Thoughts on Mini Chin Wing after Sliding Genioplasty

D

Dropdown666

Iron
Hello all,

I (m, 27) have a slight overbite and therefore a receding chin and lower jaw. My upper jaw is normal. The overbite is so slight due to braces in my youth that my insurance (Europe) would not pay for jaw surgery.

I have no functional problems, however my profile or lower third bothers me. The best correction would probably be Bimax or BSSO. However, this is too invasive for me and Im moneymaxxing and cannot wear braces in my job. I therefore opted for a Sliding Genioplasty a year ago (~8mm) which is a significant improvement to my chin. However, I am missing a little projection of the lower jaw. I have my optimal profile when I push the lower jaw slightly forward. I saw in a video by Eppley that this effect is achievable with a Chin Wing, which sounds attractive to me since I want to avoid Implants. I'm especially considering a Mini Chin Wing, because I'm happy with my jaw angles and want to minimize surgery risks (nerve damage, masseter muscle..).

My questions:
- Is a Mini Chin Wing after SG even possible? I think it should, since the bone heals and also a second SG is possible..
- Does anyone here have experience with a (Mini) Chin Wing after an SG?

• +1
Reactions: Elvisandreaa, ChristianChad and justbentbro
I think the main risk is that it can make your mentolabial fold too deep after repeated advancements. Did you consider fillers? I heard it last long enough on the chin (contrary to jaw angles for example).

I have the same problem as you to be honest. I had a genioplasty but I would still like more advancement. BSSO would be the ideal solution but I am an oldcel and I don't want to wait another year.

• +1
Reactions: ChristianChad, Elvisandreaa, Chinlet Ascension and 1 other person
No, don't do chin wing, it creates a lack of ramus definition, and other members have already pointed this out. A sliding genio with a farther back cut is all you need, everything else is depende on BSSO for jaw advancement.

• +1
Reactions: ChristianChad and Dropdown666
No, don't do chin wing, it creates a lack of ramus definition, and other members have already pointed this out. A sliding genio with a farther back cut is all you need, everything else is depende on BSSO for jaw advancement.
Hey thanks for your reply.

Isn't a mini Chin wing a SG with a farther back cut? According to my understanding they don't touch the back part of the Mandible, so problems with ramus definition or masseter muscle shouldn't occur.

• +1
Reactions: ChristianChad
Mini chin wing is different from chin wing. It is basically an extended genioplasty but it stops before the mandibular angle. I agree that a full chin wing is risky and much more questionable.

Miniwing

Genio

Last edited:
  • +1
Reactions: Sal, Deleted member 8988 and Dropdown666
I think the main risk is that it can make your mentolabial fold too deep after repeated advancements. Did you consider fillers? I heard it last long enough on the chin (contrary to jaw angles for example).

I have the same problem as you to be honest. I had a genioplasty but I would still like more advancement. BSSO would be the ideal solution but I am an oldcel and I don't want to wait another year.
Hey, thanks for your reply.

Ive also thought about the mentolabial fold. As far as I know this problem occures especially if you go for horicontal augmentation only. If you go horicontal + vertical it helps to diminish a deep fold. My SG was vertical + horicontal and didn't create a significant fold. That's why I'd also consider horicontal + vertical mini Chin Wing.

And fillers might be a good solution but I'm looking for something permanent. But thanks for that hint.

Last edited:
  • +1
Reactions: ChristianChad and NoPainNoChick
Hey thanks for your reply.

Isn't a mini Chin wing a SG with a farther back cut? According to my understanding they don't touch the back part of the Mandible, so problems with ramus definition or masseter muscle shouldn't occur.
Mini chin wing is different from chin wing. It is basically an extended genioplasty but it stops before the mandibular angle. I agree that a full chin wing is risky and much more questionable.

View attachment 1791503
View attachment 1791504

Most surgeons don't even list extended nor mini chin wing, but simply chin wing. As I was saying a normal genio but with a more extended cut (which is still named sliding genio) will be the better option.

I've done genio with an extended cut and even after searching chin wing before and after's for a long time, genio seems to produce overall better results, even my surgeon said that normal sliding genio (with customized cut site for every patient) is the best option in comparison to chin wing. I get the the point that having a mini chin wing would be to improve chin couple with jaw side projection, but even from my own experience, an extended genio is enough since it scrapes a bit of jaw and helps create a more masculine frontal view.

• +1
Reactions: Tallooksmaxxer, ChristianChad, Dropdown666 and 1 other person
Most surgeons don't even list extended nor mini chin wing, but simply chin wing. As I was saying a normal genio but with a more extended cut (which is still named sliding genio) will be the better option.

