What do I tell my orthodontist to make sure he doesnt recess my maxilla?

D

Deleted member 24002

Mistral
Im getting braces purely to fix a 4mm overbite. The thing is, I dont want my maxilla pulled back to make a perfect bite, I strictly want my mandible pulled forward. Is this a realistic request to make to my orthodontist?

Get a bimax moron

• +1
Reactions: Deleted member 21340 and horizon
Im getting braces purely to fix a 4mm overbite. The thing is, I dont want my maxilla pulled back to make a perfect bite, I strictly want my mandible pulled forward. Is this a realistic request to make to my orthodontist?
You can’t have your mandible pulled forward besides by BSSO. Have your teeth aligned and then seek surgery from a professional.

Never get your overbite fixed with braces, you need surgery. The problem is that your mandible is probably too short compared to maxilla, they need to make it longer

• +1
Reactions: Deleted member 19766 and Lecherous
Never get your overbite fixed with braces, you need surgery. The problem is that your mandible is probably too short compared to maxilla, they need to make it longer
I dont have a big enough overbite for surgery. Its very minor.

Get BSSO + sliding genio to fix on overbite and to bring your mandible forward, not braces jfl
An ortho will most likely just pull your entire maxilla back to give you a class 1 occlusion

• Hmm...
Reactions: Deleted member 19766
Get BSSO + sliding genio to fix on overbite and to bring your mandible forward, not braces jfl
An ortho will most likely just pull your entire maxilla back to give you a class 1 occlusion
Im already getting a genioplasty, but im not getting a BSSO bro. The jaw procedures seem extremely expensive, time consuming, and a major commitment. Plus my chin is the main problem, my lower jaw is just a little bit smaller.

Can one of you guys DM me so I can send a picture of my bite? I want some of your opinions on if its worth fixing.

braces + elastics will move your teeth, 75% of movement is lower teeth, 25% upper. Don't worry much. After teeth is fixed then you can consider bimax

• Ugh..
Reactions: Deleted member 17920
braces + elastics will move your teeth, 75% of movement is lower teeth, 25% upper. Don't worry much. After teeth is fixed then you can consider bimax
I feel like this whole forum is obsessed with bimax and recommend it like crazy. In my country, it is only insured if you have legitimate problems where you can barely chew food or severe sleep apnea. So I'll have to pay 20k+ out of pocket and get placed on a three year waitlist for the surgery, then have orthodontics done afterwards as well. I would benefit much more from spending that money on a rhinoplasty + chin surgery. But you are correct, after researching braces it mostly moves your lower jaw with elastics and less so your upper. Idk why people are saying it only moves your upper. What did you tell your orthodontist btw?

I feel like this whole forum is obsessed with bimax and recommend it like crazy. In my country, it is only insured if you have legitimate problems where you can barely chew food or severe sleep apnea. So I'll have to pay 20k+ out of pocket and get placed on a three year waitlist for the surgery, then have orthodontics done afterwards as well. I would benefit much more from spending that money on a rhinoplasty + chin surgery. But you are correct, after researching braces it mostly moves your lower jaw with elastics and less so your upper. Idk why people are saying it only moves your upper. What did you tell your orthodontist btw?
I couldn't get a bimax covered by insurance with overbite, I could have only gotten lower jaw surgery which wasn't worth it for me.

First get braces, as I mentioned 25% of movement for overbite fix will be upper teeth going back. Not sure your exact real overbite, but if it is 4mm, then your maxilla will go 1 mm backward and lower jaw 3 mm forward. Would that make maxilla look recessed? It is for you to decide.

If you still think it looks reccessed, only then go for bimax. Ortho first, then maybe and only maybe bimax, if it is worth for you. Usually not, depends how subhuman you look.

Usually jaw + chin implants (or wraparound) + rhino is better bang for your bucks than bimax. You are correct 100%.

Idk why people are saying it only moves your upper. What did you tell your orthodontist btw?
I got consultations from 4 orthodontists until I found blackpilled one. I came from protruding upper lip perspective, saying I don't care about my teeth, but my lip is the issue. If they tell you they can't do anything about the lip - LEAVE. If they talk things like 'lip stands on teeth and moving teeth affects the lip' then they are more likely black pill ortho. Also they don't mention extractions, they should say wisdom teeth extraction are not needed for orthos.

you need a bimax, not braces. I have a minor overbite, almost not noticeable, but i'm getting it for cosmetic reasons

I got consultations from 4 orthodontists until I found blackpilled one. I came from protruding upper lip perspective, saying I don't care about my teeth, but my lip is the issue. If they tell you they can't do anything about the lip - LEAVE. If they talk things like 'lip stands on teeth and moving teeth affects the lip' then they are more likely black pill ortho. Also they don't mention extractions, they should say wisdom teeth extraction are not needed for orthos.

Thanks bro, I'll ask my orthodontist what he can do about my lips.

Why not elastics?
They will either retract your maxilla or your mandible to match your occlusion, it might not be huge but it can fuck you up aesthetically.

• +1
Reactions: Deleted member 19766 and Deleted member 24002
Why not? It gives my lips a recessed look when I bite down. Thats my main reason for doing this.
I know it sucks but O'Pry has it as well, it's a very minor failo. You almost certainly have other things you could work on instead tbh.

• +1
Reactions: Deleted member 24002