school and only jobs I can get are shitty ones. I'm probably going to work for a year and make $75k for surgeries then go to law school and succeed as a Chad lawyer.

• +1
  • JFL
Reactions: Chadelite, Deleted member 8765, Slayer and 1 other person
Software engineers are very common where I live. They all make about twice as much the average person their age but they are all the definition of incel

• +1
  • Love it
Reactions: Chadelite and qwertyasdfgh
This is obviously US focused, but still. Anyone can move here if they have decent experience and some connections. There are tons of foreigners making it big here.

You go through a 3-4 year university degree (maybe a masters degree if you're foreign), with the opportunity of internships which pay $7k+USD/month.

Once you graduate, you have companies willing to pay you $150k-200k USD out of college, and which easily climbs up to $300k-350k in a few years. If you want to put in the extra effort you can get that up to $500k in a few more years.
Perks are amazing (free breakfast/lunch/dinner, free health insurance, shuttles bringing you to/from work) and you can easily find a team where you only need to work ~40 hours or less. Can retire by the age of 40 if you wanted to and still live a very luxurious life.

I ended up in this position partly by chance, and I am so grateful.

Anyone already in or trying to go into software engineering?
Anyone think there is a better career out there?
I did a 6 month bootcamp last year and have been working as a software developer the past 9 months fullstack in C# and javascript.
I was above average in the bootcamp, but I wasn't the smartest or anything - I think they key was to also be really focused on landing jobs, interviewing etc. This is legit. Some industries are stressful, low paid, long hours etc. Being a software dev is a walk in the park comparatively - high pay, low stress, decent. hours, theres even potential to work remotely.

Maybe theres a better career for people who are into different things. But if you like computers and solving problems... Highly recommend.

Also the $300k a year salary will depend where you live: living expenses will be higher etc. You probably wont get that outside silicon valley. But as a general rule software devs are paid very well.

Last edited:
  • +1
  • Love it
Reactions: ChadFucksYourOneitis and qwertyasdfgh
Expect it sometime after Wednesday next week, DM if I forget.
Even if you don't get a high GPA, you can always go to a Caribbean or other sketchy overseas medical school. Couldn't agree more. I have a comp sci degree from a top 50 school and only jobs I can get are shitty ones. I'm probably going to work for a year and make $75k for surgeries then go to law school and succeed as a Chad lawyer.
You're looking into IP law I'm guessing? It's one of the best ways to leverage a science-based degree into a seriously lucrative career. Maybe I need to make another thread about this as well.

• +1
Reactions: Chadelite and PubertyMaxxer
Expect it sometime after Wednesday next week, DM if I forget.

You're looking into IP law I'm guessing? It's one of the best ways to leverage a science-based degree into a seriously lucrative career. Maybe I need to make another thread about this as well.
Yes, intellectual property. Mostly doing it to protect myself from legal fees.

Computer science and anything to do with computers is such truecel trait

ye
my first real non internship/non coop full time job I was grinding ~8-12 hours a day though for a year
now that I've gotten good at what I do, I'm at a better company and spread work that should take me 4 hours to do to keep me "busy" for a week

the 150k-200k figure is for the top 10% of graduates when it comes to skill/aptitude to learn lol and most of those people have really good internships, most people don't get that much even as a senior salary
It’s true SEs will make money but I hate the retarded claim that SE or CS is some kind of get rich fast degree after graduating when it’s already becoming saturated

• +1
Reactions: sytyl
All throughout my life I've barely scraped by, putting in the least amount of work required to get to the next step. Average grades from elementary school up until and including college. And yet I've managed to make that jump from mediocrity to top paying software engineering job, simply because I grinded leetcode for a few months, got a few referrals to top companies, and passed the interviews. I also went to school in Canada, which put me at a disadvantage to Americans since I required a visa. If I can do it, anyone can.

I would have never made it into medicine, nor would I want to spend all of those extra years in college just to make a similar amount of money.

I'd also guess that people frequenting these forums are leaning towards introverted, and more likely to be happier in software engineering than medicine.
You made a great decision moving from Canada to the US. Many shitty paying software dev jobs here

• +1
Reactions: qwertyasdfgh and sytyl
You made a great decision moving from Canada to the US. Many shitty paying software dev jobs here
Yup, I feel you. I discovered r/cscareerquestions while looking for an internship, discovered how much top US companies paid, and things were never the same. All I saw was 🤑🤑🤑

It’s true SEs will make money but I hate the retarded claim that SE or CS is some kind of get rich fast degree after graduating when it’s already becoming saturated
Well once you get your foot in the door at these big companies, you're good to go. I'm betting I'll be able to get interviews pretty much anywhere I want now. Most people just aren't aware of the possibilities, or don't want to put in the initial effort.

• +1
Reactions: Deleted member 6191
I might actually make a separate, more detailed thread on this since this forum is filled with literal children and they really need to hear this advice.
Did you already?