Turning 18 in slightly over a year, but should have 4,000 + Money I save this year. I want to learn about stocks/investments.

belisa14

belisa14

Bronze
Grandmother saved 4,000 for me which I can access at 18.
I also have two part time jobs right now. So I make around 480-640 a month. Will probably drop to around 480 from now on because I have so much going on (at school 5x a week) so I’m probably gonna work less.

Wasted most of the money I made from September on HGH, clothes (which I needed) and other stuff.
So I plan to save from now on.

Won’t be getting a car because it seems like a stupid investment.

^^
Pretty unimportant but read this please,
I don’t expect to make loads of money where I don’t need to work, so don’t say stuff like “learn a trade bro!!” Although good advice. But I want to invest the money I saved, and potentially put it into stocks, or something that will give be passive (even marginal gains) from 18 onwards. I want to be comfortable I guess, considering both of my parents where, and are in debt.

Any tips on how to get started? What to read? Who to listen to? What to watch out for?

From what I’ve seen stocks seem to be pretty safe? At least at surface level, for example; war = stock goes up for military production companies.

Uhh thanks

• +1
Reactions: med, Sny, LooksThinker and 6 others
I also have two part time jobs right now. So I make around 480-640 a month. Will probably drop to around 480 from now on because I have so much going on (at school 5x a week) so I’m probably gonna work less.

Wasted most of the money I made from September on HGH, clothes (which I needed) and other stuff.

^^
I don’t expect to make loads of money where I don’t need to work, so don’t say stuff like “learn a trade bro!!” Although good advice. But I want to invest the money I saved, and potentially put it into stocks, or something that will give be passive (even marginal gains) from 18 onwards. I want to be comfortable I guess, considering both of my parents where, and are in debt.

Any tips on how to get started? What to read? Who to listen to? What to watch out for?

From what I’ve seen stocks seem to be pretty safe? At least at surface level, for example; war = stock goes up for military production companies.

Uhh thanks
Autistic fairytales u gonna be homeless

• +1
  • JFL
Reactions: the boss, wishIwasSalludon, mogstars and 7 others
Invest the money in surgerys who tf invests money in stocks. I only buy csgo cases, saving money for surgerys or i buy meat

• +1
  • JFL
  • Ugh..
Reactions: mogstars, TheBrownOne, cheerio and 7 others

^^

Uhh thanks
I’m extremely average IQ, maybe even below for context.

• JFL
Reactions: capybara
Index funds (FTSE or S&P) are the saftest and most secure. Investing in individual stocks is way too risky unless you’re a professional.

• +1
Reactions: AngryShortMale and capybara
Index funds (FTSE or S&P) are the saftest and most secure. Investing in individual stocks is way too risky unless you’re a professional.
Yeah true. But aren’t there no brainer investments I could do? Like putting money into companies based off of current events and U.S government investments.

• +1
Invest the money in surgerys who tf invests money in stocks. I only buy csgo cases, saving money for surgerys or i buy meat
based answer

• +1
  • JFL
Reactions: LooksThinker, capybara and lestoa
lol. I’d rather invest and make more money to put into surgery. I can basically get a free rhino at 18 anyways from NHS.

• Woah
There all a risk. The safest are the ones I listed (standard index funds). Good luck trying to predict the market

• +1
Reactions: AngryShortMale, capybara and belisa14
I used to go on csgo gambling sites and lost like 300 when I was 15. Was really fun tho

• JFL
I used to go on csgo gambling sites and lost like 300 when I was 15. Was really fun tho
fr hahahahahahahah I picked up a karambit knife when I was 13 and from then on the addiction started :lul: :lul: :lul: :lul: but dont do it, its so funny tho Because my CSGO skins will pay for my Jaw Angle implants hahahahahahhahahah

• JFL
Reactions: LooksThinker and capybara

^^

Uhh thanks
I lost tons of money in the stock market trying to day trade like a fucking idiot when I could have used that money to just buy a nice PC and make money off a skill involving that PC like coding, editing, modding whatever the fuck.

If you WANT to get into stocks, the safest thing to do that would guarantee returns over a long period of time is to start out investing $100 per month into ticker symbol SPY or VTI. These etfs return 10% on average per year.

Once you get your first big boy full time job you can ramp it up to $500 per month in VTI or SPY. Doing this for 10 years will grow your account to $100k by age 30 just by setting aside $500 a month. If you cope and say $100k is too little, just remember that 45% of Americans don’t even have $1000 in savings.

If you stick to buying $500 a month in SPY or VTI stock, by age 50 you will have a $2 million dollar portfolio.

This would require opening a brokerage account at a big name company like Charles Schwab, Fidelity, Robinhood, etc in order to buy stock.

Very boring but safe strategy to do in stocks.

• +1
Reactions: Deleted member 61903, AngryShortMale, capybara and 1 other person
u niggas be actually livin at hardcore difficulty, where r u from?

• +1
giv me ur money i will invest for u

• JFL
  • +1
Reactions: breadyl and capybara
This site is not a good place to ask money related questions, just saying.

