What has more knockdown power AR-15 or a Shotgun ?

Bonesbonesbonesbone

Bonesbonesbonesbone

T-1000 Frame Mogger
Title

• JFL
  • +1
Reactions: Gonthar and NorwoodAscender
From far away: Ar
From close: shotgun

• +1
Reactions: ineonx and NorwoodAscender
  • +1
Reactions: ineonx and NorwoodAscender
You can shoot a single round of 5.56 into someone but if there adrenalines pumping they can still charge at you. A shotgun shooting buck shot would stop them in their tracks. It could take their head off.

• +1
Reactions: <6PSLcel and NorwoodAscender
You can shoot a single round of 5.56 into someone but if there adrenalines pumping they can still charge at you. A shotgun shooting buck shot would stop them in their tracks. It could take their head off.
Yeah thats what i was wondering, if a shotgun with double 0 buckshot or a Slug to the centre mass of the guy charging you with a knife is enough to get them on the floor, not dead but just unable to stab you.

Also is 9mm Hollow points good too for self and home defense ?

• +1
Reactions: NorwoodAscender
Is that why people say shotguns are OP for home defense ?
Ar 15 is ideal because you can shoot many rounds in a quick succession. But a shorter barrell length would be ideal for home defense. Shotgun is popular because you take it with you out the store on the day of the purchase. The spread is wider too (depending on distance and round) so you have more chance of hitting the intruder and need less practice

• +1
Reactions: NorwoodAscender and Bonesbonesbonesbone
Yeah thats what i was wondering, if a shotgun with double 0 buckshot or a Slug to the centre mass of the guy charging you with a knife is enough to get them on the floor, not dead but just unable to stab you.

Also is 9mm Hollow points good too for self and home defense ?
They’re all good for self defense. It all comes down to preference.

• +1
They’re all good for self defense. It all comes down to preference.
I would probs use a 9mm hollow point glock 17, cuz its conceably for open carry,

• +1
Reactions: <6PSLcel and NorwoodAscender
I would probs use a 9mm hollow point glock 17, cuz its conceably for open carry,
Imo I would get a rifle or shotgun for home defense. You don’t want a pistol in a rifle fight.

• +1
  • +1
Reactions: <6PSLcel
Imo I would get a rifle or shotgun for home defense. You don’t want a pistol in a rifle fight.
Nah you’d want a pistol because it’s versatile, unless you have a very open household it’s going to be hard to maneuver with an ar 15 which I believe the shortest legal length barrel you can get is 16 inches and same with a shotgun, a glock 17 with a red dot and a high power light is what you want, also what if you get caught off guard and tackled to the ground but you are still holding the gun, an ar of shotgun you won’t be able to shoot the guy whereas with a glock you can possibly still shoot him

Nah you’d want a pistol because it’s versatile, unless you have a very open household it’s going to be hard to maneuver with an ar 15 which I believe the shortest legal length barrel you can get is 16 inches and same with a shotgun, a glock 17 with a red dot and a high power light is what you want, also what if you get caught off guard and tackled to the ground but you are still holding the gun, an ar of shotgun you won’t be able to shoot the guy whereas with a glock you can possibly still shoot him
Damn that was what I was thinking after a Navy Seal uploaded a youtube video of his top 5 guns for home defense which he said that handguns are his favourite because theres so many angles he can exploit.

Also those extreme defense 9mm hollow points are very expensive, but they hit like a truck pound for pound of the 9mm weight.,

• +1
Damn that was what I was thinking after a Navy Seal uploaded a youtube video of his top 5 guns for home defense which he said that handguns are his favourite because theres so many angles he can exploit.

Also those extreme defense 9mm hollow points are very expensive, but they hit like a truck pound for pound of the 9mm weight.,
Yeah also grain affects costs, so stick to one 124 is the cheapest, and at the range practise mainly with that ammunition, zero in your sight with that ammunition also, and put at least 1000 rounds in with that ammunition

Yeah also grain affects costs, so stick to one 124 is the cheapest, and at the range practise mainly with that ammunition, zero in your sight with that ammunition also, and put at least 1000 rounds in with that ammunition
If I get very skilled in training with my Glock 17, I will be a home defense specalist.

• +1
9mm stopping power isn’t good though. You would need to unload a clip into the person before they stop moving , maybe more and that’s if your shots are on target. Pistols can be taken off you really easily , the barrels shotguns& rifles caN be used as a weapon and do a significant amount of damage if they come close and they’re more accurate from a further distance and close distance (control the recoil etc) But each to their own. Everyone has a preference.

From far away: Ar
From close: shotgun

"Knockdown power" has hardly anything to do in this scenario ,plus even then the Shotgun if fired by
a Seasoned Marksman would be lethal with just one round,whereas an AR for the most part requires
multiple rounds to be as lethal

Not even a debate

"Knockdown power" has hardly anything to do in this scenario ,plus even then the Shotgun if fired by
a Seasoned Marksman would be lethal with just one round,whereas an AR for the most part requires
multiple rounds to be as lethal

Not even a debate
wdym

Title is asking which has more "Knockdown Power' i.e. Force.Not like I'm a Physics expert on this subject
but it's common sense that even at a distance a Shotgun would always have more blunt force than
a Rifle which fires Multiple Rounds.

• Hmm...
Reactions: Dane
Title is asking which has more "Knockdown Power' i.e. Force.Not like I'm a Physics expert on this subject
but it's common sense that even at a distance a Shotgun would always have more blunt force than
a Rifle which fires Multiple Rounds.
Dnr title properly thought it was just ar vs shotgun

• +1
Reactions: Yliaster