What’s the point of the PSL rating system?

thecel

thecel

narrow-orbits brachy-skull ogre
Some people say the PSL rating system isn’t merely a different numerical scale and differs in nature from the 10-scale.

According to them, a man who has male-model-esque striking aesthetics has high PSL irrespective of his appeal to women—by their PSL standards, Elias de Poot and Jordan Barrett have giga PSL and relatively lowish appeal to women.

Because Bateman mogs De poot irl. These two are barely comparable SMV wise while De Poot has a significantly higher PSL.

But what’s the fucking point of this feature that some PSL raters consider to be inherent to the PSL rating scale? Isn’t looksmaxing’s goal to maximize sexual market value and appeal to women?

The Incel Wiki states that the PSL scale was created for the purpose of rating men as how women would perceive them (emphasis mine):

Another scale is the PSL rating scale which goes from 1-8. To find out your position on the PSL scale, deduct 2 points from the rating you recieved on the much more common decile scale. The idea behind it is that a man's position on the PSL scale directly correlates with how women perceive him. In the statistics released by the dating site OkCupid, men received much more harsh ratings (81% percent of them being rated as below average looking) by women than vice versa. Thus a male 7 will not actually be considered on par with female 7 in terms of their SMV, but will instead be perceived as a 5.

Sometime between the PSL rating system’s conception and now, someone thought it was a good idea to use it to rate men in accordance with male-model-esque striking aesthetic ideals that aren’t really the most attractive to women.

Nowadays, some believe that the PSL rating system’s value lies in its usage for rating attractiveness separate from harmony and/or appeal:

I prefer to use PSL and SMV, really PSL is useful to calculate when someone has attractiveness but not harmony to be.

In essence, PSL today is used to rate males’ attractivenesses in a way that does not correspond to what attracts females. What’s the point of that?

Last edited:
  • +1
  • Hmm...
Reactions: russiancelreturns, Deleted member 25938, User49 and 8 others
yo bitch ain't really bad, she be catfishing

• Hmm...
Reactions: thecel
Some people say the PSL rating system isn’t merely a different numerical scale and differs in nature from the 10-scale.

According to them, a man who has male-model-esque striking aesthetics has high PSL irrespective of his appeal to women—Elias de Poot and Jordan Barrett have giga PSL and relatively lowish appeal to women.

But what’s the fucking point of this feature that some PSL raters consider to be inherent to the PSL rating scale?

Isn’t looksmaxing’s goal to maximize sexual market value and appeal to women?

The Incel Wiki states that the PSL scale was created for the purpose of rating men as how women would perceive them (emphasis mine):

Sometime between the PSL rating system’s conception and now, someone thought it was a good idea to use it to rate men in accordance with male-model-esque striking aesthetic ideals that aren’t really the most attractive to women.

Nowadays, some believe that the PSL rating system is useful for rating attractiveness separate from harmony and/or appeal:

In essence, PSL today is used to rate males’ attractivenesses in a way that does not correspond to what attracts females. What’s the point of that?
Smv and appeal mogs all, psl is for coping gay alien faced incels like me

• JFL
  • +1
Reactions: Deleted member 19036 and thecel
@thecel how do I cope with being a alien being compared to Barrett and opry?

• So Sad
  • +1
There is none, I've always thought the psl scale is autistic as hell. therefore I don't use it

• JFL
  • +1
Reactions: TrestIsBest and thecel
@thecel how do I cope with being a alien being compared to Barrett and opry?
While obviously not being as gl as them

coomcelling

@thecel is my best hope to status max through some kind of modelling? While obviously not being a super model could ascend me to stacyville

• Woah
coomcelling

I don’t wanna :feelsbadman:

• JFL
Could it be that PSL only qualifies individual traits? I.e. Barret has good individual male characteristics but they don't fully shape him to be attractive to women.

I consider SMV to be much better than the others, analyzing your current sexual value in the market will help you more than PSL.

PSL from what I understand used to qualify hard with the truth and be honest with your appearance but it seems to have changed.

• Woah
@thecel maybe I ascend after my leanmax who knows

• +1
Could it be that PSL only qualifies individual traits? I.e. Barret has good individual male characteristics but they don't fully shape him to be attractive to women.

I consider SMV to be much better than the others, analyzing your current sexual value in the market will help you more than PSL.

PSL from what I understand used to qualify hard with the truth and be honest with your appearance but it seems to have changed.
It’s all cope tbh Barrett doesn’t look uncanny irl and fucked a shit Ton of female models

• +1
Reactions: Danish_Retard, Zylk and thecel
quit the autism PSL scale is from 1 to 10.

