The Problem With Rating Male Attractiveness | Why The 1-10 'Looks Scale' Is Flawed

Selinity

Selinity

Zephir
-Wheat Waffles YT
The 1-10 scale that we have been using in heavily flawed. In this post I will be going over my main critisisms of this manner of appraising male aesthetics, and in the end offering a better way of measuring your attractiveness.

Inconsistent Numbers 🔢

You would assume that the 1-10 scale would have equal jumps in attractiveness from each number to the next. In other words, each numerical jump on the scale would be an equal 10% forwards in attractiveness. Ideally, the increase in looks from each looks level would look like this:

1 -> 2 -> 3 -> 4 -> 5 -> 6 -> 6 -> 7 -> 8 -> 9 -> 10

However, in reality the jumps in attractiveness on the looks scale are something like this:

1 = 2 = 3 -> 4 --> 5 -> 6 -> 7 --> 8 = 9
As you can see, a 1-out-of-ten is essentially the same as the 2 and the 3-out-of-ten. They all mean the same thing--no one is going to find you good looking. Additionally, the jump from 4 to 5 is disproportionately large, same thing when you go from '7' to '8' on the 1-10 scale.

A 7 out of ten and an 8 out of 10 look like they're complete different species despite supposedly being only 1 looks level apart:
Besides the aforementioned inconsistencies, some of the numbers on the looks scale don't even exist. The 1-out-of-10 and 10-out-of-10 respectively are essentially imaginary numbers that exist in the scale for no reason but to act as place-holders.

Additionally, 8 and 9 mean basically the same thing.

At this point people might as well reduce it to the 3-8 scale.

Virtue Signalling 😇

When rating men women tend to lie and fluffy up your rating a little bit. This is called 'virtue signalling,' something which women have adapted to do since offending a male used to mean certain death.

Even in today's age it's not beneficial to be honest, and women still have a natural compulsion to try and be agreeable. In accordance with this your actual looks rating can be inflated 2 to 3 points by a women so that she can come across as virtuous and polite.

But it is not just women who virtue signal when it comes to ratings.

Men also tend to fudge up looks-ratings, especially for themselves.

How can you expect to be able to objectively rate someone when there's all of these factors skewing the numbers in the background?

As a result there is little proper variation in looks ratings.

If ever you ask someone to rate you, unless you are borderline deformed you can expect one of three ratings:

5, 6, 7
Because of human nature and my first criticism of the looks-scale, the scale's full range is not even properly used.

Context 🗣️

When you ask people to rate you they factor in many other things with their rating. After someone's known you for a little it's basically impossible for them to rate your aesthetics objectively because many other factors such as your perceived worth and SMV skew the results.

Things like body and height can effect your rating, even if you ask for one dependant on your looks.

Besides that what if the person rating you has heard things about you?

Those things will certainly influence your rating.

There are so many things going on in the background that most definitely alter the rating and thus make it inaccurate.

A good example of context working positively would be in the case of social proof (e.g men with girlfriends are seen as more attractive)

Subjectivity 👩👨

Looks are subjective.

Of course some things have more apeal and whatever but people still have 'types' and 'preferences.'

This can skew the results again.

What if the person who's rating you prefers pretty boys? This preference will alter the person's ideal '10' and thus the remainder of the looks chart.

Of course the disparity caused by preference is not very big, but on a scale as wonky as this one which in practice essentially works like this,

5, 6, 7 --> 8/9
That slight change will throw an even bigger wrench into things.

People here for example praise masculine features above all, but on female equivalents to this site they prefer and worship more androgynous looking chads (facially)

Alternative 👌

I propose we use a three-point-scale.

This scale will have only three ratings: Sub-5, Normie, Chad.

Rather than using arbitrary numbers and shit distribution like the 1-10 scale, this scale will be more accurate by using your female attention and treatment as the measuring stick for attractiveness.

