When people say 0.8g-1g of protein/kg is the minimum daily, how much could this have affected a growing teenager to consume only the bare minimum?

ParanoidHungLatino

ParanoidHungLatino

Bronze
It is widely credited that high protein intake is linked to height; specifically, high animal protein intake. So how impactfull would it be for a teenager to consume only the bare minimum recommended? I am 20yo and now realized throughout my teenagehood, when I hovered about 50kg (low 160s for height), I probably consumed only the minimum amount; since my main protein source where:

500ml of milk= 17g
150g chicken=41
70-100g meat(dinner)=14-20
I also ate black beans, which has some protein. but lets ignore it. The rest is mostly carbs. This would give me about 17+41+16= 74g of protein per day. Lets put it lower and say 70g of protein per day. That seems insanely low considering the average american and dutchman gets about 100-120g of protein per day. I am astonished by it. How much could I have lost? Is it even worth trying to recover from this damage and eat 100-120g of protein now as a 20yo?

I check research again and it seems still somewhat controversial if taking lots of protein help kids (putting links below, only need to read abstract):
https://ajcn.nutrition.org/article/S0002-9165(23)12142-3/fulltext#secsect0001
https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/35359005/
Specially regarding height in boys, the controversy is huge. Whats your guys take on it? Was my protein intake so low? It is closer to indian average of 60g of protein epr day thran the US/Europe average. I am extremely shocked. My minimum should have been 50g of protein, which I surely got right even in the worst day. But thats the MINIMUM.

Last edited:
It is widely credited that high protein intake is linked to height; specifically, high animal protein intake. So how impactfull would it be for a teenager to consume only the bare minimum recommended? I am 20yo and now realized throughout my teenaged hood, when I hovered about 50kg (low 160s for height), I probably consumed only the minimum amount; since my main protein source where:

500ml of milk= 17g
150g chicken=41
70-100g meat(dinner)=14-20
I also ate black beans, which has some protein. but lets ignore it. There rest is mostly carbs. This would give me about 17+41+16= 74g of protein per day. Lets put it lower and say 70g of protein per day. That seems insanely low considering the average american and dutchman gets about 100-120g of protein per day. I am astonished by it. How much could I have lost? Is it even worth trying to recover from this damage and eat 100-120g of protein now as a 20yo?

I check research again and it seems still somewhat controversial if taking lots of protein help kids (putting links below, only need to read abstract):
https://ajcn.nutrition.org/article/S0002-9165(23)12142-3/fulltext#secsect0001
https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/35359005/
Specially regarding height in boys, the controversy is huge. Whats your guys take on it? Was my protein intake so low? It is closer to indian average of 60g of protein epr day thran the US/Europe average. I am extremely shocked. My minimum should have been 50g of protein, which is surely got right even in the worst day. But thats the MINIMUM.
protein is huge, some people attribute big european height gain to their increase in protein last 2 centuries. u probably wouldve grew more with more protein, beaner

I ate 1000 calories a day which consists of fruit snacks and that was it. I think it negatively impacted my height. I went into HS at 90 lbs. So yes, protein in crucial for linear growth.

• +1
Reactions: LooksThinker and aspiringexcel
protein is huge, some people attribute big european height gain to their increase in protein last 2 centuries. u probably wouldve grew more with more protein, beaner
Thats what makes me sad. As a 14yo Brazilian I thought BLACK BEANS were the source of everything good, therefore I ate a lot of it every single day. But even its protein content is PLANT PROTEIN, which has less correlation with height than animal protein. It also increases satiety, which is retarded since a teenage must bulk. It is only reasonable for old people, since it reduces blood pressure. My parents always said I ate well, but that I was too obsessed with black beans. Now I realized my teenage self unknowingly ruined my genetics by trying to eat beans every day due to a "habit". I cant take this out of my mind.

• +1
Reactions: aspiringexcel and Deleted member 66616
I ate 1000 calories a day which consists of fruit snacks and that was it. I think it negatively impacted my height. I went into HS at 90 lbs. So yes, protein in crucial for linear growth.
Jesus you had cancer and also ate little? Come on bro, every days it gets clear you were stunted somehow. Tough to accept this.

• +1
Reactions: Deleted member 66616
Thats what makes me sad. As a 14yo Brazilian I thought BLACK BEANS were the source of everything good, therefore I ate a lot of it every single day. But even its protein content is PLANT PROTEIN, which has less correlation with height than animal protein. It also increases satiety, which is retarded since a teenage must bulk. It is only reasonable for old people, since it reduces blood pressure. My parents always said I ate well, but that I was too obsessed with black beans. Now I realized my teenage self unknowingly ruined my genetics by trying to eat beans every day due to a "habit". I cant take this out of my mind.
honestly yeah but, but what can u do? I would blame my parents if I hadnt caught on to this info younger, height is forever. im greatful this info is more available now for people who acc research it well.

honestly yeah but, but what can u do? I would blame my parents if I hadnt caught on to this info younger, height is forever. im greatful this info is more available now for people who acc research it well.
True man. How old are you? I am 20yo. I feel looksmaxxing became popular exactly when I reached 17-18yo, exactly when I was already on the verge of being too old for this. Ideally, one should being looksmaxing at 13yo or so. But I think this protein thing, is probably also mostly usefull for teenagers, since the study I linked basically says up unitl 5yo its usefull for weight and BMI, but not height.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back