Thoughts on just building muscle with the compound lifts ?

Bonesbonesbonesbone

Bonesbonesbonesbone

T-1000 Frame Mogger
Thoughts on lifting weights and building muscle by only using the Bench Press, Squat, Deadlift, Overhead Press, Barbell Rows, Pull Ups, and Barbell Curls ?

Btw you can do all of those exercises with just a power rack (comes with the pull up bar) , barbell, bench, and a deadlift platform which likely costs only $1000 totally and build one at home.

Most of the compounds hit every muscle group, small muscles such as the side delts, upper chest, rear delts, traps, triceps are hit in all the lifts i just mentioned, Overhead Press hits your entire shoulder girdle/ 3 heads of the delts, the Bench hits all areas of the pecs, the deadlift plays a role in the traps stabilizing isometrically, and the bench or Overhead press hits your triceps. The rear delts is worked in every pulling excerise.

• +1
Reactions: Several. and treezy456
Yea thats good for athleticism too. These lifts are going to get you really strong as well

You will stress your body for no reason and age yourself. Trash like deadlift and OHP wont even build good muscle, cuz they will be limited by your grip and core (assuming standing OHP).

• +1
Reactions: primqwe, thugmaxxer2, Clqs and 1 other person
Yea thats good for athleticism too. These lifts are going to get you really strong as well
Those alone can build muscle, athletics, power, strength and endurance. Many believe you need to do lots of isolations to get jacked but really what gets most jacked from isolations is roids, since isolations is no stimilus for a natty to build lean athletic muscle.

You will stress your body for no reason and age yourself. Trash like deadlift and OHP wont even build good muscle, cuz they will be limited by your grip and core (assuming standing OHP).
Grip strength adaptations = mogger

Cannot you train grip in isolation?
Well whats the point of training it in isolation when all the compounds train your grip directly while using other major muscle groups.

Well whats the point of training it in isolation when all the compounds train your grip directly while using other major muscle groups.
It is like jack of all trades master of none. You fatigue too much, get too tired, too stressed, need better recovery, etc. You train many muscles, but only a few "optimally" (like grip muscles if they are your bottleneck) and the others kinda slack off until you move to the other lifts.

Though I am not a bodybuilder, nor do I have a good physique, so yeah. Not that most successful bodybuilders are good looking too, they looksmin actually. The deadlift, standing OHP and barbell squat I see many downsides for sure though and I have seen many people agree. Talking about hypertrophy and lifting to look good only, idgaf about strength and sports ability (foids barely care about these).

Edit: you will see people add things like straps and they lift more and get better results with the muscles they want to target in the first place. Or they switch barbell squats for hack squats, etc. These compound exercises are often limited (bottlenecked) by other muscles you do not care about when it comes to looks.

Last edited:
  • JFL
Reactions: raleqtambrobret