The Definitive Guide To Leanmaxing/Fat Loss

Introduction-
As we all know leanmaxing is one of the very few softmax methods that will significantly raise your psl but there's way too much inaccuracy and misinformation on this site and others about how to do this optimally whilst ensuring you don't ruin your metabolism, lose lean tissue and waste valuable time that could be spent looksmaxing on fad diets that end up becoming a looksmin. In this guide I will outline the fundamentals of fat loss, the science behind the small details as well as other little methods that will help you to optimally leanmax after you get to the golden range of 12-10%. Being high body fat 25%+ is a complete looksmin that lowers testosterone levels, causes skin issues like acne and hides your potential bone structure. Remember if you're not leanmaxing you're not looksmaxing.

742280B6 A642 4C86 B028 B9AC27DE0D82
C5089FD2 CCFB 4DBD B6A4 043D0DCEB456

CICO (Calories in calories out)-
This is the base rule of fat loss, calories in, calories out. Your body requires a certain number of calories (maintenance calories) to maintain its current weight, if you eat significantly more/less calories than your maintenance calories you will gain/lose weight. This number is comprised of your BMR (basal metabolic rate) (the calories your body burns doing nothing) multiplied by your activity multiplier (the calories your body burns while active). As a general rule of thumb you want to subtract 500 calories from your maintenance calories. This is because there are 3500 calories in 1lb/0.5kg of fat, therefore consuming 500 calories below your maintenance calories ensures you lose at least 1lb/0.5kg per week from solely dieting (500x7=3500). You can increase or decrease this deficit depending on how fast you want to lose weight and what your current weight is as well as doing exercise. To find out your maintenance calories you can use this online calculator to estimate your maintenance calories. Maintenance Calculator (you may have to +/- calories as its not an exact science)

Preserving Lean Tissue-
CICO essentially means that you can eat whatever you want as long as it is below your maintenance calories and still lose weight but not all of it is just fat if you do this. Which is how people use this method and then become fat again from eating low volume high calorie foods (fast food) or extremely skinny because they don't get enough protein and micronutrients and end up looking like this by losing all their muscle mass/lean tissue.
0A5B0312 800C 4E62 8EE0 2FAE6116F92C

In order to preserve lean tissue, clinical data provided by Eric Helms et al shows that losing more than 1% of your weight significantly increases your risk of losing muscle. For example a 200lbs/91kg male should not lose more than 2lbs/1kg per week in order to retain lean tissue optimally likewise a 300lbs/136kg male should aim to lose a maximum of 3lbs/1.3kg. That being said the higher in body fat you are the less risk there is of losing muscle when dieting aggressively and vice versa with people with lower levels of body fat which is why you should slow down when reaching 20% body fat. Dieting with high deficits however like 800cals or above is a one way stop to ruining your metabolism and in conjunction your leanmaxing journey. The metabolism eventually adjusts to a point where the calories you're eating to lose weight become the calories needed to maintain your weight which is why once you stop losing weight on those calories you decrease them per usual. However if you decrease your calories significantly each time what ends up happening is you'll have to diet on 1200 calories (example) just to lose weight while the person who kept their deficit at a modest 500 calories and slowly decreased is dieting and losing weight on double that. There is one brutal truth to metabolism that depends on genetics which is that the metabolism of some people is higher than others due to genetics and other factors. So one person could be eating 3000 calories and still lose the same amount of weight as someone on 2200 calories or lower. Welcome to the Blackpill.

The next step to ensure muscle retention is to eat adequate protein. Protein comes in many forms as seen on this list however the amount you need depends on both your current bodyweight and your body fat. The general consensus is 1g per pound of bodyweight or 2.2g per kilo of bodyweight, data once again provided by Eric Helms et al shows that eating more protein than this creates an effect of "diminishing returns" in terms of preserving muscle however an increase may improve satiety.
716B506E 7C7E 4E55 B746 C533581BD466

