what's the difference between canthoplasty and lower lid retraction

Warlow

Warlow

Young man lost in space and time
i mean the results are pretty similar, in fact it might be more favorable to get a canthoplasty as it's cheaper. However both result in visibly tighter lower lids and better canthal tilt.
thoughts?

lower eyelid retraction is the repositioning of the lower-eyelid (without eversion) but canthoplasty is he alteration of the lateral canthus

• +1
Reactions: WannaBeA6, JosephGarrot123, godlikesz and 1 other person
canthoplasty overall is superior

• +1
Reactions: Deleted member 6488 and Warlow
lower eyelid retraction is the repositioning of the lower-eyelid (without eversion) but canthoplasty is he alteration of the lateral canthus
i assume bringing up the lateral canthus would also cause some repositioning of the lower eyelid as well though or is that inaccurate? And lower lid retraction doesn't improve lateral canthus in any way?

• +1
Reactions: Deleted member 6488
i assume bringing up the lateral canthus would also cause some repositioning of the lower eyelid as well though or is that inaccurate? And lower lid retraction doesn't improve lateral canthus in any way?
i'm honestly not too sure about the lower eyelid being impacted by cantho, but it's definitely not a significant amount. for the second question, yes, lower eyelid does not improve the lateral canthus.

because people with droopy eyes usually have droopy lower eyelids their canthus needs repositioning too, which is why they're usually paired.

• +1
Reactions: needsolution
These are 2 totally different procedures.

Lower lid retraction is undermining the infraorbital soft tissues (separating/freeing them) and does not change the position of the lateral canthus.

Lateral Canthopexy is cutting and reattaching the lateral canthal ligament at the outer corner of the eye into a more desirable position. While this can raise the lower lids slightly by creating some tension “pulling” them up.

But to someone who has considerable scleral show canthoplasty without releasing the lower lids by retraction surgery will not suffice. It could even have the opposite effect because of the geometry of the lower lid moving on a sphere.