Chad
Characteristics: negatives seen as positives (or at least overlooked), easily able to obtain relationships with females
-shy becomes cute
-arrogance becomes confidence
-intimacy on demand
-bad jokes are voluntarily laughed at, etc

Normie
Characteristics: Gets 'soft rejections,' Women virtue signal
-negative traits seen for what they are
-Struggles to get relationships with females (sexual)
-Needs two of the following in order to be successful with a women: 6ft+, her type, gym body, talents, status, social circle, game, luck, common interests, hyper NT, etc

Sub-5
Characteristics: Gets 'Hard rejections,' Positives seen as Negatives
-Confidence is arrogance
-Intelligence is geeky/nerdy
-Gym body is over compensating (gymcel)

tagging some users who may be interested in this topic:
@sergeant blackpill @Philtrumcel @AcneScars @Rift678 @Alexanderr @tyronelite @BeautyIsEverything @Spiral @wereqryan @Lihito @wanttobeattractive

Last edited:
  • +1
Reactions: tyronelite, nelson_tuna, Julius and 11 others

• +1
  • JFL
Reactions: Deleted member 14262, owlofathena, Deleted member 12669 and 2 others
-Wheat Waffles YT
The 1-10 scale that we have been using in heavily flawed. In this post I will be going over my main critisisms of this manner of appraising male aesthetics, and in the end offering a better way of measuring your attractiveness.

Inconsistent Numbers 🔢

You would assume that the 1-10 scale would have equal jumps in attractiveness from each number to the next. In other words, each numerical jump on the scale would be an equal 10% forwards in attractiveness. Ideally, the increase in looks from each looks level would look like this:

However, in reality the jumps in attractiveness on the looks scale are something like this:

As you can see, a 1-out-of-ten is essentially the same as the 2 and the 3-out-of-ten. They all mean the same thing--no one is going to find you good looking. Additionally, the jump from 4 to 5 is disproportionately large, same thing when you go from '7' to '8' on the 1-10 scale.

A 7 out of ten and an 8 out of 10 look like they're complete different species despite supposedly being only 1 looks level apart:
Besides the aforementioned inconsistencies, some of the numbers on the looks scale don't even exist. The 1-out-of-10 and 10-out-of-10 respectively are essentially imaginary numbers that exist in the scale for no reason.

Virtue Signalling 😇

When rating men women tend to lie and fluffy up your rating a little bit. This is called 'virtue signalling,' something which women have adapted to do since offending a male used to mean certain death.

Even in today's age it's not beneficial to be honest, and women still have a natural compulsion to try and be agreeable. In accordance with this your actual looks rating can be inflated 2 to 3 points by a women so that she can come across as virtuous and polite.

How can you expect to be able to objectively rate someone when there's all of these factors skewing the numbers in the background?

If ever you ask someone to rate you, unless you are borderline deformed you can expect one of three ratings:

5, 6, 7
Because of human nature and my first criticism of the looks-scale, the scale's full range is not even properly used.

Context 🗣️

When you ask people to rate you they factor in many other things with their rating. After someone's known you for a little it's basically impossible for them to rate your aesthetics objectively because many other factors such as your perceived worth and SMV skew the results.

Things like body and height can effect your rating, even if you ask for one dependant on your looks.

There are so many things going on in the background that most definitely alter the rating and thus make it inaccurate.

A good example of context working positively would be in the case of social proof (e.g men with girlfriends are seen as more attractive)

Subjectivity 👩👨

Looks are subjective.

Of course some things have more apeal and whatever but people still have 'types' and 'preferences.'

What if the person who's rating you prefers pretty boys? This preference will alter the person's ideal '10' and thus the remainder of the looks chart.

Of course the disparity caused by preference is not very big, but on a scale as wonky as this one which in practice essentially works like this,

5, 6, 7 --> 8/9

People here for example praise masculine features above all, but on female equivalents to this site they prefer and worship more androgynous looking chads (facially)

Alternative 👌

Rather than using arbitrary numbers and shit distribution like the 1-10 scale, this scale will be more accurate by using your female attention and treatment as the measuring stick for attractiveness.