• +1
Reactions: AngryShortMale, zura and capybara
Invest in yourself, get invisalign or sth, paper trade fake money to learn the ropes

• +1
Invest in looksmaxxing + building scamming and frauding empire which is only chance to make money

• JFL
Yeah true. But aren’t there no brainer investments I could do? Like putting money into companies based off of current events and U.S government investments.
a new government regulation or some scandal could crash the stock so no. You can spice it up with gold/silver/platinum, bonds, a (tiny bit) of crypto and real estate if etf is too boring for you though. Or lose all your money trading options :3 I’d buy microsoft calls if I wasn’t broke.

Sp500 seems appropriate here

• +1
Reactions: belisa14

^^

Uhh thanks
Nigga no one has became rich by putting money on stocks the rich ppl put money in stocks and then become richer you need very big capital to become rich from stocks if you invest 300 400 dolars you would get like 20 30 dollars profit i would suggest invest money on yourself (educate yourself abt buisness and all and then start one)

Nigga no one has became rich by putting money on stocks the rich ppl put money in stocks and then become richer you need very big capital to become rich from stocks if you invest 300 400 dolars you would get like 20 30 dollars profit i would suggest invest money on yourself (educate yourself abt buisness and all and then start one)
Never said I wanted to get rich off of it. Please read lol. Just want to make a little money with my savings

• +1
Reactions: AngryShortMale and drag
To be honest I think you should spend that money to enjoy your life. Reap the benefits from social opportunities you get by being so young. Travel around. You can make it cheap by staying in hostels and not spending money on dumb touristy stuff like overpriced restaurants and tourist traps. There you can meet loads of women too. Investing in a good hobby is great too, let's say rock climbing. You get a sick skill that most people will find interesting and you will also meet cool people.

If you really want to make a little bit of money of the side I think you are better off by learning some sort of a skill. Eventually that should give you enough return to make proper investments. It's hard to invest 4k and to make a worthwhile return unless you have something specific in mind. If you're in university, you could get a part time job that isn't waiting tables, washing pots or working the till at retail. I know some people who did a bit of strimming by asking neighbours. You could flip shit online. If you got a niche interest, you could try starting a YouTube channel to cover that and build it up over time. There's higher risk opportunities too but you can probably guess what that entails.

Last edited:
  • +1
Reactions: LooksThinker
To be honest I think you should spend that money to enjoy your life. Reap the benefits from social opportunities you get by being so young. Travel around. You can make it cheap by staying in hostels and not spending money on dumb touristy stuff like overpriced restaurants and tourist traps. There you can meet loads of women too. Investing in a good hobby is great too, let's say rock climbing. You get a sick skill that most people will find interesting and you will also meet cool people.

If you really want to make a little bit of money of the side I think you are better off by learning some sort of a skill. Eventually that should give you enough return to make proper investments. It's hard to invest 4k and to make a worthwhile return unless you have something specific in mind. If you're in university, you could get a part time job that isn't waiting tables, washing pots or working the till at retail. I know some people who did a bit of strimming by asking neighbours. You could flip shit online. If you got a niche interest, you could try starting a YouTube channel to cover that and build it up over time. There's higher risk opportunities too but you can probably guess what that entails.
Not in uni yet and I have 2 part time
Jobs. I kind of want to start fighting again, but I’m giga insecure so I kind of just want to improve physique/face before dedicating to sport. Being insecure also fucks me socially.

ironic that you say rock climbing, unironically half the shit you said in here was my dads life lol. He went round Europe rock climbing, surfing, and snow boarding travelling around with women. He said that I should probably start to enjoy myself instead of working (along with school) before he passed.

• +1
Reactions: Deleted member 61903
First go into a good uni bro and choose a good career. Then moneymaxx in your career field.

When you enter adulthood you're gonna realize that 10 grand is jack.

• JFL
  • +1
Reactions: LooksThinker, Patient A and finn899
As someone who is really really interested in economics and psychology, please don't do anything more than putting some money to some snp500 index (like vanguard value index).

The attention and focus of trying to time the market and pick individual stocks is not worth it unless you have 50k$ or 100k$, even then it's questionable.

Just put some money to some stocks index or saving account and don't think about it.

What I would do is this:

2000$ in savings account -> 8$ per month given 5% yearly (until they start cutting rates)
2000$ in stocks -> you will average ~16$ per month with risk of losing big part of it

So small amount of money it's not worth even to spend time thinking about it.

What's worth thinking about at your stage of life is how to maximize your earnings. Do you plan on getting valid degree? You could spend this 4000$ on your living expenses so you would not need to work part time job while in university and you could focus on studies.

^^

Uhh thanks
Number 1 advice is invest it for yourself. 4K is nothing in terms of investment, maybe save 1.5K for that.

This.

• +1
Reactions: Deleted member 30037
).

The attention and focus of trying to time the market and pick individual stocks is not worth it unless you have 50k$ or 100k$, even then it's questionable.
More like managing at least 5 million.
if one beats the market with 2% through efforts. Than one made an extra 100.000 usd. Which is then the same as a top 8% of salary workers

my father took my trust fund when i reached 18, fucking sucks. i had 3.5k saved up

^^

Uhh thanks
look into deep value investing

literally work construction

4,000 isnt enough for stocks