To those who have gotten jaw surgery abroad

P

parmesanrind

Iron
Hello all! :)

My dentist has brought up the possibility of jaw surgery to treat my TMD and sleep problems, however the lack of an aesthetic eye and sufficiently addressing of cosmetic concerns among jaw surgeons in my country has me considering pursuing bimax abroad instead. I am currenly considering Dr. Mario Pagnoni in Italy.

The logistics of doing this worries me—for those of you how did get jaw surgery abroad, what was the process like? In addition to any and all helpful anecdotes, I would also appreciate a reply to any of the following questions:
  • How long in an appropriate time to stay in whatever country you get surgery in? Is one month too much, too little?
  • How were post-op visits handled? Did any orthodontists or jaw surgeons follow up back home? Is there a lot of travel back and forth involved in the process?
  • What miscellaneous costs were there? I’m referring mostly to medical ones, e.g. hospital stay, pain medication, etc.
  • In case of complications, how are they handled? Especially in the case of ones arising after returning home. Did you travel back to the surgeons or get help home? Which is preferable?
Any tidbit of knowledge, even not pertaining to my questions, regarding bimaxillary surgery abroad would be very appreciated!

• +1
Reactions: ccwarrior
2-3 weeks of post-op visits with the jaw surgeon for me then should be fine to go back.

Misc costs are travel, airbnb, food and deliveries, mouthwash, ubers, and some medical supplies.

In case of a mild infection a local doctor can probably handle but for more significant complications you might need to go back to your doctor.

• +1
Reactions: Fishy
As far as Pagnoni is concerned, every medical miscellaneous is included in the bill : medecine, clinic stay,etc...

You'll have to pay for your transportation between the clinic and your hotel room/ airbnb though.

Try to get something close to the clinic. Roma is a very broad city and comuting can be quite difficult, especially due to their piss poor public transportation network.

2 weeks to 3 weeks is more than enought for a bimax. You'll get 2 to 3 post-op visits directly in his office in the clinic before heading back home.

• +1
Reactions: Fishy