The palate and its effects (high iqers please help)

CaptainCalicoe

CaptainCalicoe

Iron
Ok basically my question is does an expansion of the palate affect your mandible in anyway? I don't see how it could, the only way you would get a wider jaw is by expanding the mandible itself or via the maxilla coming up and forward (upswing) which would in turn bring your jaw and chin up and forward making it more prominent (but not necessarily wider).

Just curious if there are any other knock on facial effects of having a wider palate other than having a wider palate. In the same way having your maxilla brought forward would not only affect cheekbones, orbits and upper jaw, but also your mandible.

• Woah
  • +1
Reactions: thecel and whiteissuperior
does an expansion of the palate affect your mandible in anyway?
Yes. Palate expansion improves the mandible a lot. Makes the maxilla broader too.

• +1
  • Woah
Reactions: Deleted member 16264, thecel, AscendingHero and 1 other person
Yes. Palate expansion improves the mandible a lot. Makes the maxilla broader too.
Do you mind explaining how? Or link any articles please. I'm not saying you're wrong btw I'd just like to know the process.

I had my palate expanded
The effects so far in terms of improvement in appearance aren't noticeable
Unfortunately even a 7mm+ expansion still left me with a narrower Palate than your average Joe
My Palate growth was stunted in my development due to an underbite

The main benefit is that I can breathe much better through my nose, feels like my lungs expand an extra 30% when I inhale compared to how they used to
My nose base is a little bit wider now which isn't a positive or negative aesthetically imo

Once the gap between my teeth is closed I will check whether I have additional teeth show when smiling

• +1
Reactions: AscendingHero, SOS-Sonic and CaptainCalicoe
It depends. Usually palate expansion is done for patients with a very narrow palate or bite problems. So it usually doesn't change the jaw that much. But as the palate grows, the jaw grows too, that is, it gets bigger and more robust, and generates minimal facial growth forward. It's not as effective for looksmax, but it improves your smile (makes it wider), can improve your jaw, and generates minimal forward growth. It is usually done more on the functional side of breathing and biting.

But my tip is, if you can do it, do it, it improves your breathing, and it gives you an improvement in your appearance too.

I had my palate expanded
The effects so far in terms of improvement in appearance aren't noticeable
Unfortunately even a 7mm+ expansion still left me with a narrower Palate than your average Joe
My Palate growth was stunted in my development due to an underbite

The main benefit is that I can breathe much better through my nose, feels like my lungs expand an extra 30% when I inhale compared to how they used to
My nose base is a little bit wider now which isn't a positive or negative aesthetically imo

Once the gap between my teeth is closed I will check whether I have additional teeth show when smiling
Did your lips/mouth get wider when your mouth is closed?

• +1
Reactions: Deleted member 16264
Henry Cavill has a small palate by the way and a bit of crowding. Other famous actors have small palate but classical good bone structure too.

For this reason there may be some correlation between palate width and maxilla/cheekbones prominence, but I'd argue that one doesn't necessarily imply the other.