But an overdose of protein can be harmful to your kidney health so use adequately. Consuming protein like this must also be done consistently to ensure results, there's little point in adhering strictly in the week to blow it all off and eat junk on the weekend and then rinse and repeat. Protein is king when it comes to preserving muscle mass and carbs and fats whilst important play second fiddle to protein. The priority when setting your nutrient ratios and distributing your calories should be Protein>Fats>Carbs. Protein first to preserve muscle and provide energy, fats second to regulate hormones and t-levels and carbs last to provide glycogen and energy to the muscles. A typical ratio is 25% protein, 25% fat and 50% carbs or you can switch carbs and fat percentages depending on your preference and anecdotal results. That being said there is a problem I've found with the above equation which is that its not suitable if you are especially overweight at 270lbs/122kg+. Eating 270g of protein overtime is a surefire way to be left with one kidney, To correct this simply follow this equation by first finding out your body fat percentage-navy body fat calculator. For example if you were a 270lbs male at 35% body fat this method makes you eat the same amount of protein as the weight of your lean tissue. 270lbs x 1= 270g 270 x 0.35= 94.5. 270-94.5= 175.5g of protein.

Exercise-
Exercise is a tool to supplement your diet and increase your energy expenditure thus decreasing your bodyweight. I recommend lifting weights with a balance of hypertrophy and strength to initially increase your deficit and then once you get to lower levels of body fat you can introduce cardio. Too much cardio can be metabolic (muscle loss) and lead to the aforementioned problem regarding metabolism so use wisely and sparingly. A weight lifting routine I'd recommend for beginners is the Starting Strength 5x5 full body routine by Mark Rippetoe where you hit the major muscle groups of your body 3x a week by using compound lifts such as the bench press, squat and deadlift. Compound lifts hit multiple muscles of the same group, for example the bench press works the chest, shoulders, triceps and lats whilst the deadlift works the major back muscles, biceps and legs. This routine is superior for beginners because frequency of training is key at the start as opposed to volume or intensity. Furthermore in a full body routine you work your muscles 3x a week as opposed to a body part split that only works your muscles once a week or push pull legs split which only works your muscles 2x a week. A generic full body routine looks like this-
97C08F15 1A86 4005 8F7C C8254D78F605

There are many different forms of cardio like boxing or sprinting or other outdoor activities however when using strictly gym equipment there are two main types of cardio forms that can be used on machines like the treadmill or the elliptical. These are LISS (low intensity steady state cardio) and HIIT (high intensity interval training). If you are 25% body fat or higher I would recommend LISS cardio, this is because it is easier on your joints and will not tax your nervous system as highly as HIIT training would. To perform LISS cardio set your treadmill speed at a slow/medium walking pace and increase the incline highly, to burn a decent amount of calories via this method you'd want to keep at it for a longer period of time depending on your level of fitness. If you are 20% body fat or below I would recommend HIIT cardio not only because your level of fitness should be able to handle it but also because its less time consuming and more effective at burning calories than LISS. As well as this HIIT burns calories even after you have finished doing it due to the elongated elevated heart rate as opposed to LISS which only burns calories during the session and a small window afterwards. To do HIIT training, switch between a walking pace and sprinting pace at 3-1 minute intervals. Ideally you'd want to reach a fitness level capable of switching from LISS to HIIT as soon as you are able as its more effective in achieving your goals.

Daily steps is also another underrated way to increase the calories you burn, personally my goal is to complete 7500 steps daily however I scaled up from 2500 steps. By doing this I burnt more calories and used it eat more calories which makes the process easier. For example to lose body fat you could eat 3000 calories at this point in time however had if you're not doing daily steps you would only eat 2700/2800 calories. These can easily be tracked by your smartphone or a fitness watch, the calories you burn by doing so can also be estimated using this chart.

Fasting, Intermittent Fasting, Ketogenic Diet
The dieting methods listed above are not fads but are sometimes portrayed as this holy grail of weight loss that will solve all your problems, you've probably seen them scattered across this site and others with people claiming absurd things. These diets are simply manipulations of CICO and have their benefits and disadvantages, for example intermittent fasting is great at regulating insulin sensitivity which is directly correlated with your fat cells however if you're eating more than your maintenance calories within that window you will gain weight not lose weight. Another example is the ketogenic diet which I only recommend for mini-cuts and even then its not a favourite of mine. Carbs are vital to how you perform when you exercise and so by taking away that energy source you are taking away from hypertrophy/strength feats you could be achieving. Remember these methods supplement CICO not the other way around.

