The final word on midface shortening/ lengthening (READ THIS YOU RETARDS)

D

Deleted member 1862

There's a massive influx of summer-cels rn and I'm tired of the looksmaxing section being clogged up by the same question. I'll keep this simple so everyone can understand.

The midface refers to the region highlighted in yellow in the diagram below:

Many of you think your midface is too long, and often think you can shorten it through surgery. While this is technically true, it's probably not what you think.

When people say someone has a long midface, they're almost ALWAYS referring to the length of their nose.

Now for the bad news.

The length of the nose CANNOT be changed.

Yeah, RIP but it's the truth. There are a couple of things you can potentially do though, they're at the bottom of this post. For now, I'll focus on the part of your midface that you CAN change, and the two most common procedures I see being discussed.

When people talk about shortening of the midface, they usually either bring up impaction or CCW rotation. These two procedures can shorten the maxilla and hence reduce the length of the midface, but will NOT shorten your nose.

Impaction

Of benefit to individuals with a gummy smile, take a look at the patient below.

Notice how in the before, her mouth was open at rest. If she were to smile, there would be a lot of gum showing. This indicates that her maxilla was too long. Hence, the length of her midface can be reduced by vertically shortening the maxilla. It's an improvement for sure, but the length of her nose remains unchanged.

CCW rotation

Mainly useful for people with overbites. Take a look at the diagram below:

Threeskulls

The blue line is the horizontal, the red line shows the angle of the occlusal plane. You don't need to know what this is, but just know that the angle it makes with the horizontal (the white arrow) should be above but close to 0 degrees (as seen in the "normal" case).

In the case of an overbite, the angle is too high and thus the jaws are rotated counter-clockwise (CCW), resulting in a decrease in the length of the maxilla, much like an impaction.

So, in summary:

1) Impaction and CCW can only reduce the length of your midface if the root cause is an excess of vertical maxillary length.

2) You cannot change the length of your nose

What CAN be done?

This is the bit most of you care about.

If you desperately need to change the PERCEIVED length of your nose (and thus midface) AND you don't have any underlying skeletal defects, your options are:

1) Philtrum reduction: If your philtrum is too long, a lip lift can reduce it's length and balance out your midface.
2) Rhinoplasty: If you have a droopy nasal tip, you can get a rhinoplasty to bring it up, effectively making your nose look shorter.
3) Widening the rest of the face. Midface length is relative, if your the rest of your face is wider, your midface will look more balanced in comparison.

Do your research before deciding to have one of these procedures done. They won't produce favourable results if they're not appropriate for YOUR FACE.​

Attachments

• threeskulls.jpg
    threeskulls.jpg
    44.9 KB · Views: 153
  • +1
  • So Sad
Reactions: Agendum, sandcelmuttcel, LastHopeForNorman and 10 others
dn rd but high iq

• So Sad
  • +1
Reactions: Deleted member 12218 and Deleted member 1862
Water

• +1
  • Woah
  • So Sad
Reactions: shogrim, Toth's thot, TheEndHasNoEnd and 2 others
3) Widening the rest of the face. Midface length is relative, if your the rest of your face is wider, your midface will look more balanced in comparison.
How would yo do that? If you widen your zygos you might make your ESRatio worse, you would need to change the IPD as well for that to work.

• +1
  • So Sad
Reactions: ungewist, Deleted member 6531 and Deleted member 12218
  • So Sad
  • Love it
Reactions: Toth's thot and Deleted member 12218
Just because you know it doesn't mean others do. For most long-time users, this is indeed water, but new threads with "water" information are kinda warranted to tell new users how things are.

• +1
  • So Sad
Reactions: Deleted member 12218, SteveRogers, Deleted member 4430 and 1 other person
How would yo do that? If you widen your zygos you might make your ESRatio worse, you would need to change the IPD as well for that to work.
Correct, hence:
Do your research before deciding to have one of these procedures done. They won't produce favourable results if they're not appropriate for YOUR FACE.
Very low IPD is probably the hardest thing to overcome.

• So Sad
Reactions: Artemide and Deleted member 12218
- Bonesmash (tap with fingers for 5 mins every day) zygos
- incisor chew (shorten midface a TINY amount, grow masseters)
- lip lift (shorten philtrum - chin to philtrum ratio is VERY important, I've read it should be 2-2.25, imo should be 2.5)

• So Sad
Reactions: Deleted member 12218
my midface ratio is 0.93
I have gummy smile and long philtrum so I'm coping with maxillary impaction + lip lift

• So Sad
Modified Lefort 3 can shorten(rotate) nose a bit since most long maxillas are also flat.
Often modified L3 is combined with L1

And I disagree that ccw rotation will affect only philtrum region.
12 Figure16 1

But good thread very clear

• +1
  • So Sad
  • So Sad
No one is as fucked as me. Midface ratio below 0.90 but with forward grown maxilla, normal upturned nose and recessed chin. Genetic recombination raped me hard.

