What's the Ideal ramus length?

Again, the vast majority of gonions sit below the lower lip as they also connect with the mandible body, which always sits below the lower lip. Gonion is a curved landmark, so even if the beginning doesn’t reach past the lower lip, the end will.

I'm just trying to reconcile your view with what I'm seeing in my design. I assume the point at which my gonial flare is at its maximum signifies the end of my ramus and the beginning of my gonial curve. Think that's right?

What happens if chin to philtrum ratio is 2.3 but the lower third is over 20% longer than middle third? OK? Seems like a real danger of long face developing.
Lower third shouldn’t be over 20% longer than the middle third. If it is, you already have fucked proportions.

I'm just trying to reconcile your view with what I'm seeing in my design. I assume the point at which my gonial flare is at its maximum signifies the end of my ramus and the beginning of my gonial curve. Think that's right?
I again don’t understand what you’re asking, but you can feel the beginning of your gonion and the end. Beginning is when your jaw starts to curve, end is where it stops curving and becomes a straight line (mandible body).

Colvin’s avi
this is how a ramus is supposed to look like
DGbtaKT
08fbf5e08948fff45130d49919b8773c  chris carmack bruce weber

• Love it
Reactions: St. Wristcel
Lower third shouldn’t be over 20% longer than the middle third. If it is, you already have fucked proportions.

So then what controls? Better to have 2 chin to philtrum and 10% longer lower third or 2.25 chin to philtrum and 20% longer lower third?

For example, post implant I'll have a 2.2 chin to philtrum but am pushing 19-20% longer lower third. I have the option of shaving down the vert projection by 1 or 2mm to get 2.12 and 16.5% but I assume that's worse.

Last edited:
I again don’t understand what you’re asking, but you can feel the beginning of your gonion and the end. Beginning is when your jaw starts to curve, end is where it stops curving and becomes a straight line (mandible body).

That's true without an implant but I assume the point at which the jaw angle flares out at its maximum would be where the end of the ramus is, when looking at a jaw implant schematic. Just trying to reconcile the theoretical points you're making with the practical application in jaw angle design.

So then what controls? Better to have 2 chin to philtrum and 10% longer lower third or 2.25 chin to philtrum and 20% longer lower third?

For example, post implant I'll have a 2.2 chin to philtrum but am pushing 19-20% longer lower third. I have the option of shaving down the vert projection by 1 or 2mm to get 2.12 and 16.5% but I assume that's worse.
If your lower third is 20% longer than your middle third, you’re fucked already. Lower third should be the longest third, but by no more than ten percent.

This morph has a 2.6 chin to philtrum ratio yet balanced facial thirds (lower third is slightly longer, maybe by five percent):

7F386C5F 1A36 400D BC75 AA770F0124AB

That's true without an implant but I assume the point at which the jaw angle flares out at its maximum would be where the end of the ramus is, when looking at a jaw implant schematic. Just trying to reconcile the theoretical points you're making with the practical application in jaw angle design.
I don’t know what you mean by “flares out at its maximum”. The end of the ramus is just above where the gonion begins. You can feel the beginning of the gonion when your jaw starts to curve or get sharp. That’s when you are no longer touching the ramus, but the gonion.

Your ramus should end and gonail corner should be at the same level as your mouth

If your lower third is 20% longer than your middle third, you’re fucked already. Lower third should be the longest third, but by no more than ten percent.

This morph has a 2.6 chin to philtrum ratio yet balanced facial thirds (lower third is slightly longer, maybe by five percent):

View attachment 659093

Ya guess I'm fucked a bit then. I'm not even doing much vert projection (3mm) but base level lower third is about 13% longer and i want to have a defined jaw without slack underneath so it needs to level out with my neck line, hence the elongation. Guess I'll have to deal with it.