The Golden %
Once you reach what I believe is the optimal body fat percentage for facial/body aesthetics (12/10%) the law of diminishing returns also appears here. This is because at this point you have reaped the benefits of losing body fat and anything lower starts to reach those levels of gauntness that isn't desirable and the risk of losing muscle is too high if you go any lower (if natural). There is very little you can do at this point and if you are at this point then you have truly reached your max potential as a a natural softmaxer at least in terms of leanmaxxing. I would advise you to keep hydrated and regulate your sodium levels to avoid facial bloat and eat volume foods and foods high in fibre to keep satiated in order to maintain this level of body fat because it is by no means easy but that is the cost of leanmaxxing.

This is my first post so if there are any mistakes or things you'd like to add lmk and if you found this insightful or helpful by any means then leave a reaction or feedback. I will make more posts like this in other areas because I'm trying to get to 100 reputation to see what's in the best of the best section so help me out if you can and keep a lookout.

• +1
  • Love it
  • JFL
Reactions: flexdyll, aintgointoheaven, bleachgoon and 66 others
Very well written.

• +1
  • Love it
Reactions: Deleted member 8919, harrys, Deleted member 9072 and 1 other person
The metabolism eventually adjusts to a point where the calories you're eating to lose weight become the calories needed to maintain your weight which is why once you stop losing weight on those calories you decrease them per usual. However if you decrease your calories significantly each time what ends up happening is you'll have to diet on 1200 calories (example) just to lose weight while the person who kept their deficit at a modest 500 calories and slowly decreased is dieting and losing weight on double that.
How do you know by how much you should decrease your calories?

There is one brutal truth to metabolism that depends on genetics which is that the metabolism of some people is higher than others due to genetics and other factors. So one person could be eating 3000 calories and still lose the same amount of weight as someone on 2200 calories or lower. Welcome to the Blackpill.
So then the maintenance calculator is not fully accurate, is it?

How do you know by how much you should decrease your calories?

So then the maintenance calculator is not fully accurate, is it?
The figure of maintenance calories that you get are an estimate because it can’t calculate your exact energy expenditure but is nonetheless useful for giving you a ballpark figure. If you find it isn’t accurate then all you need to do is make a small adjustment.

To find out if your maintenance calories are accurate eat the amount the calculator gives you for one week. If your weight goes up decrease the calories the following week. If your weight goes down increase the calories the following week. If your weight stays the same you’ve found your maintenance calories.

As long as you eat fewer calories than your maintenance calories you will lose weight. If you eat more than your maintenance you gain weight, I’ve recommended decreasing 500 calories from whatever your maintenance calories are to begin with so you lose 1lbs/0.5kg a week guaranteed just from dieting and normal daily energy expenditure. If you want to exercise to lose more weight that’s your choice but I recommend it.

If your weight loss stalls then your metabolism has adapted to the amount of calories you’re eating and so you have to eat fewer calories. For example if someone was losing weight on 2500 calories which is their maintenance calories minus 500 for a month but is no longer losing weight then they’d have to do the following.

Eat your updated maintained calories according to your current weight not your old weight for a week using the calculator. This is called a refeed and allows the metabolism to recover. After that week you’d then start eating 2300 calories which will allow you to overcome your plateau and start losing weight again. This is 200 calories fewer than your weight loss calories of 2500. Once your metabolism adjusts again and you stop losing weight you repeat. Eat at updated maintenance calories for a week to refeed then decrease calories again to start losing weight.

How fast your metabolism adjusts varies by person, some people will only need to have the same figure of calories their entire weight loss period whilst others may have to refeed and readjust their calories to lose weight. Don’t decrease your calories too fast after refeeds or you’ll end up starving. Do it in increments of 200. The weight loss will not be as fast but once you get to a lower weight you want to balance muscle retention, satiety and fat loss. if you decrease calories too fast you compromise all these things. pm me if you want tailored advice.

Last edited:
  • +1
Reactions: Tr0ubLe, Yerico7 and Cain
Keep coping, Masse ist klasse!

• Love it
Reactions: Jayjay0001
According to the navy body fat calculator, I am 4% jfl, wtf is going on? I am lean, but not THAT lean.
I am sure I have measured my waist and neck correctly.

