What are some secrets to building muscle when exercising?

Deleted member 10915

Deleted member 10915

Iron
I know that focusing on arms, chest and shoulders is very good for looking attractive and so is cutting sugars and drinking protein shakes. I want to know if anyone here has any tips that most people havent thought about.

• +1
Reactions: Deleted member 7806
mind muscle connection

• +1
Reactions: PYT, court monarch777, Effortless and 1 other person
16-20 rep range is ideal for building muscle

People cope with 8-12 reps

Cardio is underrated

• +1
  • Love it
Reactions: RecessedPrettyboy, Deleted member 6873 and Deleted member 10915
Progressive overload

• +1
Reactions: Deleted member 10915

• JFL
  • +1
Reactions: Mewton, thekurdishprince, patricknodixon and 2 others
do it until your fibers start to burst, it's all about how many fibers you can destroy in a workout

• +1
Reactions: Deleted member 10782 and Deleted member 10915
I also might start swimming soon, is that a good idea?

there are no secrets; just principles that people dont apply consistently

progressive overload being the most important one.

• +1
Reactions: Mewton and Deleted member 10915
there are no secrets; just principles that people dont apply consistently

progressive overload being the most important one.
I feel like with most things, the conventional view is that there are no secrets but in fact there are things you can do that most people dont know about. I dont see why this would be different

• +1
Reactions: bysontallou
I feel like with most things, the conventional view is that there are no secrets but in fact there are things you can do that most people dont know about. I dont see why this would be different
You heard of the pareto principle? 80/20 yadda yadda.

Well it applies to strength training too; 80% of your results will come from 20% of the things you do. Just consistently and observantly applying Progressive Overload would put you ahead of 99% of gym-going people.

If you want to get an education, read the Nautilus Bulletins. Well worth the time, because not only are they a joy to read, but they are probably the only publications ever in the fitness field written by someone who very likely had a genius level IQ.

Or, you can read "secrets" written every single week by high school drops out trying to sell you something, all over the internet.

• +1
Reactions: Ricochet and PYT
You heard of the pareto principle? 80/20 yadda yadda.

Well it applies to strength training too; 80% of your results will come from 20% of the things you do. Just consistently and observantly applying Progressive Overload would put you ahead of 99% of gym-going people.

If you want to get an education, read the Nautilus Bulletins. Well worth the time, because not only are they a joy to read, but they are probably the only publications ever in the fitness field written by someone who very likely had a genius level IQ.

Or, you can read "secrets" written every single week by high school drops out trying to sell you something, all over the internet.
How much and when are you supposed to progressively overload? Every week?

• +1
Reactions: Ricochet
Progressive overload. Here's a great tip. Get 1.25 lb weights. This you can always add 2.5 lbs to every compound lift you do. So you're slowly progressively overloading but not too much to fast.

How much and when are you supposed to progressively overload? Every week?
as often as you can. When you're a beginner progression is rapid and almost totally linear.

when you're advanced, you get stuck on plateaus for long periods.

PO can manifest in a number of ways; you could increase reps for a certain weight, or you could increase weight, or you could increase the time under tension (slowing down how fast you move through the reps), or you could decrease the rest periods, decrease the time between exercises and so on.

the simplest and most accountable way is to just attempt to increase the weight you are lifting every session. Doesn't need to be big, even a very tiny increment in weight every week adds up to massive gains over the course of a year.

• Love it
Reactions: PYT
as often as you can. When you're a beginner progression is rapid and almost totally linear.

when you're advanced, you get stuck on plateaus for long periods.

PO can manifest in a number of ways; you could increase reps for a certain weight, or you could increase weight, or you could increase the time under tension (slowing down how fast you move through the reps), or you could decrease the rest periods, decrease the time between exercises and so on.

the simplest and most accountable way is to just attempt to increase the weight you are lifting every session. Doesn't need to be big, even a very tiny increment in weight every week adds up to massive gains over the course of a year.
So 15 then 17 the next week then 19 the next isn't bad progression?

look at my tiktoks

So 15 then 17 the next week then 19 the next isn't bad progression?
Sure. As long as the weight is going up and you're giving it your maximum effort consistently, nothing to worry about.

The secret is your diet. Eat 4000 kcal/day to build muscle.