What are the chances of a mixed person having blue eyes?

Deleted member 15748

Deleted member 15748

Master
Blue eyes are a recessive trait. Meaning that both parents need to be carriers of the recessive allele, assuming that only one gene is responsible for eye colour which I'm not sure is the case as most traits are polygenetic.

So it would mean if a blue eyed white guy, and a mixed girl 50/50 black white that carried the blue eyed allele reproduced, what would be the chance of the kid having light eyes? 25%? That seems high considering the frequency is very low. Extremely rare that this combo happens.

For me for example, I was pretty much determined to get blue eyes even though one of my parents have dark eyes. According to 23 & me, I had a 99.9% chance of having a variation of blue eyes and 0.1% chance of having dark eyes. Predictably, my eyes are the lightest shade of blue possible.

It's not necessary it's just more likely if two blue eyed parents have kids. Around 50% for white parents

Images 6 16

• Woah
Reactions: Deleted member 16834
I imagine eye colour must be polygenetic since the frequency is so low, you must have to get a bunch of copies of recessive alleles and in order to have this its like flipping a coin and getting heads 15x in a row

It's not necessary it's just more likely if two blue eyed parents have kids. Around 50% .

View attachment 1617924
I think this graph assumes two whites reproducing, as when a black and white couple have a kid they have dark eyes 99.9% of the time

• +1
Reactions: Jason Voorhees
Blue eyes are a recessive trait. Meaning that both parents need to be carriers of the recessive allele, assuming that only one gene is responsible for eye colour which I'm not sure is the case as most traits are polygenetic.

So it would mean if a blue eyed white guy, and a mixed girl 50/50 black white that carried the blue eyed allele reproduced, what would be the chance of the kid having light eyes? 25%? That seems high considering the frequency is very low. Extremely rare that this combo happens.

For me for example, I was pretty much determined to get blue eyes even though one of my parents have dark eyes. According to 23 & me, I had a 99.9% chance of having a variation of blue eyes and 0.1% chance of having dark eyes. Predictably, my eyes are the lightest shade of blue possible.
Depends on the mix

I think this graph assumes two whites reproducing, as when a black and white couple have a kid they have dark eyes 99.9% of the time
Yes all studies done on this topic don't specify the parents race just their eye colour. Guess we'll never know.

It's not necessary it's just more likely if two blue eyed parents have kids. Around 50% for white parents

View attachment 1617924
its interesting cos obv brown eyed people can be carriers of the trait without it expressing itself phenotypically, but if you have blue eyes, it must mean you got zero copies of the dark eyes allele, which is very unlikely if you have any ethnic DNA AT ALL

• +1
Reactions: Jason Voorhees
2 blue eyed parents can have a kid with brown eyes
must be polygenetic then. I remember they used eye colour in school to explain dominant vs recessive alleles, but if that is possible it can't be that simple. the fact that even the most simplistic traits like eye colour are polygenetic just goes to show how impossibly difficult gene editing and designer babies are going to be. mess with one trait you don't know what the fuck other traits you are messing with

• +1
Reactions: WhiteGoodman
according to an article I just saw, they believe now at least 50 traits are responsible for eye colour, meaning that a mixed race person with light eyes is literally lottery statistics

must be polygenetic then. I remember they used eye colour in school to explain dominant vs recessive alleles, but if that is possible it can't be that simple. the fact that even the most simplistic traits like eye colour are polygenetic just goes to show how impossibly difficult gene editing and designer babies are going to be. mess with one trait you don't know what the fuck other traits you are messing with
It's possible to carry the dominant allele without expressing it. Good way to look is at grandparents. If you have a grandparent with brown eyes there's always a chance 2 blue eyed parents could have a brown-eyed child. Basically the more of the family have a certain colour the more likely the child will have said colour, for a mixed baby to have blue eyes you'd likely need to look at grandparents on both sides to see liklihood, and even then you carry 3 sets of alleles.

• +1
Reactions: Deleted member 15748

35%