Chad
Characteristics: negatives seen as positives (or at least overlooked), easily able to obtain relationships with females
-shy becomes cute
-intimacy on demand

Normie
-Needs two of the following in order to be successful with a women: 6ft+, her type, gym body, talents, status, social circle, game, luck, common interests, hyper NT, etc

Sub-5
-Confidence is arrogance

@sergeant blackpill @Philtrumcel @AcneScars @Rift678 @Alexanderr @tyronelite @BeautyIsEverything @Spiral @wereqryan @Lihito @wanttobeattractive
Mirin effort. 1-5 scale moggs. PSL is for models mostly

• +1
Reactions: Philtrumcel and Selinity
-Wheat Waffles YT

Inconsistent Numbers 🔢

Besides the aforementioned inconsistencies, some of the numbers on the looks scale don't even exist. The 1-out-of-10 and 10-out-of-10 respectively are essentially imaginary numbers that exist in the scale for no reason.

Virtue Signalling 😇

5, 6, 7

Context 🗣️

Subjectivity 👩👨

Looks are subjective.

5, 6, 7 --> 8/9

Alternative 👌

Chad
-shy becomes cute
-intimacy on demand

Normie

Sub-5
-Confidence is arrogance

Am at normie, need to reach chad asap.

Thanks for the good thread.

• +1
Reactions: Selinity
1618344073510-jpeg.1089223
1618343916557-png.1089216
You rated that normie 7/10 and a PSL god like O Pry only 8/10

Jfl u can't rate

• +1
  • JFL
Reactions: Deleted member 14262, Deleted member 12669 and ReignsChad

Jfl u can't rate
I didn't rate them myself, I searched up '7/10' and '8/10' respectively on looksmax and those were what the general population seemed to think jfl. besides, 8/10, 9/10--it's the same anyways.

This is exactly the problem with the looks scale. Even if it's exaggerated, it still illustrates the crazy jump in attractiveness from 7->8/10 perfectly.

• +1
  • JFL
Reactions: mulattomaxxer, Deleted member 14262 and gamma
I didn't rate them myself, I searched up '7/10' and '8/10' respectively on looksmax and those were what the general population seemed to think jfl. besides, 8/10, 9/10--it's the same anyways.

This is exactly the problem with the looks scale. Even if it's exaggerated, it still illustrates the crazy jump in attractiveness from 7->8/10 perfectly.
wtf that normie is 6/10 and O pry is 9.5/10
There's a huge difference

wtf that normie is 6/10 and O pry is 9.5/10
There's a huge difference
It isn't about what you think, it's about what most people think.
That's how the rating would go. And that's how it went on this site.
I did not rate them myself, the psl autists did jfl.

It is what it is.
Like I said, this is why we need to fix the way we rate looks

it's about what most people think.
That's how the rating would go. And that's how it went on this site
nobody rated O Pry 8/10 seriously
He's one of the male models more worshipped here

• +1
Jfl u can't rate
lol i was thinking the same that dude can't be over 5 especially witht that picture

nobody rated O Pry 8/10 seriously
He's one of the male models more worshipped here
Stop coping, trying to defend this shitty model for appraising looks.
He gets seriously rated an 8/10 all the time.

• +1
Reactions: Deleted member 14262 and Philtrumcel
"Looks are subjective" part is a fucking cope.
Looks are only subjective when comparing to individuals within the same "weight category" with some minor deviation (e.g 8/10 vs another 8/10, 7.5/10 or 8.5/10)
Outside of that scenario, looks are one of the least subjective things in the world imo. It is simply biologically impossible for a human being to find a 6.5/10 more physcially attractive than a 8/10, no matter how fucking subjective that person is in their ratings.