9 and 10 are never "given out" because they dont exist in nature

• +1
  • JFL
Reactions: xanny, Danish_Retard and thecel
quit the autism PSL scale is from 1 to 10.

9 and 10 are never "given out" because they dont exist in nature

Shitpinion.

Map the scale so that 9s and 10s exist. I set 10 to the hottest girl I’ve ever seen.

It’s all cope tbh Barrett doesn’t look uncanny irl and fucked a shit Ton of female models
the experiments people have done don't lie, obviously he still has chad tier smv, but its clear that many people with the less psl mog him in smv

• +1
Shitpinion.

Map the scale so that 9s and 10s exist. I set 10 to the hottest girl I’ve ever seen.

dude

holy shit its literally what the PSL scale is, a rating number from 1 to 10.
that's all
its just more strict that's all.
normal people give out 7 for average but in psl the average is 4/10 because people are 4/10

dude is that so hard to understand

• JFL
To measure inherent/objective attractiveness

• JFL
dude

holy shit its literally what the PSL scale is, a rating number from 1 to 10.
that's all
its just more strict that's all.
normal people give out 7 for average but in psl the average is 4/10 because people are 4/10

dude is that so hard to understand

I understand it and disagree with it.

the experiments people have done don't lie, obviously he still has chad tier smv, but its clear that many people with the less psl mog him in smv
Not irl results though lmao he’s gl enough to be a super model and fuck super models simple as

I understand it and disagree with it.
well ur OP says otherwise, ur talking about 1-8 scale and some shit like that

• Hmm...
SMV / normie rating (1-10) is all that matters. PSL is autistic.

• JFL
  • +1
Reactions: Ken and thecel
To measure inherent/objective attractiveness

A person’s objective attractiveness is the average of how subjectively attractive everyone in the population finds the person. It’s very similar to conventional attractiveness. Conventional attractiveness discards outlying tastes.

• +1
  • Hmm...
Reactions: DrTony and Deleted member 16275

• Love it
Harmony pill is brutal for many autists . Not a single good feature on this man, yet unquestionably handsome. Breaks all the users that try to mathematically measure attractiveness

• +1
  • JFL
  • Hmm...
Reactions: Timmy, Deleted member 13787, therocky and 5 others
Nowadays, some believe that the PSL rating system’s value lies in its usage for rating attractiveness separate from harmony and/or appeal:
I don’t understand that statement from the person you are quoting. People do take harmony into account when giving PSL ratings? So is he saying that two people with very similar features, but one has a ESR >0.5 while the other has 0.45, one has a 1.1 midface while the other is horse faced, those two will get the same PSL rating?
Obviously ratios are taken into account and from my understanding ratios make up much of what harmony is or "how well your features go together". It seems some posters agree with this while others use harmony as a ill-defined term for something other than ratios, symmetry and proportions.
@zylk98 can you define what you mean by "harmony"

• +1
Reactions: Deleted member 18439 and thecel
Yeah it has little use unless you're trying to become a model (very few people are here for that reason).

Overall appeal is the most important by far. Lots of scary, autistic looking people here with muh bones that are technically 5 PSL.

• +1
Reactions: Nautica and thecel
I don’t understand that statement from the person you are quoting. People do take harmony into account when giving PSL ratings? So is he saying that two people with very similar features, but one has a ESR >0.5 while the other has 0.45, one has a 1.1 midface while the other is horse faced, those two will get the same PSL rating?
Obviously ratios are taken into account and from my understanding ratios make up much of what harmony is or "how well your features go together". It seems some posters agree with this while others use harmony as a ill-defined term for something other than ratios, symmetry and proportions.
@zylk98 can you define what you mean by "harmony"
I think harmony is how your other features complement each other, when someone has surgery and how it doesn't complement the rest of their face.
(Many will think you are talking about ratios as well).

Also when:
> Healthy features.
> Dysmorphic features.

I have seen other users rate other people with higher PSL simply because they have better bones and cranial positioning, but not better harmony, that's what I meant when I talked about PSL.

• +1
Reactions: Racky and thecel
PSL scale is retarded, just use 1-10.

People on lookism started using the PSL scale when harsh raters like sephon gave lower rating then everyone else. They thought lower rating meant that you had a better eye for aesthetics. Some guys would rate Lachowski, o'pry, and other male models as 5's to make themselves sound smart.

• Woah
  • +1
Reactions: beau, Nautica and thecel
PSL is supposed to reflect SMV for the most part, the problem is that this forum is plagued with clueless idiots that autistically fixate on a couple of specific features, while undermining the importance of others.

• JFL
  • +1
Reactions: russiancelreturns and thecel
this shit is autistic as fuck, the real rating system is : are u fucking hoes or not

• +1
  • WTF
Reactions: Deleted member 18439, Ken and thecel
PSL scale is retarded, just use 1-10.