Introduction-
As we all know leanmaxing is one of the very few softmax methods that will significantly raise your psl but there's way too much inaccuracy and misinformation on this site and others about how to do this optimally whilst ensuring you don't ruin your metabolism, lose lean tissue and waste valuable time that could be spent looksmaxing on fad diets that end up becoming a looksmin. In this guide I will outline the fundamentals of fat loss, the science behind the small details as well as other little methods that will help you to optimally leanmax after you get to the golden range of 12-10%. Being high body fat 25%+ is a complete looksmin that lowers testosterone levels, causes skin issues like acne and hides your potential bone structure. Remember if you're not leanmaxing you're not looksmaxing.

View attachment 538866 View attachment 538876

This is the base rule of fat loss, calories in, calories out. Your body requires a certain number of calories (maintenance calories) to maintain its current weight, if you eat significantly more/less calories than your maintenance calories you will gain/lose weight. This number is comprised of your BMR (basal metabolic rate) (the calories your body burns doing nothing) multiplied by your activity multiplier (the calories your body burns while active). As a general rule of thumb you want to subtract 500 calories from your maintenance calories. This is because there are 3500 calories in 1lb/0.5kg of fat, therefore consuming 500 calories below your maintenance calories ensures you lose at least 1lb/0.5kg per week from solely dieting (500x7=3500). You can increase or decrease this deficit depending on how fast you want to lose weight and what your current weight is as well as doing exercise. To find out your maintenance calories you can use this online calculator to estimate your maintenance calories. Maintenance Calculator (you may have to +/- calories as its not an exact science)

Preserving Lean Tissue-
CICO essentially means that you can eat whatever you want as long as it is below your maintenance calories and still lose weight but not all of it is just fat if you do this. Which is how people use this method and then become fat again from eating low volume high calorie foods (fast food) or extremely skinny because they don't get enough protein and micronutrients and end up looking like this by losing all their muscle mass/lean tissue.
View attachment 538973
In order to preserve lean tissue, clinical data provided by Eric Helms et al shows that losing more than 1% of your weight significantly increases your risk of losing muscle. For example a 200lbs/91kg male should not lose more than 2lbs/1kg per week in order to retain lean tissue optimally likewise a 300lbs/136kg male should aim to lose a maximum of 3lbs/1.3kg. That being said the higher in body fat you are the less risk there is of losing muscle when dieting aggressively and vice versa with people with lower levels of body fat which is why you should slow down when reaching 20% body fat. Dieting with high deficits however like 800cals or above is a one way stop to ruining your metabolism and in conjunction your leanmaxing journey. The metabolism eventually adjusts to a point where the calories you're eating to lose weight become the calories needed to maintain your weight which is why once you stop losing weight on those calories you decrease them per usual. However if you decrease your calories significantly each time what ends up happening is you'll have to diet on 1200 calories (example) just to lose weight while the person who kept their deficit at a modest 500 calories and slowly decreased is dieting and losing weight on double that. There is one brutal truth to metabolism that depends on genetics which is that the metabolism of some people is higher than others due to genetics and other factors. So one person could be eating 3000 calories and still lose the same amount of weight as someone on 2200 calories or lower. Welcome to the Blackpill.

The next step to ensure muscle retention is to eat adequate protein. Protein comes in many forms as seen on this list however the amount you need depends on both your current bodyweight and your body fat. The general consensus is 1g per pound of bodyweight or 2.2g per kilo of bodyweight, data once again provided by Eric Helms et al shows that eating more protein than this creates an effect of "diminishing returns" in terms of preserving muscle however an increase may improve satiety.View attachment 539050
But an overdose of protein can be harmful to your kidney health so use adequately. Consuming protein like this must also be done consistently to ensure results, there's little point in adhering strictly in the week to blow it all off and eat junk on the weekend and then rinse and repeat. Protein is king when it comes to preserving muscle mass and carbs and fats whilst important play second fiddle to protein. The priority when setting your nutrient ratios and distributing your calories should be Protein>Fats>Carbs. Protein first to preserve muscle and provide energy, fats second to regulate hormones and t-levels and carbs last to provide glycogen and energy to the muscles. A typical ratio is 25% protein, 25% fat and 50% carbs or you can switch carbs and fat percentages depending on your preference and anecdotal results. That being said there is a problem I've found with the above equation which is that its not suitable if you are especially overweight at 270lbs/122kg+. Eating 270g of protein overtime is a surefire way to be left with one kidney, To correct this simply follow this equation by first finding out your body fat percentage-navy body fat calculator. For example if you were a 270lbs male at 35% body fat this method makes you eat the same amount of protein as the weight of your lean tissue. 270lbs x 1= 270g 270 x 0.35= 94.5. 270-94.5= 175.5g of protein.