• +1
Reactions: LooksmaxxHopeful and Philtrumcel
"Looks are subjective" part is a fucking cope.
Looks are only subjective when comparing to individuals within the same "weight category" with some minor deviation (e.g 8/10 vs another 8/10, 7.5/10 or 8.5/10)
Outside of that scenario, looks are one of the least subjective things in the world imo. It is simply biologically impossible for a human being to find a 6.5/10 more physcially attractive than a 8/10, no matter how fucking subjective that person is in their ratings.
By that I meant preference.
Some women prefer more androgynous pretty boys, and some prefer more masculine faces.
Each can be attractive, but the preference will alter the rating.
I beleive I elaborated on this in the post.

Take the time to read before you accuse people of coping.

Your assumption is wrong. PSL ratings are based on a normal distrubition model

psl 2 is 2% truecel
psl 3 is 14% incel
psl 4 is 50% average
psl 5 is 84% chadlite
psl 6 is 97% chad

• +1
The point of psl rating is to point out specific halos and failos

but your rating system is good too, i'll adopt it for a while and call it the Selinity rating system or the S.R.S

• Hmm...
Why do you care so much about rating other men? Sounds kinda gay to me

• Woah
Reactions: Stevensmithgerard

9/10 is supermodel, 8/10 is handsome model. Cope post because of YOUR flawed rating system

• +1
Reactions: gamma
-Wheat Waffles YT

Inconsistent Numbers 🔢

Besides the aforementioned inconsistencies, some of the numbers on the looks scale don't even exist. The 1-out-of-10 and 10-out-of-10 respectively are essentially imaginary numbers that exist in the scale for no reason but to act as place-holders.

Virtue Signalling 😇

5, 6, 7

Context 🗣️

Subjectivity 👩👨

Looks are subjective.

5, 6, 7 --> 8/9

Alternative 👌

Chad
-shy becomes cute
-intimacy on demand

Normie

Sub-5
-Confidence is arrogance

you copypasted a yt video for a weak attempt to farm updoots. shit thread

• +1
The problem of judging through attention given by women is many people on this forum are introverted high inhib people that barely meet women. Extroverted LTN would outrank introverted HTN on your scale.

Rating should be:
Gigachad (Famous actors, singers, and models, like O'pry, Gandy, Chico, Hexum, Dellisola, Drago, Lemond, Delon, prime Beiber, Cavill, Zayn, young Leto, etc.)
Chad (TikTok stars, Tinder slayers, etc.)
Chadlite (Yubo slayers, popular because of looks, etc.)

HTN (looked up to in social circles, can LTR pretty easily)
Normie (Average joe)
LTN (the dog of the social circle, the punching bag, etc.)

Subhuman (made fun of in school, children and babies don't like you, etc.)

This is pretty much how people on here already rate, and it is incredibly more intuitive than numbers I find, and it is very easy to see where you belong.

Last edited:
  • +1
Reactions: mulattomaxxer and gamma
Rating should be:
Gigachad (Famous actors, singers, and models, like O'pry, Gandy, Chico, Hexum, Dellisola, Drago, Lemond, Delon, prime Beiber, Cavill, Zayn, young Leto, etc.)
Chad (TikTok stars, Tinder slayers, etc.)
Chadlite (Yubo slayers, popular because of looks, etc.)

HTN (looked up to in social circles, can LTR pretty easily)
Normie (Average joe)
LTN (the dog of the social circle, the punching bag, etc.)

Subhuman (made fun of in school, children and babies don't like you, etc.)

This is pretty much how people on here already rate, and it is incredibly more intuitive than numbers I find, and it is very easy to see where you belong.
Ultimately these divide into the three groups (close to the ones you mention):
1. Chad (Gigachad, Chad, Chadlite)
2. Normie (HTN, Normie, LTN)
3. Incel / Subhuman

• +1
Reactions: MiroslavBulldosex
are you wheatwaffles or whatever his name is?