People on lookism started using the PSL scale when harsh raters like sephon gave lower rating then everyone else. They thought lower rating meant that you had a better eye for aesthetics. Some guys would rate Lachowski, o'pry, and other male models as 5's to make themselves sound smart.
Not at all, you are extremely retarded.
We use x/8 PSL because we can categorize every male into this scale, using /10 is your child mind needing landmark.

0-2 PSL, low-mid-high tier subhuman
3-5 PSL, low-mid-high tier normie
6 PSL, chadlite
7 PSL, chad
8 PSL, gigachad (theoretically)

We can fit every males here, no need for cope /10 scale you fucking greycell

• +1
  • JFL
Reactions: thecel and Danish_Retard
PSL is all about looking like a statue handcrafted by God

• Woah
PSL system is detached from it’s original purpose because of the male gaze. DePoot might look near perfect on paper but in reality he is just an aspie looking unknown male model

• +1
  • Woah
Reactions: AscendingHero, Nautica, Looks234 and 1 other person
PSL system is detached from it’s original purpose because of the male gaze. DePoot might look near perfect on paper but in reality he is just an aspie looking unknown male model
He’s not unknown he’s on mens hot list on models.com and nominated for model of the year before

• Woah
NT and high IQ post. Of course your PSL matters less than your total appeal as described in your SMV rating

• +1
I say it again

PSL = how much more likely you can become a model

Thats why you need to combine appeal with the rating, body, voice, height, eyes, ect

We need to make a new rating system @thecel where we combine psl with appeal

• +1
Reactions: Deleted member 17345 and thecel

According to them, a man who has male-model-esque striking aesthetics has high PSL irrespective of his appeal to women—by their PSL standards, Elias de Poot and Jordan Barrett have giga PSL and relatively lowish appeal to women.

But what’s the fucking point of this feature that some PSL raters consider to be inherent to the PSL rating scale? Isn’t looksmaxing’s goal to maximize sexual market value and appeal to women?

To answer your question, succinctly and clearly: there is no point in PSL ratings. Only thing that matters, is like your gut has been telling you the whole time, how women treat you as a sexual entity in real life. Best more accurate barometer.

• Woah
Psl is basically our homoerotic tendencies leaking out and smv is us actually looking at what females like and figuring out how attractive a dude is tocthem

• JFL

There are many semi-empirical formulas in the Looks Theory standard textbooks.. the simplest as a rule of thumb suggest to simply subject the difference as you've done here. Others prefer a weighted average (heard as high as 2x for ESR), other prefer geometric suggestion or a combination of both.
In any case, there aren't enough variables for a competent morpher to form a PSL to with +-0.25-05. They will at least will require gonal angle measurement and probably some indication of mid third soft tissue features too (hot topic at the moment)

• Woah
Reactions: Racky and thecel

De pot with good physique , not haircut, without the squinting , would mog bateman. Just kidding

• Woah
  • 1-10 Scale: based on subjective concepts and hard-to-define ideas such as harmony and "IRL appeal"; it's also excessively rooted in sex appeal, which is connected and yet detached from the idea of "beauty".
  • PSL Scale: based on objective concepts and measurable ratios.
This is, obviously, only in theory, because looks DO have a subjective component and it's exceptionally hard to quantify beauty; we're simply not advanced yet to be able to accurately rate according to the PSL scale, which is evidenced by De Poot having a high PSL rating and low IRL appeal.

A perfect PSL rating would reflect IRL appeal as well, but we can't accurately rate it because people get too hang up on minor things and can't judge a face in its entirety (oh this guy has negative canthal tilt therefore -2PSL points). In other words, PSL scale would be a good tool, but it needs to be used by people that are very good at rating, not random nobodies.

I would personally argue that since there is a subjective component to looks (niches, preferences etc.) we should just rate in tiers, let's say from tier S to tier F.
S: Exceptionally attractive
A: Attractive
B: Above average
C: Average
D: Below average
E: Unattractive
F: Exceptionally unattractive

I understand a 7-point scale is very similar to the PSL scale, but this gives some leeway to subjective components since it does not allow for half-points (or even quarter points!).
For example, one could rate both Francisco Lachowski and David Gandy as "S - Exceptionally attractive" without necessarily having to elaborate on which one is more attractive as they have wildly different vibes.

Last edited:
  • +1
He’s try
Harmony pill is brutal for many autists . Not a single good feature on this man, yet unquestionably handsome. Breaks all the users that try to mathematically measure attractiveness

View attachment 1692375
ecel to girls . Truecel

• JFL