The Ideal Chin to Philtrum Ratio

L

lilhorizontal32

Equinox
As per my earlier post:

In that post I talked about how we can eventually work out what ratios are ideal for aesthetics on a male face, so that should we choose to surgerymax, we will know exactly how much augmentation to get, and where. However, I thought that if I wanted to make this more valid, I should increase the sample size I use to do my measurements, and increased it from approximately 15ish to a total of 40 different guys.

Results:

miroslav cech2.60
simonas pham2.03
christian bale2.31
james kakonge2.25
xavier serrano2.45
jeremy meeks2.33
david gandy2.31
henry cavill2.47
andreas eriksen2.60
sendhil ramamurthy2.2
sean o pry3.04
francisco lachowski2.4
tyler maher3.11
zach cox2.76
jon-erik hexum2.5
manu bora2.8
harry raftus3
sergio carvajal2.64
oliver cheshire2.85
garrett neff2.96
ton heukels2.73
ashton gohil2.54
caspar thomas2.55
charlie knepper2.72
christopher pfeffer2.23
colton haynes2.3
islam dulatov2.56
gabriel daum2.77
geoffrey camus2.46
ivan bubalo2.72
jason shaw2.8
james triglione2.78
jon kortajakarena2.25
julian schneyder2.79
kevin papon2.19
luke volker2.89
ravi goswami2.97
terrence telle2.64
maximilian wefers2.62
simon nessman2.98

I also worked out the statistics for these numbers, because this is the most important part.

Here's what I got:

The 3 most important statistics:

Average (mean) - 2.60
Median (the middle value) - 2.61
Standard deviation - 0.27

Graphs:

0 2

0 1

From this, and from the statistics themselves, we can see that the ideal chin to philtrum ratio is somewhere between 2.4 - 2.8.

It is hard to say what exact chin to philtrum ratio would be ideal for any one individual however, as this would be dependent on the face as a whole and we still haven't determined the ideal ratios for a lot of the other features. But in general, I would say that most people's chin height would look aesthetic as look as it stays within this range

• +1
  • Love it
  • JFL
Reactions: Deleted member 18582, thecel, ChristianChad and 16 others
i have short chin:feelswhy::feelswhy:

• +1
  • Woah
  • So Sad
Reactions: chinless, RAMU KAKA, Sondern and 3 others
@Slayerino

How is chin to philtrum ratio measured?

• +1
Reactions: RAMU KAKA, ChristianChad, Slob and 2 others
How is chin to philtrum ratio measured?
by dividing the height of the chin, to the length of the philtrum, with the two lines being parallel (ie. angled in the same direction) and this is important to decrease the measurement error

I measured the length of the philtrum from a pixel or two above the upper lip to a pixel or two below the base of the nose

• +1
Reactions: LooksmaxxHopeful and delusionalretard
by dividing the height of the chin, to the length of the philtrum, with the two lines being parallel (ie. angled in the same direction) and this is important to decrease the measurement error

I measured the length of the philtrum from a pixel or two above the upper lip to a pixel or two below the base of the nose
Do you mean, like this:

• +1
Reactions: RAMU KAKA, Deleted member 8165 and Deleted member 756
:love::love::love::love::love::love::love::love:

This has to be the greatest post I have ever stumbled upon.

Take my Reddit Gold, Reddit Silver and take my wife. You deserve absolutely everything strangerino.

• JFL
  • +1
  • Love it
Reactions: bleachmaxxer69, RAMU KAKA, bigtony and 5 others
Lmao I have a really short philtrum and a slightly above average chin. I got 3.5. I just have gigantic lips though which throws lip-based ratios off for me. My lips have never been a failo, generally a halo. So I suspect this ratio while good is probably doomed by being too impacted by lip size.

Why not define “philtrum” as bottom of nose to middle of mouth, and “chin” as middle of mouth to bottom of chin? That way you now have a lip-unbiased version of this ratio. Not saying it’s better, but I wonder how much it differs. I bet I have an ideal ratio if you do it this way, much like how my midface ratio is over 1.15 but if you do midface ratio to middle of mouth it’s the same as many models with slightly compact faces. Which is why I don’t look weird despite having an extremely compact face. I think most ratios other than FWHR that include lip height are flawed for people with very small or large lips. You can look good with big or small lips but then these ratios will indicate otherwise. FWHR is pretty legit because it’s at least backed by serious studies. Midface ratio and most other ratios that include lip height don’t have much science behind them

maybe I’m coping with my giant lips but I think it’s funny how my ratios go from alien tier to ideal whenever you exclude lip height

Last edited:
  • +1
Reactions: arabcelxxx, Raskens1, Slob and 2 others
no the top of the philtrum has to be beneath the nose, whereas yours is on it

How much does a heavy stubble add to the perceived chin-philtrum ratio would you say? Length of 4-5mm so it should in theory make a 10-15% difference.

Do you mean like this:
If we use that method, then someone with a long nose tip (like in the picture) will make it seem like they have a short philtrum:

Would the above person be considered to have a short philtrum?

• +1
Reactions: lilhorizontal32
No
How much does a heavy stubble add to the perceived chin-philtrum ratio would you say? Length of 4-5mm so it should in theory make a 10-15% difference.
idea, but the thicker the facial hair the less the philtrum and lower third in general will be visible

I see. There is different methods of measuring it. There's the way you measure it, and the other way to measure is to use the nostril tips instead of nose tips, like I did earlier. Which method do you think is correct?

I see. There is different methods of measuring it. There's the way you measure it, and the other way to measure is to use the nostril tips instead of nose tips, like I did earlier. Which method do you think is correct?
My method isn’t perfectly accurate because of the fact some people have downturned noses which distorts the result.

