What are the differences between Palatal Expanders, Invisalign and Braces?

tylerhunter97

tylerhunter97

Gold
Two weeks ago I went to my dentist to get my routine tooth cavity check. While at there I told him that I think my mouth is narrow and I want to get palatal expander. He told me that since I'm 22 years old palatal expansion wouldn't work on me but offered me braces for but upper and lower teeth. I also wanted palatal expansion for wider zygos as I remember a research on its results.

Does wider palate mean wider zygos?
What are the differences between Palatal expanders, invisalign and braces?
Will braces have the same effect on bones too or I'll just have a wider palate and smile?

• +1
Reactions: Hector
+1 need to know too

1. Palatal expander expands the width of your dental arch.

2. Invisalign molds your arch to a predetermined shape.

3. Braces shift the teeth dynamically according to how the individual teeth are attached to the wire.

Of these three, wire braces are the least likely to improve your face and the most likely to destroy it because their mechanism of action is practically opposite to an expander. If you want to widen your zygos, you should expand your palate. Maxillary skeletal expander will work even on adults, especially when paired with corticotomy

• +1
Reactions: AscendingHero, Deleted member 2846, tylerhunter97 and 1 other person

3. Braces shift the teeth dynamically according to how the individual teeth are attached to the wire.

Of these three, wire braces are the least likely to improve your face and the most likely to destroy it because their mechanism of action is practically opposite to an expander. If you want to widen your zygos, you should expand your palate. Maxillary skeletal expander will work even on adults, especially when paired with corticotomy
And the lower third expand at the same time? palate expander for a wider mouth ?

And the lower third expand at the same time? palate expander for a wider mouth ?
Depends on the speed of the expansion. In general the lower arch has no problem adapting to changes in the upper arch.

• +1
Reactions: AscendingHero, SayNoToRotting and tylerhunter97
Depends on the speed of the expansion. In general the lower arch has no problem adapting to changes in the upper arch.
ok thanks and for the mouth ?

• So Sad
  • +1
Reactions: SayNoToRotting and Deleted member 3702

if i want to slightly widen my smile, i should get invisalign? i already had braces

if i want to slightly widen my smile, i should get invisalign? i already had braces
Invisalign mostly straightens the teeth. For a visibly wider smile you should consider a palate expander. Tongue can be used to widen the smile too, since alveolar ridge remodels relatively easily.

• +1
Reactions: AscendingHero