Exercise-
Exercise is a tool to supplement your diet and increase your energy expenditure thus decreasing your bodyweight. I recommend lifting weights with a balance of hypertrophy and strength to initially increase your deficit and then once you get to lower levels of body fat you can introduce cardio. Too much cardio can be metabolic (muscle loss) and lead to the aforementioned problem regarding metabolism so use wisely and sparingly. A weight lifting routine I'd recommend for beginners is the Starting Strength 5x5 full body routine by Mark Rippetoe where you hit the major muscle groups of your body 3x a week by using compound lifts such as the bench press, squat and deadlift. Compound lifts hit multiple muscles of the same group, for example the bench press works the chest, shoulders, triceps and lats whilst the deadlift works the major back muscles, biceps and legs. This routine is superior for beginners because frequency of training is key at the start as opposed to volume or intensity. Furthermore in a full body routine you work your muscles 3x a week as opposed to a body part split that only works your muscles once a week or push pull legs split which only works your muscles 2x a week. A generic full body routine looks like this-
View attachment 539164

There are many different forms of cardio like boxing or sprinting or other outdoor activities however when using strictly gym equipment there are two main types of cardio forms that can be used on machines like the treadmill or the elliptical. These are LISS (low intensity steady state cardio) and HIIT (high intensity interval training). If you are 25% body fat or higher I would recommend LISS cardio, this is because it is easier on your joints and will not tax your nervous system as highly as HIIT training would. To perform LISS cardio set your treadmill speed at a slow/medium walking pace and increase the incline highly, to burn a decent amount of calories via this method you'd want to keep at it for a longer period of time depending on your level of fitness. If you are 20% body fat or below I would recommend HIIT cardio not only because your level of fitness should be able to handle it but also because its less time consuming and more effective at burning calories than LISS. As well as this HIIT burns calories even after you have finished doing it due to the elongated elevated heart rate as opposed to LISS which only burns calories during the session and a small window afterwards. To do HIIT training, switch between a walking pace and sprinting pace at 3-1 minute intervals. Ideally you'd want to reach a fitness level capable of switching from LISS to HIIT as soon as you are able as its more effective in achieving your goals.

Daily steps is also another underrated way to increase the calories you burn, personally my goal is to complete 7500 steps daily however I scaled up from 2500 steps. By doing this I burnt more calories and used it eat more calories which makes the process easier. For example to lose body fat you could eat 3000 calories at this point in time however had if you're not doing daily steps you would only eat 2700/2800 calories. These can easily be tracked by your smartphone or a fitness watch, the calories you burn by doing so can also be estimated using this chart.

The dieting methods listed above are not fads but are sometimes portrayed as this holy grail of weight loss that will solve all your problems, you've probably seen them scattered across this site and others with people claiming absurd things. These diets are simply manipulations of CICO and have their benefits and disadvantages, for example intermittent fasting is great at regulating insulin sensitivity which is directly correlated with your fat cells however if you're eating more than your maintenance calories within that window you will gain weight not lose weight. Another example is the ketogenic diet which I only recommend for mini-cuts and even then its not a favourite of mine. Carbs are vital to how you perform when you exercise and so by taking away that energy source you are taking away from hypertrophy/strength feats you could be achieving. Remember these methods supplement CICO not the other way around.

The Golden %
Once you reach what I believe is the optimal body fat percentage for facial/body aesthetics (12/10%) the law of diminishing returns also appears here. This is because at this point you have reaped the benefits of losing body fat and anything lower starts to reach those levels of gauntness that isn't desirable and the risk of losing muscle is too high if you go any lower (if natural). There is very little you can do at this point and if you are at this point then you have truly reached your max potential as a a natural softmaxer at least in terms of leanmaxxing. I would advise you to keep hydrated and regulate your sodium levels to avoid facial bloat and eat volume foods and foods high in fibre to keep satiated in order to maintain this level of body fat because it is by no means easy but that is the cost of leanmaxxing.