However id say this is pretty minor and besides the chin to philtrum ratio shouldn’t be the only ratio you use to help you understand your face and decide whether or not to augment your chin/philtrum

• +1
Reactions: far336
I rotated the image and measured it:

View attachment 1206438

Seems to match with your numbers
Sorry one question, this guy has a Nordic nose, I have an iranid nose, so the tip of the nose hooks down slightly below where the nose cartilage bone begins.

So got the second measurement do I measure from my upper lip to where nose cartilage bone begins, or to where my nose 'visually' begins?

Sorry one question, this guy has a Nordic nose, I have an iranid nose, so the tip of the nose hooks down slightly below where the nose cartilage bone begins.

So got the second measurement do I measure from my upper lip to where nose cartilage bone begins, or to where my nose 'visually' begins?
I measured it from where the nose "visually" begins, however, looking back I think it would've been better if I measured it to the REAL point where the lower third ends, which is where the upper lip actually ends (ie. where the nose cartilage bone beings).

however this wasn't possible due to camera angles and the fact that different guys had different nose shapes.

and also, this shouldn't make a big difference in the overall measurement, but if you are still concerned you can always decrease a small amount from your CtP ratio as your ratio will be artificially smaller owing to a slight miscalculation for your philtrum length (it will be larger than what you measured)

I measured it from where the nose "visually" begins, however, looking back I think it would've been better if I measured it to the REAL point where the lower third ends, which is where the upper lip actually ends (ie. where the nose cartilage bone beings).

however this wasn't possible due to camera angles and the fact that different guys had different nose shapes.

and also, this shouldn't make a big difference in the overall measurement, but if you are still concerned you can always decrease a small amount from your CtP ratio as your ratio will be artificially smaller owing to a slight miscalculation for your philtrum length (it will be larger than what you measured)
Yeah so I measured mine from where my nose visually ends, and got 2.75, likely if I did it correctly as you say I'd be a little lower (my nose ends lower cos it hooks out like a sandnigger), so maybe 2.65.

Think this is normal but I think what's different with me an dmoat normies is my chin protrudes out a bit, not like a point, but the while flat part of the chin itself

I know its an old post but i would like to point how bad this measurements were made. Sean o pry doesnt have a 3 chin philtrum ratio at all, i would like to see the measurement that was made.

• +1
Reactions: ChristianChad
I know its an old post but i would like to point how bad this measurements were made. Sean o pry doesnt have a 3 chin philtrum ratio at all, i would like to see the measurement that was made.
what is his ratio then

• +1
Reactions: ChristianChad
As per my earlier post:

In that post I talked about how we can eventually work out what ratios are ideal for aesthetics on a male face, so that should we choose to surgerymax, we will know exactly how much augmentation to get, and where. However, I thought that if I wanted to make this more valid, I should increase the sample size I use to do my measurements, and increased it from approximately 15ish to a total of 40 different guys.

Results:

miroslav cech2.60
simonas pham2.03
christian bale2.31
james kakonge2.25
xavier serrano2.45
jeremy meeks2.33
david gandy2.31
henry cavill2.47
andreas eriksen2.60
sendhil ramamurthy2.2
sean o pry3.04
francisco lachowski2.4
tyler maher3.11
zach cox2.76
jon-erik hexum2.5
manu bora2.8
harry raftus3
sergio carvajal2.64
oliver cheshire2.85
garrett neff2.96
ton heukels2.73
ashton gohil2.54
caspar thomas2.55
charlie knepper2.72
christopher pfeffer2.23
colton haynes2.3
islam dulatov2.56
gabriel daum2.77
geoffrey camus2.46
ivan bubalo2.72
jason shaw2.8
james triglione2.78
jon kortajakarena2.25
julian schneyder2.79
kevin papon2.19
luke volker2.89
ravi goswami2.97
terrence telle2.64
maximilian wefers2.62
simon nessman2.98

I also worked out the statistics for these numbers, because this is the most important part.

Here's what I got:

View attachment 1206371

The 3 most important statistics:

Average (mean) - 2.60
Median (the middle value) - 2.61
Standard deviation - 0.27

Graphs:

View attachment 1206373

View attachment 1206372
From this, and from the statistics themselves, we can see that the ideal chin to philtrum ratio is somewhere between 2.4 - 2.8.

It is hard to say what exact chin to philtrum ratio would be ideal for any one individual however, as this would be dependent on the face as a whole and we still haven't determined the ideal ratios for a lot of the other features. But in general, I would say that most people's chin height would look aesthetic as look as it stays within this range
Sorry to revive that but it will alwayz amaze me how bad are u guys in measuring stuff. Every measuring post is like that. All the ratios here are lower than what this guy said

The problem here is you are not accounting for lens distortion

• WTF
Reactions: thecel
This thread deserves to be in BotB.

This thread deserves to be in BotB.
No it doesnt. The thread doesnt account for lens distortion, head tilt. Those ratios on front facing picks vary a lot depending on those factors. Just not good contribution which cannot be used for adequate planning

• Hmm...
  • +1
Reactions: thecel and Deleted member 18582
No it doesnt. The thread doesnt account for lens distortion, head tilt. Those ratios on front facing picks vary a lot depending on those factors. Just not good contribution which cannot be used for adequate planning

Chin-to-philtrum ratio is affected very little, if at all, by lens distortion. ES ratio is affected way more substantially by lens distortion.

Moreover, the pictures of male models that the measurements were taken from are taken at far enough distances for lens distortion to not be an issue. The ratios (I presume) are measured from the models’ professional photos and not from their selfies.

Last edited: