What causes interest–talent misalignment?

thecel

thecel

narrow-orbits brachy-skull ogre
Why do some people like doing things that they suck at and dislike doing things that they’re good at?

E.g. I am a nerd of Chinese descent with a moderately high IQ. I’ve always got high scores on standardized tests at school, and I was in the Gifted & Talented program. But I hate going to class, studying, and doing academic work. All I wanna do as soon as I turn 18 is get drunk, do drugs, party all night, hit the club, have loads of sex, etc.

On the opposite side of the spectrum, there’re people with low IQs who wish to become doctors, scientists, engineers, etc. but unfortunately suck ass because they aren’t intelligent enough.

Is there anything that causes one’s interests and likes/dislikes to not fit with their talents and natural abilities?

Last edited:
  • +1
  • JFL
Reactions: LooksOrDeath, Prettyboy, AlwaysHaveQuestions and 9 others
cause u haven't done it bro

• +1
Reactions: Deleted member 19036, Deleted member 11748, ProAcktiv and 1 other person
yeah...that's me in a nutshell, I suck at what I love (physics research) and don't do what I'm good at (music/singing).

• Woah
Reactions: thecel
Why do some people like doing things that they suck at and dislike doing things that they’re good at?

E.g. I am a nerd of Chinese descent with a moderately high IQ. I’ve always got high scores on standardized tests at school, and I was in the Gifted & Talented program. But I hate going to class, studying, and doing academic work. All I wanna do as soon as I turn 18 is get drunk, do drugs, party all night, hit the club, have loads of sex, etc.
What does studying, programing, academic work have to do with drugs/partying/sex?????
The opposite would be to do sports, lift weights, join a basketball team, etc...

• +1
  • Hmm...
Reactions: LooksOrDeath, Deleted member 12827 and thecel
What does studying, programing, academic work have to do with drugs/partying/sex?????
The opposite would be to do sports, lift weights, join a basketball team, etc...

It’s not that one set of activities is the opposite of the other. It’s that I’m good at studying, programming, academics yet strongly prefer drugs, partying, and sex. I’m uninterested in intellectual stuff I’m naturally good at and really like normie/social stuff I’m naturally trash at.

• +1
Reactions: LooksOrDeath
It’s not that one set of activities is the opposite of the other. It’s that I’m good at studying, programming, academics yet strongly prefer drugs, partying, and sex. I’m uninterested in intellectual stuff I’m naturally good at and really like normie/social stuff I’m naturally trash at.
are you a UScel

• +1
Uh-huh....well, you probably want what you can't have or something.
You could quit your academic life and start taking drugs, organize and go to parties, have sex, you will get better the more you do these activities.

• +1
Reactions: LooksOrDeath and thecel
Probably because you've pretty much exhausted the validation that you can get from being a high IQ smart guy, while the party, drugs and sex domain is untouched.

• +1
Reactions: Deleted member 5892, LooksOrDeath and thecel
There are multiple factors but from my experience it's a matter of personality especially conscientiousness.

• +1
Reactions: Deleted member 11053 and thecel

On the opposite side of the spectrum, there’re people with low IQs who wish to become doctors, scientists, engineers, etc. but unfortunately suck ass because they aren’t intelligent enough.

Is there anything that causes one’s interests and likes/dislikes to not fit with their talents and natural abilities?
Bills. Um. I very seldom use the r-word. But I'll do it this one time only. Responsibilities. And family expectations. Or a crush on someone could cause a change of careers and whatnots.

What are these other 'nots,' perhaps you're wondering? Ugh. No idea.

• Woah
  • +1
Reactions: LooksOrDeath and thecel
You realize that these things are useless, and you just want to have fun like a normal person.

• +1
you already grasped that the intellectual realm is easy for you

there's something in us that make we more aware of what we lack ergo desiring it the most

it's not a misalignment but priority thing

• +1
  • Woah
Reactions: Deleted member 5892 and thecel
you already grasped that the intellectual realm is easy for you

it’s hard and not easy :feelswhy: I got put in my hot Stacy crush’s reading group in English class. 2 sub-Stacies are in it too. I didn’t talk to the 3 girls. Because I intensely worked to finish the assignment and pass the class. Meanwhile the girls did the work effortlessly and chatted most of the time. It never began for slowbraincels and slowhandwritingcels.

The quoted text below is about a totally different event in time. The Stacy below and the Stacy above are not the same person.

No! Did you not read? IQ is the main thing that hindered me. The dark curry and the Stacy began working together on the assignment, and it's apparent they both were concentrating on the task at hand, so I could not have joined the Stacy's convo by running my usual "game" as it distracts them from their work. The only way I could've talked to her is by bringing something to the table ACADEMICALLY. I lack the IQ the assignment needs.

Last edited:
  • So Sad
Reactions: Deleted member 18603
?

as a general rule everyone wants to party and no one wants to study

• JFL

Listen kid, no ones wants to study, everyone wants to have fun and fuck off. What separates the successful from the losers is discipline. You see, you probably don't want to do a high performing job which is completely fine. What you need to do is work on creating a career where you can live your desired lifestyle with minimum effort.

Also I am going to strongly advise against partying. This lifestyle always ends bad. Everyone I knew who did this wound up in rehab. You don't want to be another statistic. Have fun but keep some restraint.

• Woah
Also I am going to strongly advise against partying. This lifestyle always ends bad. Everyone I knew who did this wound up in rehab. You don't want to be another statistic. Have fun but keep some restraint.

but life ends at 24

but life ends at 24
this is bullshit. Life does not end when you get older, it changes. When you are older it is much harder to date women and stuff which is why you want to do this while you are younger. Instead of wasting your youth getting fucked up, try spending it doing interesting stuff like traveling, playing sports, learning things that interest you and maybe finding a woman to marry. Obviously spend some time working on a career so you dont become broke, but don't make it your life cause you arent built like that. When you get older you are less likely to be able to met new people and learn new things. Spend your youth well, not frivolously. Try doing stuff that makes your life meaningful.

• +1
Reactions: Deleted member 5892, thecel and LooksOrDeath