Training neck with a neck harness

D

Deleted member 3328

Kraken
Anyone here uses a neck harness to train his neck?

Is it worth investing in a neck harness or is it enough to do exercises just with loading plates on your head?

Amazon product ASIN B073B6Q657

Last edited:
  • +1
Reactions: Deleted member 6401 and Incoming
Yes, but you can only use it for neck extensions.

I bought a neck harness like the one you linked because i found very hard to do neck extensions without it, it makes it a lot easier tbh.

• +1
Reactions: Deleted member 6401, CristianT and Deleted member 3328
Yes, but you can only use it for neck extensions.

I bought a neck harness like the one you linked because i found very hard to do neck extensions without it, it makes it a lot easier tbh.

so you would say it's worth it?

• +1
Reactions: Deleted member 6401 and Chadelite
I got neckflex

• +1
Reactions: Deleted member 6401 and Deleted member 3328
  • +1
idk

Th

I have a neck machine like this one and it works great.

• JFL
  • +1
Reactions: Deleted member 6401, Magnesium, Deleted and 2 others
have you seen any notable neck growth?
Yeah but it might be just muscle memory as i already neck trained years before

• +1
Reactions: Deleted member 6401, Htobrother, Deleted member 1849 and 1 other person
so you would say it's worth it?
yes i have a harness bro it's OP but the won i bought the weights don't fit it at all i have shit weights at home gym weights will fit it

• +1
I dont think that would really change much. Could definitely be something good to use but if your neck isnt where you want it now you just need more weight/more time spent training your neck. It just seems that, with strength training, new devices and shit are always cool, but ultimately you can accomplish what you want with what you already have and I dont see the point in buying something I don't need

• +1
Reactions: Deleted member 6401, YoungRichNigga and Deleted member 3328
I dont think that would really change much. Could definitely be something good to use but if your neck isnt where you want it now you just need more weight/more time spent training your neck. It just seems that, with strength training, new devices and shit are always cool, but ultimately you can accomplish what you want with what you already have and I dont see the point in buying something I don't need
I wasn't directly training neck all until now that I learned about the importance of neck pill.

I want to enlarge it as much as I can, this is why I'm wondering whether I should get this or not.

• +1
Reactions: Deleted member 6401 and SkinjobCatastrophe
I wasn't directly training neck all until now that I learned about the importance of neck pill.

I want to enlarge it as much as I can, this is why I'm wondering whether I should get this or not.
Yeah it would definitely be good, especially if you do up and down neck extension with it on and add extra weights when you need. Getting that and something with a flexible band like in this video would be everything you need for really good neck training

• +1
Definitely worth getting. Once you move on to the higher weights you can't help but get some support from your lats, arms and your abs. With the harness, you can completely isolate your neck and get no assistance from other muscle groups. I picked my harness off Amazon for £10 ($12.50). I've worked my way up to 27.5KG (60lbs) for 30 rep sets on extensions and never had any trouble with it.

Having said that, don't get too optimistic about potential neck gains. I guess it varies from person-to-person but my genetic potential for neck doesn't seem to be that great. I have gained just over an inch in circumference after training it 3x a week for the past 4 months. After hitting a main muscle group, I will leave 10min at the end to train neck (2 sets of front curls and 2 sets of extensions). Your strength will go up crazy fast but Jeff Nippard and BetaDestiny seemed to have hyped up the potential for growth. They make it seem like you can add 2-3 inches in just a few months when for most this is not realistic.

I'm gonna keep training neck anyway. See if I can get an additional inch by the end of the year... atm I measure around 16.3 inches. Going to push for 17 inches...

• +1
Definitely worth getting. Once you move on to the higher weights you can't help but get some support from your lats, arms and your abs. With the harness, you can completely isolate your neck and get no assistance from other muscle groups. I picked my harness off Amazon for £10 ($12.50). I've worked my way up to 27.5KG (60lbs) for 30 rep sets on extensions and never had any trouble with it.

Having said that, don't get too optimistic about potential neck gains. I guess it varies from person-to-person but my genetic potential for neck doesn't seem to be that great. I have gained just over an inch in circumference after training it 3x a week for the past 4 months. After hitting a main muscle group, I will leave 10min at the end to train neck (2 sets of front curls and 2 sets of extensions). Your strength will go up crazy fast but Jeff Nippard and BetaDestiny seemed to have hyped up the potential for growth. They make it seem like you can add 2-3 inches in just a few months when for most this is not realistic.

I'm gonna keep training neck anyway. See if I can get an additional inch by the end of the year... atm I measure around 16.3 inches. Going to push for 17 inches...
You do neck training alongside traps?

Do you do it on the same day as any other muscle groups?

• +1
Reactions: Deleted member 6401
When I was lifting, I was using a neck harness 3x a week (I have the spud inc. harness). I went from 15 - 16.5in circumference, but I was also loading the hardness with anywhere from 50-60lbs -- which I do NOT recommend, it's a great way to injure yourself with that much weight. I would also try to hit all sides.

• +1
You do neck training alongside traps?

Do you do it on the same day as any other muscle groups?

Yes, I got shoulders + bicep day today actually. I will just do shrugs for traps but deadlifts on a back day have also helped growth. Neck recovers super fast so you can train it on a particular day with traps or any other muscle group...

tbh it's probably possible when you're just starting out to train it up to 5x a week but I would just be careful with ensuring you stretch for a few minutes, sleep in a comfortable position (ideally without a pillow and on your back) and every once in a while check to see you are not developing any forward head tilt. Strengthening the neck muscles should be beneficial for posture as long as you get a good balance between doing extensions and curls.

• +1
Yes, I got shoulders + bicep day today actually. I will just do shrugs for traps but deadlifts on a back day have also helped growth. Neck recovers super fast so you can train it on a particular day with traps or any other muscle group...

tbh it's probably possible when you're just starting out to train it up to 5x a week but I would just be careful with ensuring you stretch for a few minutes, sleep in a comfortable position (ideally without a pillow and on your back) and every once in a while check to see you are not developing any forward head tilt. Strengthening the neck muscles should be beneficial for posture as long as you get a good balance between doing extensions and curls.
thanks for the helpful advice

• +1
Reactions: Deleted member 6401
When I was lifting, I was using a neck harness 3x a week (I have the spud inc. harness). I went from 15 - 16.5in circumference, but I was also loading the hardness with anywhere from 50-60lbs -- which I do NOT recommend, it's a great way to injure yourself with that much weight. I would also try to hit all sides.

You can reach that weight comfortably with linear progression. I defo wouldn't recommend jumping straight to 50lbs. I started with 22lbs and slowly added weight every few weeks. Haven't had any issues whatsoever. There's a guy on YouTube called MikeTheMachine who has trained neck for 23yrs and never got injured. He can do working sets with 150lbs. The key is making slow jumps and taking precautions...

• +1
You can reach that weight comfortably with linear progression. I defo wouldn't recommend jumping straight to 50lbs. I started with 22lbs and slowly added weight every few weeks. Haven't had any issues whatsoever. There's a guy on YouTube called MikeTheMachine who has trained neck for 23yrs and never got injured. He can do working sets with 150lbs. The key is making slow jumps and taking precautions...

Yeah, you can work up to it similar to how you don't start out benching 225. I just never moved past 60lbs, because I always felt just one rep too fast or fucking up = game over, but I'm a bit paranoid about hanging weight on my neck despite training it all the time.

• +1
Nah you don’t need this ngl

• Woah
  • +1
  • +1
Reactions: Deleted member 6401 and mido the slayer
I have tried the youtube neck training tutorial you linked, it is great, just feels a bit to easy for me
Oh damn man

I almost died when I did it lol
Maybe because I haven’t trained my neck ever

• +1
Oh damn man

I almost died when I did it lol
Maybe because I haven’t trained my neck ever
Yeah I go to the gym about 6 times a week so this is probably why my neck was already somewhat developed lol

• +1
Reactions: Deleted member 6401 and mido the slayer