Which of the following hurricanes would you evacuate from, based on their name alone?

Which of the following hurricanes would you evacuate from, based on their name alone?

• Total voters
Xangsane

Xangsane

jova
Inspired by a 2014 study by Kiju Jung et al, but I feel they didn't choose a wide range of names. Brutal blackpill for sandcels:
The paper indeed looks silly to me, although there’s possibly something there. They report that the scariest-sounding names are, in order, Omar, Bertha, Cristobal, Marco, Kyle, Arthur, and Laura/Fay/Dolly. This makes sense given the stereotypes we have (BIg Bertha, etc, and Omar of course is a scary middle-easterner, right?), but I don’t take it as meaning much, partly because these judgments are taken out of context.
Experiment 1 used five male and five female names from the official 2014 Atlantic Hurricane names. Three hundred forty-six participants predicted each hurricane’s intensity on two items (1 = not at all, 7 = very intense; 1 = not at all, 7 = very strong). As expected, hurricanes with male names (Arthur = 4.246, Cristobal = 4.455, Omar = 4.569, Kyle = 4.277, and Marco = 4.380) were predicted to be more intense than those with female names (Bertha = 4.523, Dolly = 4.014, Fay = 4.042, Laura = 4.039, and Hanna = 4.181).
The names you will see in this new poll (2023 study) are real hurricane names. Vote on which ones you'd evacuate from, based on the sound of their name alone. Then, vote on how strong they sound like, using these metrics:
1 = not intense
7 = extremely intense

It's also a multiple-choice poll!

The names that I will use for this study:
  • Deshawn
  • Ophelia
  • Imani
  • Lorenzo
  • Tayshaun
  • Humberto
  • Omar
  • Karen
  • Nigel
  • Farrah

Last edited:
  • +1
  • JFL
Reactions: PointOfNoReturn, aesthetic beauty, emeraldglass and 1 other person
why his hurricane have human name if natarul disaster ?

• +1
Reactions: Xangsane

• +1
Reactions: christian2710
Imani. I'm willing to explain why, if asked.

• JFL
  • +1
Reactions: try2beme, Av0nr, emeraldglass and 1 other person
Why?

you're welcome. Which ones would you evacuate from?
Well, here's my thought process:

It's the least intimidating name. Because it's a female name.
Since it's the least intimidating name, I would be worried that I am allowing the name of the hurricane influence my perception of its severity.
In order to best assuage this worry, I would therefore be most likely to evacuate in its wake.

• +1
  • JFL
Reactions: emeraldglass and Xangsane

Since it's the least intimidating name, I would be worried that I am allowing the name of the hurricane influence my perception of its severity.
In order to best assuage this worry, I would therefore be most likely to evacuate in its wake.
I didn't choose Farrah because I know one and I like her.

it's a multiple choice poll too
but other have normal name Nigel sound like niggger and i have no racist but hate niggers

Ophelias me
Karens me
Farrahs me
What about the other?

• Deshawn
  • Ophelia
  • Imani
  • Lorenzo
  • Tayshaun
  • Humberto
  • Omar
  • Karen
  • Nigel
  • Farrah

@emeraldglass

• +1
Reactions: emeraldglass and christian2710
i dont care man

I found this site from youtube call Tails
welcome to aryan brotherhood nazi regime site

tails should have told you nazi regime is here why don’t you join us

• +1
Reactions: Av0nr and christian2710
welcome to aryan brotherhood nazi regime site

tails should have told you nazi regime is here why don’t you join us
why his have nazi picture

• JFL
Reactions: lunin7
Inspired by a 2014 study by Kiju Jung et al, but I feel they didn't choose a wide range of names. Brutal blackpill for sandcels:

The names you will see in this new poll (2023 study) are real hurricane names. Vote on which ones you'd evacuate from, based on the sound of their name alone. Then, vote on how strong they sound like, using these metrics:
1 = not intense
7 = extremely intense

Tayshaun sounds like a Chinese takeaway meal. So I would flee.

• JFL
  • +1
Reactions: christian2710 and Xangsane
  • JFL
@Canwefixit

• +1
  • +1
  • JFL
Omar would be scary as well.
JFL in a previous study they rated Omar as the scariest:
The paper indeed looks silly to me, although there’s possibly something there. They report that the scariest-sounding names are, in order, Omar, Bertha, Cristobal, Marco, Kyle, Arthur, and Laura/Fay/Dolly. This makes sense given the stereotypes we have (BIg Bertha, etc, and Omar of course is a scary middle-easterner, right?), but I don’t take it as meaning much, partly because these judgments are taken out of context.
The rest is nothing special. They have those typical zoomer names.
"Typical zoomer names" :feelskek: :feelskek: :feelskek: :feelskek: :feelskek: :feelskek: :feelskek: :feelskek: :feelskek: :feelskek:

• JFL
  • +1
Reactions: emeraldglass and christian2710
@mrriceguy

L

1 = not intense
7 = extremely intense

Deshawn 🤣🤣🤣🤣

• +1
tagging from name related threads
@JL~ @PointOfNoReturn @Splinter901 @Sprinkles @Grel Hellscream @dutchboi @Graham @High Cortisol Chad @Kater Maxxing @Viperm @raiteii @Beastimmung @zharupodrugu @Aypo129 @Employer_Square @mecha72 @Jase @;-; @GrowthReaper @mbolo @jesuschrist @Peachy @Traxanas @GigaTyroneOrDeath @Trilogy @Bojack @DelonLover1999 @Sync @iam good boy @rubberduck @Dr. Bludy @Eli @tryingtofloat @DeformedCell @Tylermax @Danish_Retard @twilight @biscotti @cytoplasm @thenewhebbe @User49 @aBetterMii @Debetro

• JFL
Reactions: Tylermax
If an hurricane was named Megatron 3000 Destruction machine everyone would evacuate in 15mins

If an hurricane was named Megatron 3000 Destruction machine everyone would evacuate in 15mins
What about:
A news segment after a storm passes:

"... devastation left by pajeet has been absolutely devastating. margret, who has been living in this community for over 25 years has seen her house completely leveled by pajeet."
"The government is advising everybody to stay indoors as we await the arrival of pajeet."
"HURRICANE PAJEET HAS COMPLETELY DEVASTATED THIS REGION"

• JFL
Reactions: EdouardManlet