What's the point of life?

D

Deleted member 3832

Kraken
What's the point of life actually? Even if you're good-looking and pass your genes, what's the point? Ok, so the next generation gets the good genes and enjoy their lives, but for what really? We keep on reproducing with each other so that our species doesn't go extinct and that society can keep on developing, but yet again, for what in the end? What will we achieve in the end when we do all of this? What will we achieve if we keep going further and further? What is the point of doing all of this if we all are gonna die anyways?

• +1
Reactions: Deleted member 6401, AlexHeally and Deleted member 5912
none, actually. death removes any meaning or point from life.

• +1
Reactions: Deleted member 6401, Deleted member 5634 and Deleted member 3832
the nihilismpill also hit me hard in my late teens. you will grow out of it

• +1
Reactions: Deleted member 6401, Deleted member 5912 and Deleted member 3832
Being happy content

• +1
Reactions: Deleted member 6401 and auboutduprecipice
  • +1
Reactions: Deleted member 6401 and AlexHeally
the nihilismpill also hit me hard in my late teens. you will grow out of it

what? there is no growing out of nihilism lmao. It's just a truth, nothing more.

You may be mistaking nihilism with edgy-depressed-yolo types.

• +1
Reactions: Deleted member 6401, Deleted member 5634 and Deleted member 3832
Coping is the point of life

• +1
Reactions: SA7, Deleted member 6401 and Deleted member 3832
I feel like nothing is important if you can't live forever.

Aaaand this guy gets it. Well even if you could live forever there is no higher meaning either, but it wouldn't make life itself so stupid.

• +1
Reactions: Deleted member 6401 and Deleted member 3832
Read Sartre, Kafka, and Camus. Their absurdist work is brilliant

• JFL
  • +1
Reactions: Deleted member 6401 and lookismfugee
  • +1
anticlimactic but it's whatever you want it to be, if you want to devote it to invisible sky man then do it, if you want to ascend and fuck stacies all day, become a fortune 500 member or an actor or musician or whatever then that's what life means to you

• +1
Reactions: Highrise and Deleted member 6401
I feel like nothing is important if you can't live forever.

leaving behind a legacy, making your life as content and trouble free as possible, etc. it really depends on you. being selfish is the best way to be happy.

what? there is no growing out of nihilism lmao. It's just a truth, nothing more.

You may be mistaking nihilism with edgy-depressed-yolo types.

of course there is once you start studying religions and other philosophies. leaving behind a legacy is the best way to counter nihilism because then your life did in fact serve a purpose and you are in fact immortal

• +1
Everything in life is a way of coping if you're not good-looking.

Being good looking and having sex is also a cope itself,
Everybody is destined to die and life can become hell on earth any moment.

• +1
Aaaand this guy gets it. Well even if you could live forever there is no higher meaning either, but it wouldn't make life itself so stupid.
I feel like I want to live forever ngl. Let's say that I ascend at some point with the use of specific drugs like HGH. Then what will I do after? Ok maybe I slay a few women here and there. But then? I get old and crippled, I can't do anything anymore. I will slowly fade away and when I die, nobody will remember me anymore, as if I never even existed. But I do want to be remembered.

• +1
running your own psl forum

• +1
Reactions: Deleted member 6401
Experiencing whatever you can, attempting to be happy. Maximizing your experiences

• +1
leaving behind a legacy, making your life as content and trouble free as possible, etc. it really depends on you. being selfish is the best way to be happy.

of course there is once you start studying religions and other philosophies. leaving behind a legacy is the best way to counter nihilism because then your life did in fact serve a purpose and you are in fact immortal

Legacy is a cope and its offensive that people call that "immortality". Why should I care about leaving a legacy if I die. I don't want to have a family. I don't want to raise an empire. I don't want to leave a footprint. I FUCKING WANT TO LIVE AND EXPERIENCE EXISTENCE, not any half assed cope, much less having the fucking guts to call that shit "immortality". There wouldn't even be a purpose if we were immortal, much less if we die anyways and there is no afterlife of sorts.

• +1
Experiencing whatever you can, attempting to be happy. Maximizing your experiences
What's the point if all those experiences will be lost once you die? You die and you won't remember them anymore unless there's Heaven and Hell.