Good thread I agree the normie rating scale is useless
since offending a male used to mean certain death
The good old days

• +1
  • JFL
Reactions: Fenrir and Selinity
aesthetic thread.

• JFL

i like this to be honest

• +1
tldr
Notation

• JFL
Good thread. PSL is garbage

• +1
Reactions: mulattomaxxer
What about a 5 point scale? Subhuman, Incel, Normie, Chadlite and Chad. If you want I can elaborate further.

Last edited:
  • +1
Reactions: Deleted member 13409
It’s not even worth rating with much granularity. There’s:

- ugly enough that even in your 30s you won’t get women if you’re rich
- generic unattractive guy who works really hard to get dates
- generic guy who is decent looking enough to get dates fairly easy and often
- chad who gets approached at least once a week
- gigachad who barely exists irl but is so attractive almost all women want him

What about a 5 point scale? Subhuman, Incel, Normie, Chadlite and Chad. If you want I can elaborate further.

No real difference between subhuman and incel the results are the same. Make it Ugly, Normie, Chadlite, Chad+

It’s not even worth rating with much granularity. There’s:

- ugly enough that even in your 30s you won’t get women if you’re rich
- generic unattractive guy who works really hard to get dates
- generic guy who is decent looking enough to get dates fairly easy and often
- chad who gets approached at least once a week
- gigachad who barely exists irl but is so attractive almost all women want him

No real difference between subhuman and incel the results are the same. Make it Ugly, Normie, Chadlite, Chad+
Subhuman will evoke pity or disgust whenever he is looked at. Incel can fly under the radar.

Subhuman will evoke pity or disgust whenever he is looked at. Incel can fly under the radar.
Sure but that’s a small group and the dating result is the same. I think it’s also good to phase out the term “subhuman” since it’s never the fault of the person that they were born with such terrible genetics. We should show pity towards those really ugly people

plus you underestimate how much disgust the average below average male evokes in women jfl

Sure but that’s a small group and the dating result is the same. I think it’s also good to phase out the term “subhuman” since it’s never the fault of the person that they were born with such terrible genetics. We should show pity towards those really ugly people

plus you underestimate how much disgust the average below average male evokes in women jfl
I see your point regarding the term subhuman, so I won't be using that.

But to stay on track, I think where we disagree on is what my scale is measuring. You are right in that your average trucel will slay the same amount as your average truecel (the amount being zero.) But I'm also factoring in how looks factor social status too.

And I'm not underestimating the disgust the average women feels when talking to an average man. But as long as the average guy minds his own business and doesn't try approach, most women won't give a fuck about him. Same can't be said for truecels.

• +1
Reactions: Deleted member 13409
I see your point regarding the term subhuman, so I won't be using that.

But to stay on track, I think where we disagree on is what my scale is measuring. You are right in that your average trucel will slay the same amount as your average truecel (the amount being zero.) But I'm also factoring in how looks factor social status too.

And I'm not underestimating the disgust the average women feels when talking to an average man. But as long as the average guy minds his own business and doesn't try approach, most women won't give a fuck about him. Same can't be said for truecels.
Maybe a different scale for status vs dating. Dating scale could have as small as 3 tiers, ugly normal and chad. Social one could have over a dozen tiers because race, height, face are all factors in social acceptance and how people treat you both men and women.

• +1
Reactions: Stevensmithgerard and Deleted member 14262
-Wheat Waffles YT

Inconsistent Numbers 🔢

Virtue Signalling 😇

5, 6, 7

Context 🗣️

Subjectivity 👩👨

Looks are subjective.

5, 6, 7 --> 8/9

Alternative 👌

Chad
-shy becomes cute
-intimacy on demand

Normie

Sub-5
-Confidence is arrogance

This three tier rating is also flawed. Even tho, O'pry has Chad tier face it will be over for him if he is 5'4" - an SMV scale is more appropriate than this three tier scale. Read my thread here

• Hmm...
Reactions: thecel