• So Sad
  • JFL
Reactions: datboijj, mewcoper, Deleted member 12218 and 4 others
What is the pic on the bottom? Is it facepuller or lefort
Its a Won Moon protocol about n2 implant inserted into maxilla- simulation F which give extreme ccw rotation.
No Lefort even Lefort 3 wouldn't be able to match this. That's why this study is interesting

• Woah
  • So Sad
Reactions: AscendingHero and Deleted member 12218
No one is as fucked as me. Midface ratio below 0.90 but with forward grown maxilla, normal upturned nose and recessed chin. Genetic recombination raped me hard.
brutal

• So Sad
Reactions: Deleted member 12218 and Taylorswift
when you can't see your upper teeth/gums when you smile is that a sign that your maxilla is too short vertically?

• So Sad
Its a Won Moon protocol about n2 implant inserted into maxilla- simulation F which give extreme ccw rotation.
No Lefort even Lefort 3 wouldn't be able to match this. That's why this study is interesting
can we do this after becoming adult tho?

when you can't see your upper teeth/gums when you smile is that a sign that your maxilla is too short vertically?
maybe SFS(Short Face Syndrome)
but it can make you gigachad

• So Sad
What about lengthening?

• So Sad
can we do this after becoming adult tho?

maybe SFS(Short Face Syndrome)
but it can make you gigachad
Yes but n2 implant is still developing.
Here you have an article

• So Sad
Also avoid fades or shaved sides with high volume on top hair styles it makes things worse

• So Sad
a lefort 1 will fix a long mid face

• +1
  • So Sad
i have no words for this response
a lf1 will make your midface appear slightly shorter, kinda the way a ladder gets 'shorter' when you move it down when its leaning on a wall.

but ngl midface probably isn't your problem if it can be 'amended' by lf1

• So Sad
a lf1 will make your midface appear slightly shorter, kinda the way a ladder gets 'shorter' when you move it down when its leaning on a wall.

but ngl midface probably isn't your problem if it can be 'amended' by lf1
correct, in fact I'm pretty sure I used that exact analogy in another thread jfl

but it won't make a noticeable difference when compared to the things I've listed about.

Remember that a 10mm advancement is very aggressive, and much more likely would be 5/6 mm. This will make very little difference to the angle.

• +1
  • So Sad
Reactions: Deleted member 12218 and oatmeal
correct, in fact I'm pretty sure I used that exact analogy in another thread jfl

but it won't make a noticeable difference when compared to the things I've listed about.

Remember that a 10mm advancement is very aggressive, and much more likely would be 5/6 mm. This will make very little difference to the angle.
im getting my maxilla moved close to 10 mm forward with a Lefort 1. I promise you it is going to appear shorter significantly. it makes your cheeks look more filled in and removes that flat look also. check out the first girls midface in the before and after. http://jawsurgeryforums.com/index.php?topic=570.0

Last edited:
  • So Sad
im getting my maxilla moved close to 10 mm forward with a Lefort 1. I promise you it is going to appear shorter significantly. it makes your cheeks look more filled in and removes that flat look also.
good luck boyo, keep us updated

• So Sad
good luck boyo, keep us updated
thanks. I've been in braces for over 2 years now. My bite has gotten worse with braces and I can almost fit my pinkie between my teeth with my mouth shut. due to covid, I've had to wait longer than normal which sucks. Thankfully I can cover my subhuman bite with a mask right now.

• So Sad
Scientifically false here's a fact

Enough force on something will shorten it
Step on a can it will be crushed
If you had a hydraulic press perfectly put under your nose and made it press hard enough it would break the bone therefore shortening it

• JFL
  • So Sad
  • +1
Reactions: Deleted member 16371, thecel and Deleted member 12218

If you had a hydraulic press perfectly put under your nose and made it press hard enough it would break the bone therefore shortening it
just hydraulic press your face bro

• JFL
  • +1
  • So Sad
Reactions: Deleted member 17829, thecel, Deleted member 12218 and 1 other person

So you're telling me, if I were to lie down under a train, I'd get crushed?

• +1
Reactions: Swolepenisman and Deleted member 1862
Also if you have a recessed chin, you should fix it with sliding genioplasty to make your mid face appear shorter and the bottom of your longer.

I THINK, I'm pre sure

Tfw you have short philtrum and long nose can’t shorten my midface with lf1 without giving me a 2mm long philtrum

• JFL
Reactions: Deleted member 16371