Tmj/tmd is causing my jaw to deviate

U

unknownmog

Iron
When I fully open my mouth, my jaw deviates slightly to the left which is a common symptom of Tmj/tmd and I don't know what to do. I also have clicking and a crackle sound in my ear. This is all on my left side (my stronger side) and I think it happened due to chewing, since I believe I chewed on it more throughout my life. Should I go to a dentist or other type of doctor? When I get there what do I say?

yep this is what happend to my jaw its fucked, its crooked now and clicks and deviates when I open it. Im planning to go to a ortho and see what they have to say. I want surgery so I would consult a surgeon after seeing what the ortho says. I heard tmj only gets worse. It fucks with my facial symmetry so I want to fix it asap. Even one eye is lower than the other

• +1
Reactions: Dontknowan
Go see a professional

• JFL
  • +1
Reactions: Allornothing and Jeww
yep this is what happend to my jaw its fucked, its crooked now and clicks and deviates when I open it. Im planning to go to a ortho and see what they have to say. I want surgery so I would consult a surgeon after seeing what the ortho says. I heard tmj only gets worse. It fucks with my facial symmetry so I want to fix it asap. Even one eye is lower than the other

Do you have any pain, inability to open mouth fully, or anything worse?

I had this a few years ago and just sleeping on the opposite side helped a lot

Do you have any pain, inability to open mouth fully, or anything worse?
So my jaw got messed up during puberty idk if it grew wrong or I got hit in the face. But I had my jaw lock up multiple times lots of pain. My parents never got it checked out which now looking back I'm pissed at.

Over the years from 14 to like probably 18 it stopped hurting and stabilized probably made some extra tissue where there shouldn't be and stuff now I don't have any pain but my jaw clicks on command and deviates. My lips,chin,jaw are slightly crooked and my eyes and eyebrows are not perfectly symmetrical. I belive its because of the tmj my face was symmetrical at 14.

Reading through anecdotes I belive that it will only get worse. Your body compensates for the imbalance in your jaw pulling tissues. Some people with tmj even have uneven shoulders or hips. I would get it checked out as soon as possible it is treatable

So my jaw got messed up during puberty idk if it grew wrong or I got hit in the face. But I had my jaw lock up multiple times lots of pain. My parents never got it checked out which now looking back I'm pissed at.

Over the years from 14 to like probably 18 it stopped hurting and stabilized probably made some extra tissue where there shouldn't be and stuff now I don't have any pain but my jaw clicks on command and deviates. My lips,chin,jaw are slightly crooked and my eyes and eyebrows are not perfectly symmetrical. I belive its because of the tmj my face was symmetrical at 14.

Reading through anecdotes I belive that it will only get worse. Your body compensates for the imbalance in your jaw pulling tissues. Some people with tmj even have uneven shoulders or hips. I would get it checked out as soon as possible it is treatable
I luckily don’t have any pain/haven’t had any trauma to my face at all so I hope that this is some pretty minor tmj that could be fixed semi easily

I recently started sleeping on my back so maybe it’ll help
Yeah, i still have it btw but the asymmetry was pretty much fixed by sleeping on the opposite side. Every time i fully open my mouth it feels like it's going to lock, i think the best bet is to see a professional. It won't go away on it's own in my experience anyway.

I luckily don’t have any pain/haven’t had any trauma to my face at all so I hope that this is some pretty minor tmj that could be fixed semi easily
I mean if its not painful or cosmetically noticable I think it shouldn't be that much of an issue lots of people live with it but you should still look into it because it could get worse, especially if you are young. I think mine is genetic because my sister and mom both have jaw issues.

• +1
Reactions: unknownmog
Yeah, i still have it btw but the asymmetry was pretty much fixed by sleeping on the opposite side. Every time i fully open my mouth it feels like it's going to lock, i think the best bet is to see a professional. It won't go away on it's own in my experience anyway.
Okay thanks

• +1
Reactions: SensitiveYoungMan
Go to an orthodontist, find out what causes your tmjd, if it‘s caused by malocclusion or asymmetry get jaw surgery, if it‘s bc of muscular issues, therapeut it with exercises at home and correcting wrong habits, might wanna visit an neurologist aswell but thats rare.

• +1
Reactions: unknownmog
I mean if its not painful or cosmetically noticable I think it shouldn't be that much of an issue lots of people live with it but you should still look into it because it could get worse, especially if you are young. I think mine is genetic because my sister and mom both have jaw issues.
I’m pretty young, barely 16, so I really want to fix this so it doesn’t become a big issue

There is the balloon method too which vastly improves tmj shortterm and even corrects posture, which proves that posture is important in fixing tmj aswell

I’m pretty young, barely 16, so I really want to fix this so it doesn’t become a big issue
Yea you're young so I would get it looked at. It could even be an easy fix such as braces and maybe a orthodontic device. Once you get older your bones arent as malleable and surgery is the only option.

Yea you're young so I would get it looked at. It could even be an easy fix such as braces and maybe a orthodontic device. Once you get older your bones arent as malleable and surgery is the only option.
Surgery is his only option already. Trust me i started with 16 too