What's your vocabulary size?

View attachment 133885

It's over, I can understand most of the things I read though. Like 90% at least, most of the words on the second part are useless af

This is actually life fuel, I just need to learn ~8000 words in french and I'll pretty much look fluent
Yeah, I read that 80% of communication (for pretty much all languages) is made using the most common 2000 words, and 90% is made with 3000. After that, it starts to delve into specialized vocabulary.

Last edited:
  • +1
Reactions: Deleted member 616
words

And I thought I was fluent. I'll just rope real quick brb

words

And I thought I was fluent. I'll just rope real quick brb
You can have only 8000 and still be fluent. 14k is already fine for a non native. Many difficult words are simply not used in daily conversations

24k non-native

thanks Tolkien and Internet

But I only know them if I read them, I can not use it spontaneously while writing

14.5 k as a non native.

native

jfl at vocabulary size its all about talkin ebonics

• +1
Reactions: john_cope
You can speak well without a large vocabulary. It's all about your elocution. Becoming a master of rational oratory is no easy task, but it can be done. Just have patience and persist. Listen closely to the minutia of a person's voice and you will understand what true charisma really is.

• +1
Reactions: Deleted member 616
jfl at vocabulary size its all about talkin ebonics
Dein deutscher Wortschatz übertrifft den Goethes weil BBC Sprachgebrauch

• JFL
Reactions: NiBBaCel
You can speak well without a large vocabulary. It's all about your elocution. Becoming a master of rational oratory is no easy task, but it can be done. Just have patience and persist. Listen closely to the minutia of a person's voice and you will understand what true charisma really is.
Yes, 5k would be sufficient to speak fluently and 8k enough to read informative sites / articles

• +1
Reactions: john_cope
Vocabulary

View attachment 133309

English isn't my first language btw but I expected a higher score than this. Tho some words I have literally never heard of before.
Yeah, I really wanted to click words I was half sure about like opsimath. I have definitely seen some before in things like Shakespeare or Chaucer but couldn't bring myself to cheat.
Yes, 5k would be sufficient to speak fluently and 8k enough to read informative sites / articles
Yeah most languages you only need like 2000 words to read 80% of a newspaper. Of course you would need to know grammer and conjugation though.

got this in the german language
jzqEYaa.png

View attachment 133885

It's over, I can understand most of the things I read though. Like 90% at least, most of the words on the second part are useless af

This is actually life fuel, I just need to learn ~8000 words in french and I'll pretty much look fluent
thats your native language?

History teacher

not surprised

didn read just clicked all boxes
tfw einstein gets iq mogged

I did the first page and then couldn't be arsed to go through clicking all the boxes on the next page, insanely tedious stuff

Like most French, I'm bad at English

Capture