• +1
Legacy is a cope and its offensive that people call that "immortality". Why should I care about leaving a legacy if I die. I don't want to have a family. I don't want to raise an empire. I don't want to leave a footprint. I FUCKING WANT TO LIVE AND EXPERIENCE EXISTENCE, not any half assed cope, much less having the fucking guts to call that shit "immortality".

you wouldn't call caesar, napoleon, hitler, etc immortal? i would. they are more "alive" today than your average person. anyone who has left behind significant contributions to any field is more "alive" than the average person. all of us with you right now can do the same thing as you ie live and experience existence - but we don't have to come to the same nihilist conclusion about the end of our time spent

• +1
What's the point if all those experiences will be lost once you die? You die and you won't remember them anymore unless there's Heaven and Hell.
Yeah but experiencing feels good in the short run so you may as well do it and seek nice feeling things before you die and remember nothing. Take it or leave it.

• +1
you wouldn't call caesar, napoleon, hitler, etc immortal? i would. they are more "alive" today than your average person. anyone who has left behind significant contributions to any field is more "alive" than the average person. all of us with you right now can do the same thing as you ie live and experience existence - but we don't have to come to the same nihilist conclusion about the end of our time spent

No, not at all. Being alive is experiencing existence, nothing more. Being remembered? sure. Being relevant? sure. Being alive? no, they are dead, and not experiencing anything. People must stop misusing and tainting the meaning of actually being alive, and stop romanticizing death and seeing it with rose tinted glasses because "you don't really die if you leave a good footprint in the world". No, you are dead, period.

I prefer to be actually alive and be a nobody than dead and remembered worldwide with empires nations and statues raised in my memory.

• +1
No, not at all. Being alive is experiencing existence, nothing more. Being remembered? sure. Being relevant? sure. Being alive? no, they are dead, and not experiencing anything. People must stop misusing and tainting the meaning of actually being alive, and stop romanticizing death and seeing it with rose tinted glasses because "you don't really die if you leave a good footprint in the world". No, you are dead, period.

I prefer to be actually alive and be a nobody than dead and remembered worldwide with empires nations and statues raised in my memory.

we are all alive right now anyway. people who have left legacies have also been alive at one point. why not use your time to experience things while creating something to leave behind as well? it's not a one or another case. why can't you also do great things and be remembered for them unless you're referring to something more hedonistic?

Absurdism is more hard hitting and brutal

things don't have to be hard hitting and brutal for it to be right. camus, schopenhauer, sarte, and kafka all lived their lives the complete opposite of the pessimistic writings they made because those ideas only work in writing while at least kierkegaard remained true to his.

• +1
we are all alive right now anyway. people who have left legacies have also been alive at one point. why not use your time to experience things while creating something to leave behind as well? it's not a one or another case. why can't you also do great things and be remembered for them unless you're referring to something more hedonistic?

things don't have to be hard hitting and brutal for it to be right. camus, schopenhauer, sarte, and kafka all lived their lives the complete opposite of the pessimistic writings they made because those ideas only work in writing while at least kierkegaard remained true to his.
I feel like creating something to. Or doing something that will change the world forever so that I will always be remembered. But the thing is, is what will you do? How will you do it?

No matter how gifted you are, you alone cannot change the world.

• +1
You have a point. Sartre was like the exact opposite of the supposed writing style portrayed his world view as. I guess he just thought the absurdist idea was “cool” but didn’t actually believe it. Kierkegaard seemed to critical of religion though while the absurdists didn’t really over analyse and critique the flaws of particular religions

• +1
I feel like creating something to. Or doing something that will change the world forever so that I will always be remembered. But the thing is, is what will you do? How will you do it?

No matter how gifted you are, you alone cannot change the world.

you can do anything from writing a book of poetry to opening up a successful business. the goal isn't to change the world necessarily but just leave your imprint. not all of us will become the next bill gates, caesar, or george washington. but we also have the choice to not be forgotten in general.

• +1
We will find out after death

• +1
Kierkegaard seemed to critical of religion though while the absurdists didn’t really over analyse and critique the flaws of particular religions

he was mainly critical of the danish church i believe. he died a man who lived true to his ideals and came out a better person for it while leaving behind a great oeuvre while kafka was a beta, alcoholic simp who married a prostitute and the others never found true happiness.

• +1

• +1
its all a big nothing.

• +1