I've done genio with an extended cut and even after searching chin wing before and after's for a long time, genio seems to produce overall better results, even my surgeon said that normal sliding genio (with customized cut site for every patient) is the best option in comparison to chin wing. I get the the point that having a mini chin wing would be to improve chin couple with jaw side projection, but even from my own experience, an extended genio is enough since it scrapes a bit of jaw and helps create a more masculine frontal view.
Your right - the term "mini chin wing" is rarely used among surgerons.

Here is a ct scan of a mini ching compared to a normal chin wing: https://imgur.io/a/GKdcGKK

Is the bone cut of the mini Chin wing the same as the one you are referring to with the extended sliding genioplasty?

• +1
Hello all,

I (m, 27) have a slight overbite and therefore a receding chin and lower jaw. My upper jaw is normal. The overbite is so slight due to braces in my youth that my insurance (Europe) would not pay for jaw surgery.

I have no functional problems, however my profile or lower third bothers me. The best correction would probably be Bimax or BSSO. However, this is too invasive for me and Im moneymaxxing and cannot wear braces in my job. I therefore opted for a Sliding Genioplasty a year ago (~8mm) which is a significant improvement to my chin. However, I am missing a little projection of the lower jaw. I have my optimal profile when I push the lower jaw slightly forward. I saw in a video by Eppley that this effect is achievable with a Chin Wing, which sounds attractive to me since I want to avoid Implants. I'm especially considering a Mini Chin Wing, because I'm happy with my jaw angles and want to minimize surgery risks (nerve damage, masseter muscle..).

My questions:
- Is a Mini Chin Wing after SG even possible? I think it should, since the bone heals and also a second SG is possible..
Could you put pics of your genioplasty? before and after?

Your right - the term "mini chin wing" is rarely used among surgerons.

Here is a ct scan of a mini ching compared to a normal chin wing: https://imgur.io/a/GKdcGKK

Is the bone cut of the mini Chin wing the same as the one you are referring to with the extended sliding genioplasty?
The cut used in that min chin wing is like a 1cm further back than mine, but its essentially invariant in terms of final aesthetic results.

• +1
Reactions: Dropdown666
The cut used in that min chin wing is like a 1cm further back than mine, but its essentially invariant in terms of final aesthetic results.
Okey and do you have any visible bone step-offs? I've read that this might be a complication if you have bone cuts like this one.

• +1
Reactions: Timelessbrah
Hello all,

My questions:
ever heard of chin shield?

• +1
Okey and do you have any visible bone step-offs? I've read that this might be a complication if you have bone cuts like this one.
No I don't have, you can only feel it if you try to actively search for it, if somebody touches without paying attention it can't even be felt.

• +1
Are your teeth currently aligned? If so, you may not need braces for a bimax, or maybe only Invisalign for a short time after surgery. I had ccw trimax without braces because my teeth are aligned.

• +1
Reactions: ChristianChad and Dropdown666
ever heard of chin shield?
Hi, ive heard of it. I'm wondering whether you can have an extended chin shield osteomy (= mini chin shield osteomy).

• +1
Reactions: ChristianChad and Deleted member 8869
Hi, ive heard of it. I'm wondering whether you can have an extended chin shield osteomy (= mini chin shield osteomy).
Consult your surgeon !

Hello all,

My questions:
Trust me, if you have an overbite anyway, just get bsso. The recovery for chin wing will be just as bad. If you need ortho after just do Invisalign. Anyone who has an overbite plus desire for better projected mandible = BSSO hands down.

• +1
Interesting thread!

Trust me, if you have an overbite anyway, just get bsso. The recovery for chin wing will be just as bad. If you need ortho after just do Invisalign. Anyone who has an overbite plus desire for better projected mandible = BSSO hands down.
Your probably right. I will ask my surgeon about his opinion on BSSO. Braces are a Dealbreaker due to my job but Invisalign might be a solution.

My only concern is that my teeth are aligned right now. When the lower teeth arebrought forward by BSSO the upper teeth also need to come forward - Im not sure whether this can be done without surgery only with Invisalign. As @stevenashbaby mentioned, Bimax would be a solution in that case but this might be to invasive for me considering the risk / reward ratio.

Last edited:
Your probably right. I will ask my surgeon about his opinion on BSSO. Braces are a Dealbreaker due to my job but Invisalign might be a solution.

My only concern is that my teeth are aligned right now. When the lower teeth arebrought forward by BSSO the upper teeth also need to come forward - Im not sure whether this can be done without surgery only with Invisalign. As @stevenashbaby mentioned, Bimax would be a solution in that case but this might be to invasive for me considering the risk / reward ratio.
Oh I see, I thought when you moved your lower jaw forward then your teeth fit nicely. Ppl w big overbites usually don’t need to move the top teeth forward much, and just need refinements on the bite.