This is my first post so if there are any mistakes or things you'd like to add lmk and if you found this insightful or helpful by any means then leave a reaction or feedback. I will make more posts like this in other areas because I'm trying to get to 100 reputation to see what's in the best of the best section so help me out if you can and keep a lookout.
what was your start and end weight?

Introduction-

Preserving Lean Tissue-
View attachment 538973

The next step to ensure muscle retention is to eat adequate protein. Protein comes in many forms as seen on this list however the amount you need depends on both your current bodyweight and your body fat. The general consensus is 1g per pound of bodyweight or 2.2g per kilo of bodyweight, data once again provided by Eric Helms et al shows that eating more protein than this creates an effect of "diminishing returns" in terms of preserving muscle however an increase may improve satiety.View attachment 539050

Exercise-
View attachment 539164

The Golden %

I would add if you’re obese (BMI of >40), consider weight loss surgery. You would drop some many pounds without even exercising in the beginning, and then exercising would carry you once you hit 220 lbs:kys::kys:

• JFL
Reactions: CyprusGD
Introduction-

Preserving Lean Tissue-
View attachment 538973

Exercise-
View attachment 539164

The Golden %

what if ur skinny but have high body fat? then what should u do

Nothing beats this :

This info is worth millions of $.
You are welcome.

The one major issue that I always faced with leanmaxxing is consuming enough protein, which these diets call for. It's like 2/3 of my calories must consist of protein in order to get enough. How the hell do you swallow that? It's like eating slabs and slabs of meat/chicken with hardly any bread or fat. Disgusting and unsustainable long-term.

The one major issue that I always faced with leanmaxxing is consuming enough protein, which these diets call for. It's like 2/3 of my calories must consist of protein in order to get enough. How the hell do you swallow that? It's like eating slabs and slabs of meat/chicken with hardly any bread or fat. Disgusting and unsustainable long-term.
I don't think I've met my daily protein intake goal more than a few days, at most, this year, but still have decent muscle volume. Protein intake might just be more important when bulking, or when on significant calorie deficits.

• +1
Reactions: Part-Time Chad
The one major issue that I always faced with leanmaxxing is consuming enough protein, which these diets call for. It's like 2/3 of my calories must consist of protein in order to get enough. How the hell do you swallow that? It's like eating slabs and slabs of meat/chicken with hardly any bread or fat. Disgusting and unsustainable long-term. thing that worked best for me when I cut

Might be because you’re following the advice of consuming 2 grams per pound of body weight. I eat 1g of protein per pound of lean body weight (muscle mass)

Try consuming your protein in different forms, main protein sources I consume are medallion steak, salmon, eggs, protein yoghurt and a shake. Then some minor protein from things like nuts.

Might be because you’re following the advice of consuming 2 grams per pound of body weight. I eat 1g of protein per pound of lean body weight (muscle mass)

Try consuming your protein in different forms, main protein sources I consume are medallion steak, salmon, eggs, protein yoghurt and a shake. Then some minor protein from things like nuts.
No. I was referring to 1 gram of protein per pound of body weight. That still adds up to a whopping 227 grams of protein a day. Not realistic at all. I can do, maybe, half that amount.

• JFL
Reactions: BrahminBoss
Navy calculator is kinda shit, gives me 8% reading when i am around 20

Navy calculator is kinda shit, gives me 8% reading when i am around 20
yeah it’s not super accurate, I believe the most accurate method is a dexa scan.

For fat loss purposes it doesn’t matter what the number is, as long as it’s consistently going down.

Working out is too much of a hassle. Maybe once I am rich and don't have other stuff to do I will do it again but I will probably just do 3 day water fasts again to get lean.

Working out is too much of a hassle. Maybe once I am rich and don't have other stuff to do I will do it again but I will probably just do 3 day water fasts again to get lean.
Stop coping bro, do you wanna look like a skeleton or what?

Stop coping bro, do you wanna look like a skeleton or what?
Yeah, I don't mind. I got kinda fat again and gained 5kg after looking somewhat emaciated and having pronounced cheekbones. I wanna get back to looking like that and having a flat stomach and chest with barely any fat.

Introduction-

Preserving Lean Tissue-
View attachment 538973

Exercise-
View attachment 539164

The Golden %

OP plz tell me how to know what Body fat percentage am i.